PDA

View Full Version : Enlistment Contract Question

sfreeman88
06-25-10, 10:00 PM
I will start by explaining my situation:
I have a GED and was homeschooled but I have already obtained the college credits needed (signed up for college the same day the recruiter told me i needed it) and i have given my transcripts to him and they have been given the green light from HQ. I have also taken the ASVAB and scored higher then needed to do anything i want. I am also vary fit and "more then ready for basic" as stated by the Gunnery sgt at my recruiting station (PFT 290). I am now waiting to go to MEPS which will hopefully be next week and after that i am hoping to enlist. My question is about the contract. How much say will I actualy have over what gets put in the contract? For example I am shooting for the UZ enlistment contract (I qualify) and if I do get it would it be possible for me to put in the contract that "if I fail or can not complete R.I.P. or BRC for any reason that I will fall back in the MOS 0311"? If I can not get that contract (due to unavailability) and I go with a UH (infantry if I am not mistaken) contract can i put something in the contract like, "6 months after I am put in an infantry unit I will be sent to jump school/dive school(or any secondary mos school)"?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated and I would love to hear from someone that is currently a recruiter if possible just because no1 knows better then the guy who actualy has that job.

Thanks,
Shane

eazyrider
06-25-10, 10:59 PM
I don't think that you get to demand anything on your first enlistment. Hell, they have more than enough people, why would they give you anything? Oh and by the way a "UZ" is just a recruiting gig. Don't get your hopes up. You have very little say besides picking your field. Your questions are kinda funny.

gonzo4
06-25-10, 11:05 PM
I don't think that you get to demand anything on your first enlistment. Hell, they have more than enough people, why would they give you anything? Oh and by the way a "UZ" is just a recruiting gig. Don't get your hopes up. You have very little say besides picking your field. Your questions are kinda funny.

I wish leatherneck had a like button.

sfreeman88
06-25-10, 11:37 PM
I don't quite understand what is funny about my questions but thanks for your input

eazyrider
06-26-10, 01:59 PM
I don't quite understand what is funny about my questions but thanks for your input
Okay I will explain it to you. You really think that just because you run a good PFT that you will just waltz into recon? Think about it, there are many, many Marines with COMBAT experience and who meet the physical requirements that are waiting. I realize that you don't know this. It just seems that every other guy out there wants Recon. Good god it's not all that. But the funny part, and I have to laugh because I will get mad, is the part where you actually think that a guy off the streets can put into his contract that he wants jump school and other things when he hasn't even earned an EGA yet! The audacity kills me. It's also very presumptuous. I guess since you run such a high PFT that you will just waltz right through boot camp right? Oh but your recruiter said your "more than ready", well hell then your good to go. Let me tell you something. Recruiters are paid to be your friends, it's their job. They are the nicest Marines you will ever meet. It's all B.S just like your precious "UZ" option. To think that they will spend the money to send you, somebody who has earned nothing in the Corps, to jump school is preposterous. There are Marines with Combat experience that want to go but can't. I guess you rate it more. I realize that your post was just a question but damn it you rub me the wrong way.

Zulu 36
06-26-10, 03:31 PM
All the UZ contract does for you is give you a guaranteed chance to try out for recon. Nothing more or less. If you fail the try out, you will probably go be an infantryman as UZ contracts have you go through ITB.

sfreeman88
06-26-10, 09:52 PM
Ok easyrider let me resond to you first. I think you misunderstood what i was saying. I am in no way shape or form saying i am ready for Recon AT ALL. all I ment by that is by poolee standards i qualify for the UZ option and thanks 36 but I also understand that it just guarantees me the oppertunity to try out which is what I want is to try out. Please do not underestimate my knowledge of the Corp or asume I want to join recon for the same reasons the rest of the guys want to. I come from a long family of Marines and have many in know including a SGT MAJOR SENIOR CHIEF ( now Navy but has served4 branches of the armed forces for 33 years and still going). I understand what I am getting in too as far as training goes and as far as Recon goes. What I dont know is the recruitment process because the rules change so much and I dont have a recruiter in my family anymore so most of there info is out dated. I do know back in the day you could get more out of a contract because they needed more people in the armed forces but now that they are pretty much full up I was just curious how much power was still left over the contract by the "Poolie". easyrider I am not trying to be a arrogant know it all and I am not speaking to you out of disrespect so please show some respect back and dont walk on my questions because I am a "poolie". I really believe from my own family history in the USMC that Marines are supposed to hold a higher standard and you are representing them so why would you want to step on someones toes for wanting the same kind of brotherhood you have? Once again no disrespect intended. Also I want to note that as I do want Recon for my own personal reasons I would not be let down if I had to take another job. In all honesty I would be proud to serve as a cook in the USMC . My goal is to become a Marine not rambo.

If there is any confusion about this post or it seems like I have overstepped my boundries please inform me politly and I will gladly rephrase or retract my statement/question. Zulu thanks again for your response because I was not 100% sure that if you fail the try out you got put into an infantry unit but thats what I assumed.

Thanks again,
Shane

CQB0316
06-26-10, 10:19 PM
Ok easyrider let me resond to you first. I think you misunderstood what i was saying. I am in no way shape or form saying i am ready for Recon AT ALL. all I ment by that is by poolee standards i qualify for the UZ option and thanks 36 but I also understand that it just guarantees me the oppertunity to try out which is what I want is to try out. Please do not underestimate my knowledge of the Corp or asume I want to join recon for the same reasons the rest of the guys want to. I come from a long family of Marines and have many in know including a SGT MAJOR SENIOR CHIEF ( now Navy but has served4 branches of the armed forces for 33 years and still going). I understand what I am getting in too as far as training goes and as far as Recon goes. What I dont know is the recruitment process because the rules change so much and I dont have a recruiter in my family anymore so most of there info is out dated. I do know back in the day you could get more out of a contract because they needed more people in the armed forces but now that they are pretty much full up I was just curious how much power was still left over the contract by the "Poolie". easyrider I am not trying to be a arrogant know it all and I am not speaking to you out of disrespect so please show some respect back and dont walk on my questions because I am a "poolie". I really believe from my own family history in the USMC that Marines are supposed to hold a higher standard and you are representing them so why would you want to step on someones toes for wanting the same kind of brotherhood you have? Once again no disrespect intended. Also I want to note that as I do want Recon for my own personal reasons I would not be let down if I had to take another job. In all honesty I would be proud to serve as a cook in the USMC . My goal is to become a Marine not rambo.

If there is any confusion about this post or it seems like I have overstepped my boundries please inform me politly and I will gladly rephrase or retract my statement/question. Zulu thanks again for your response because I was not 100% sure that if you fail the try out you got put into an infantry unit but thats what I assumed.

Thanks again,
Shane

Your father could have founded Delta Force and no one would give a sh*t. YOU havent done anything. YOU havent earned a title. No one cares what you want and like it or not your will be just another POS until you prove us different.

As far as Recon...whatever. There trying to build them back up to where they use to be because they were officially gutted by the creation of MARSOC. From what I saw last week working with 3rd Force...they have a long way to go. If your get dropped from BRC you will go to the fleet as whatever MOS you earned in ITB.

sfreeman88
06-26-10, 10:20 PM
for some reason the site will not let me edit my last response. i accidental posted it prematurely and wanted to edit a few things. let me just say i would be Proud to do any job as a Marine in the USMC. I also apologize for my poor writing and spelling because I was going to edit that out but the site will not allow me to do so this time. On another note I have NOTHING against cooks before someone tears me down for that. I Want Recon for my own personal reason and I will strive with every fiber of my being to complete this task because the word failure does not exist in my dictionary. I have never failed at completing a goal in the past and I am not going to let this one get me down even though I understand it will be the toughest obstacle i have ever faced and ever will face. I am ready to take my shot at my goals and IF for the first time in my life I do not succeed I will still be smiling because I will be a part of the brotherhood. I hope this gives you a better idea of what I am coming from.
Never judge a book if you have not read it first.
If anyone has any questions at all please feel free to ask me in a PM for I do not see it fit to air dirty laundry in a public forum.

Thanks again,
Shane

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-10, 10:21 PM
Guess what....? Go read the sticky at the top.

Then come back and re-evaluate.

Also, just what the hevll is a "Sergeant Major Senior Chief"? Is that like a Corporal Captain? (cf MASH).

I am on the verge of shutting this one down...

sfreeman88
06-26-10, 10:24 PM
CQB once again I am not trying to say I have the title because of my family. Regardless of your title you should still show respect to your fellow man whether he has the title "Marine" or not. that is all I am saying. Thanks for the info on the fleet.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-10, 10:26 PM
Annnnd, THAT was exactly the wrong answer I was looking for.

Respeck your fellow man?

Bad news sporto, you just lost the arguement.

sfreeman88
06-26-10, 10:26 PM
Sgt Major in the army, Senior chief Navy. Did not mean to throw it all together. I didnt get a chance to edit

CQB0316
06-26-10, 10:27 PM
Oh I do show respect to other titles...SEAL, Ranger, SWCC, Para-Rescue, SWAT, etc. Besides that your asking for too much. ;-)

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-10, 10:31 PM
CQB...that was a good response.

A SgtMaj in the army and a Senior Chief in the Navy know exactly squat about the Marine Corps. I wouldn't presume to lecture them on 'respeck' or their services, either.

And THINK before you type. Otherwise that little '5 minute' edit feature will, in fact, bite you in the azz.

sfreeman88
06-26-10, 10:31 PM
it was an honest question to begin with. I dont understand why I have to get chewed because somone jumped the gun and misunderstood what was said instead of simply asking. I would just like a calm discussion. It doesnt have to get roudy

CQB0316
06-26-10, 10:34 PM
Oh gawd. Please go to boot camp. If not for anything else, go for the personal enjoyment the DI's are going to get out of screwing with you.

sfreeman88
06-26-10, 10:34 PM
And I didnt know it was a 5min edit so I apologize it is my fault. I will be more carful how i choose my words. Thanks for the input. and he was in the Corp long before army or navy. But that was not intended to be used as a "my daddy was a Marine" type gimic. I have a USMC family thats it. should have just stuck with that. once again I apologize I was out of place

Sgt Leprechaun
06-26-10, 10:56 PM
Annnd this one is done.

Oh, and channeling "WM" here, it's "Corps".