PDA

View Full Version : Hello y’all

OldTroll
06-25-10, 04:33 PM
After lurking for awhile, it’s time for my belated hello ...

My #2 son graduated from ITB-West on Wednesday as an 0331 machine gunner and is checking in with Golf 2/8 on Camp Lejeune today. So far Chris has been enjoying his training as a basic Marine and is excited about joining the fleet and really learning his trade as a warrior.

Our #1 son has joined the Peace Corps and is awaiting assignment to Latin America in six months. It’s just like DEPing, but without all the PTing.

I’m an old fart dad that has really enjoyed watching them grow into fine young men.

-Nick

Rocky C
06-25-10, 05:18 PM
Welcome Aboard Nick.

Best Wishes for Your 2 Sons and of course a " Semper Fi " to #2 Son.

Rocky

ssgtt32
06-26-10, 07:40 AM
Welcome aboard!

Maurice

foreverproud
06-26-10, 03:11 PM
Welcome Nick and the very best to both of your sons. You must be very proud indeed!

Skosh59
06-26-10, 08:23 PM
Joined in '52 ??? You really are an OldTroll and I thought that I was an old fart. :D You sons should make you proud, WAR & PEACE they must make for an interesting family reunion.
Welcome aboard!

foreverproud
06-26-10, 11:37 PM
Nick .... I think we might be neighbors if you still in the neighborhood of your high school alma mater.

FistFu68
06-26-10, 11:47 PM
:usmc: Welcome aboard Got alot of Respect for the United States Airforce,they saved our Bacon many times with them B-52'S and the Arc Lite Missions around US In '68 God Bless You and Your Sons...S/F :thumbup: :iwo:

The DUKE
06-27-10, 12:01 AM
Welcome aboard Old timer, now theres one more of us old timers to let these youngins know what it was like to be there back in the day, and what to look forward to when they get to be this age eh?? I hear you loud and clear with the advent of your two sons being involved today, kudos to your new grunt, thumbs up to the one in the peace corp, an honorable proffession true true. I know how you feeel, my oldest boy went career US Army many moons ago, went over the line in IRAQ with the first wave under the first bush, when stormin Norman ran it, my second son is a senior cheif for the US Navy in Hawaii, I believe he'll go lifer as well, damn proud of em I am and I know you are too, welcome aboard.

Lynn2
06-27-10, 08:46 AM
"Peace Corps and is awaiting assignment to Latin America in six months"

Good for him. Will be interesting to see where he gets assigned and what he ends up doing.

I had one that did a SA PeaceCorps tour. But then he did the Academy and 6 years on AD before that.

He said the different approaches to solving problems or organizing your fellow co-workers between that of the Academy/Active Duty and the PC was beyond night and day.

Two different types of work and two really really really different cultures.

Good Luck to both of them

OldTroll
07-01-10, 09:29 PM
Thanks to all for the nice welcome.

Chris is getting settled into G/2/8 Weapons platoon and having some difficulty adjusting to the high humidity. It's a big change from SoCal.

@ jeanne - - I'm envious of anybody living near Los Gatos.

-Nick

Roger Shepherd
07-01-10, 11:17 PM
Welcome to Leatherneck Nick, I hope you feel wecome here.

lehoa
07-28-10, 09:29 PM
HI
I believe that you can proud of your two sons.
They're not only intelligent but also very responsible for the social
when you become an old man, you can't do any thing, but your sons can do it for you.
and the most important thing you did for them is that they were born thank to you, and you have been giving to them a good education during their childhood
and you are always beside them.
you are a mirror which they see themselves inside.

OldTroll
12-24-10, 04:23 PM
Now the hard part begins ....

Both sons are now at home on their pre-deployment holidays!

#1 Son leaves in late January for his Peace Corps assignment in Dominica (the Caribbean island, not the Dominican Republic).

#2 Son leaves for his tour as a gun team leader in the 'Stan in mid-January.

They each think (know) that their assignment is the best thing that could be happening at this point in their young lives. Oh, how I envy them both!

-Nick

newskate9
12-28-10, 09:20 AM
OldTroll - from one dad to another welcome aboard, and ain't this cool?!!!

I have son in A-stan in Army and is quite the young man. My youngest arrived at PI two weeks ago and I just rec'd letters from him yesterday. It was hard to read them without shedding a tear or three. I was hoping for "good" letters and words can't describe what he wrote - with each one ending in "future Marine".

God Bless your sons and their choices and commitment....... and their dad for laying that foundation.

sparkie
12-28-10, 05:36 PM
The apple don't fall far from a good dad, period.

OldTroll
12-28-10, 06:24 PM
The apple don't fall far from a good dad, period.Thanks Sparkie, but #1 son thinks I'm a trained killer and #2 son thinks I'm a pogue!