PDA

View Full Version : Going North. And the war in Vietnam is never the same for the USMC

Lynn2
06-27-10, 12:52 PM
http://www.operationhastings.com/hastings.htm

http://libertyyes.homestead.com/Operations/Operation-Hastings-1966.htm

It was just about this time 44 years ago. A large number of NVA were being observed moving around and out in the open in the area of DongHa.

The Marines and Gen Walt for some reason did not believe these reports. But Westmorland did.

And finally he lost patience with the Marines and ordered Walt to send up some Recon assets to Quang Tri and the area of the DMZ to find out for sure what was going on.

About a plt of Alpha 3Recon was sent north. A week or so later another plt from Alpha and elements of 1stForceCo were added to the mix.

The DMZ prior to this was in fact a quiet area. No USMC recon units no USMC infantry were stationed up there.

Those recon inserts were as bad as bad could be. Almost no Teams were able to stay out for their planned time. Many were run off as they tried to land or shortly after landing. NVA and the signs of NVA were ALL OVER the place. Like nothing any of us had seen before.

These quickly became the scariest most dreaded recon patrols any of us had made up to that time.

The reports our Team leaders had made were given to Col Colby the recon leader. He sent them to HQ and Gen Walt. General Walts staff it appears thought the reports to be written by a bunch of incompetent Drama Queens. They did not believe them. And they told Colby they did not believe them.

Colby kept sending the reports in. Staff kept calling BS to them.

Finally General Walt flew up to Dong Ha to meet with Colby. Col Colby later wrote that he thought he was going to be sacked.

As they met Colby suggested to the General that he talk directly to the some of his boys that were going out there on those missions. And that is what happened.

As we landed from a 4 or 5 day mission, that we were able to complete, we were told to stand fast---- that we had a visitor.

And there we stood, maybe 11 or 12 of us if memory serves me, for a few minutes waiting. Not sure if we knew at that point in time what we were waiting for or not.

But the General and Colby came out. He walked down the line asking each of us what we had been seeing out there. "lots of NVA" or something close was my attempt at an intelligent response.

Colby and the General left us and according to the Col after, Walt said to him---"Colby it looks like we have a war up here"

A day or three later the largest Marine Corps Operation of the war up to that point kicked off.

It was a blood bath.

What we had been chasing or being chased by all those days was the hardcore well trained mean spirited and very unfriendly 10,000 man strong NVA 324B Division.

They had crossed the DMZ over the course of a few weeks and were massing in an attempt to cut Quang Tri off from the rest of SVN.

After the operation concluded with many Marine and NVA dead. With whole Marine companies over run. It was decided to send the Marines north to stay.

3Recon returned to Camp Reasoner and Danang packed their gear and moved back to Dong Ha. And the rest of the ThridMarineDivision as well moved north to stay.

No longer was the Corps to have the counter insurgency war they wanted. They were now going head to head with the NVA and would for the rest of the war.

Two days after I got back from Hastings I was on a plane heading home. My 13 month tour and my time with the Corps was over.

Lynn2
06-27-10, 12:59 PM
Chili: You weren't on Operation Hastings, Payback. You weren't even in country.

Payback: Oh, eat "crap" and die, you "focking" Spanish American. You "focking" pogue! I was there man! I was in the "crap" with the grunts!

GT6238
06-29-10, 01:46 PM
Too early for me, but my Senior DI was there and was awarded the MOH.

Lynn2
06-29-10, 02:04 PM
"Upon his return to the United States in May 1967, he reported to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, South Carolina. He served as a drill instructor until his promotion to second...

GT6238
06-29-10, 02:47 PM
Yep....I now consider it an honor to have been choked by him....

gkmoz
06-29-10, 03:19 PM
Chili: You weren't on Operation Hastings, Payback. You weren't even in country.

Payback: Oh, eat "crap" and die, you "focking" Spanish American. You "focking" pogue! I was there man! I was in the "crap" with the grunts!
Could you elaborate ? Thanx

Lynn2
06-29-10, 05:11 PM
Could you elaborate ? Thanx

I am sorry. Considering this being a USMC Forum I just assumed.

Its one of the great interchanges between Marines from FMJ the movie.

Lynn2
06-29-10, 06:20 PM
Another one:

The President of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_United_States) in the name of The Congress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress) takes pleasure in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to
<center> MAJOR ROBERT J. MODRZEJEWSKI
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
</center> for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as Commanding Officer, Company K, Third Battalion, Fourth Marines, Third Marines, Third Marine Division, in the Republic of Vietnam from 15 to July 18, 1966. On July 15, during Operation HASTINGS, Company K was landed in an enemy infested jungle area to establish a blocking position at a major enemy trail network. Shortly after landing, the company encountered a reinforced enemy platoon in a well organized, defensive position. Major (then Captain) Modrzejewski led his men in the successful seizure of the enemy redoubt, which contained large quantities of ammunition and supplies. That evening a numerically superior enemy force counterattacked in an effort to retake the vital supply area, thus setting the pattern of activity for the next two and one-half days. In the first series of attacks, the enemy assaulted repeatedly in overwhelming numbers but each time was repulsed by the gallant Marines. The second night the enemy struck in battalion strength, and Major Modrzejewski was wounded in this intensive action which was fought at close quarters. Although exposed to enemy fire, and despite his painful wounds, he crawled 200 meters to provide critically needed ammunition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammunition) to an exposed element of his command and was constantly present wherever the fighting was heaviest. Despite numerous casualties, a dwindling supply of ammunition and the knowledge that they were surrounded, he skillfully directed artillery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery) fire to within a few meters of his position and courageously inspired the efforts of his company in repelling the aggressive enemy attack. On July 18, Company K was attacked by a regimental size enemy force. Although his unit was outnumbered and weakened by the previous fighting, Major Modrzejewski reorganized his men and calmly moved among them to encourage and direct their efforts to heroic limits as they fought to overcome the vicious enemy onslaught. Again he called in air and artillery strikes at close range with devastating effect on the enemy, which together with the bold and determined fighting of the men of Company K, repulsed the fanatical attack of the larger North Vietnamese force. His unparalleled personal heroism and indomitable leadership inspired his men to a significant victory over the enemy force and reflected great credit upon himself, the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_the_Navy).
/S/ LYNDON B. JOHNSON