PDA

View Full Version : E-Leave questions

florczak2287
06-27-10, 09:09 AM
Going home on e-leave My Grandfather who was prior service (army) passed away. I have my parents contacting the red cross. What else might i need to know? Is it appropriate to render military honors if he is given a civilian funeral?(just want to be as respectful as possible). Is there only a certain amount of days allotted for e-leave?

S/F

Garyius
06-27-10, 09:31 AM
www.militaryfuneralhonors.osd.mil (http://www.militaryfuneralhonors.osd.mil)

Have your family have the funeral director request the honors. They can also get his headstone and flag.

The army will either send some soldiers out or will ask a local vets group like the legion or VFW to do it.

Zulu 36
06-27-10, 10:06 AM
At the risk of being crude, I didn't think you can get emergency leave for the death of a grandparent unless that grandparent had been in loco parentis.

When I got e-leave for my father's death, I was given 10-days (in 1971).

Regarding military honors, Garyius is 100% correct on the procedure.

florczak2287
06-27-10, 10:13 AM
You can recieve it, the other guy I work with had recieved it at the begining of the month. I appreciate the information from both yall.

Zulu 36
06-27-10, 10:25 AM
You can recieve it, the other guy I work with had recieved it at the begining of the month. I appreciate the information from both yall.

I should have added that your CO could grant it out of the goodness of his heart, but he is not required to. If there isn't anything special going on in your unit, it's just good business for him to do so.

florczak2287
06-27-10, 10:31 AM
Good to go.

Quinbo
06-27-10, 11:22 AM
When my father passed I went through the whole mess of getting authorized as a dependant to travel unaccompanied. Went to Ramstein and the flight was canceled or more likely booked to carry one or more of our fallen warriors to Dover.

Went back to plan 2. Low and behold the Army stepped up and bought my plane ticket. Flew me to albequerque and I picked up the tab for the flight from there to Salt Lake. The return trip was completely covered.

You can request and likely receive 10 days plus 5 days travel on each end for a total of 20 days.

Talk to SATO or navy relief. You'll be suprised how much help you can get.

Zulu 36
06-27-10, 11:39 AM
Florczak, I'm glad your CO is a good boss. Sorry to hear your grandfather died, but I'm very happy you'll be with your family.

florczak2287
06-27-10, 07:19 PM
Thanks to all Rolling back home tomorrow. S/F.

florczak2287
06-30-10, 03:04 AM
Would Service alphas be considered proper attire for the funeral?

florczak2287
06-30-10, 04:03 AM
found the answer to my question via further online research, and the answer is yes.