PDA

View Full Version : Nope buddy I did not forget you

Lynn2
06-23-10, 06:36 PM
His name was Richard Roach.

He was an E2 Hospital Corpsman working at the Lejuene Hospital when I first met him. A nice kid. Married with a kid of his own. We became best buds.

We trained together, we played basketball together, we ran in road races together, at times we went on liberty together, and certainly got drunk together.

We both ran down the hall and threw our names into the hat for VN together. But the next day he had a change of heart. Being married and all he thought it best not to go.

I thought it a great decision for him.

A few months into my tour he arrives in VN. They were now not waiting for vol's to raise their hands. Assigned to C-Med we got to see each other now and then.

Coming out to Camp Reasoner I remember how taken he was with all the pre-combat stuff he saw. The kinds of stuff combat Marines do before they go back out hunting.

6 months into his tour they said he was going to go to a line outfit. Recon was in fact his first choice. But I sure wish I had not told him he would like it.

10 minutes into his first and only fire fight. He crawled out under fire when a Marine was hit. Fire so strong, one Marine told me decades later, that it could cut down small trees.

Dick patched up the first Marine. A guy who was now his closest friend, in his very short time, in Bravo Company. He started to another. As he turned he was hit in the chest.

He fell saying----"they have killed me"

The Marine he was working on said that he died right there on top of him. A Doc who was with Dick that day said he died on the chopper. A 2nd Doc who had been hit the day before said Dick got to the Med BN, was brought around, and then died.

No matter how it happened 44 years ago this month Dick "Doc" Roach died doing his duty.

Don't look for his Navy Cross, SS, or Bronze. He got none of those.

Just a name on the Wall and a buddy who refuses to forget.

USNAviator
06-23-10, 08:43 PM
Doc

Always tough to lose a buddy, especially one so close. The years go by but the memory does not fade. You moved on with your life, had an opportunity to marry, to raise a family, to enjoy your later years, Dick did not. He will always be 19 or 20

Yet you keep this vigil for your friend, not many do Doc.

Not a Chaplain nor a theologian but I'd like to believe that when we check out, we meet all who went before us. Some good, some not so good. I think when it's your time Doc, Dick will be one of the first in line to welcome you aboard and to thank you for keeping his memory alive

Dan

Lynn2
06-24-10, 07:02 AM
"The years go by but the memory does not fade"

Sadly I have this vision of a few years from now no one remembering Dick. So each year at this time I try to do something to remember him by. A trip to the Wall or a post like this one.

Its funny though about Dick and loss. I realized I carried a burden from his death. But I figured that other than his family that would be it.

But when I did some research on his death a few years back I saw otherwise.

Some are truly haunted right now thinking of Richard.

The Marine he had just finished working on and who heard his last words.

The senior Doc who was with Bravo company that day and could do nothing to save Dick.

The wounded Doc at the Medical BN. Hit the day before in a firefight and he or they could not get the body out of a dead Marine and had to leave him.

It was that dead Marine that Bravo co was going back in to get that brought Dick to that place. That Doc said a couple of times to me----"If only we could have gotten that body out"

There may be others. But four old ICorps vets all are thinking of Dick a lot this week.

Partly because we liked Dick but partly because one way or another we all carry a little guilt around his death.

One out of nearly 59,000

Bruce59
06-24-10, 10:01 AM
There are many that have chick on to your post today, As I write this about 140 people have seen your post. And I think like me who has click
on it three or four times today, and could not find the right words to say.

Semper Fi

Lynn2
06-24-10, 10:08 AM
There are many that have chick on to your post today, As I write this about 140 people have seen your post. And I think like me who has click
on it three or four times today, and could not find the right words to say.

Semper Fi

Bruce, I totally understand. What I wrote effects me in the same way.

Lynn2
06-24-10, 04:30 PM
While I will be darned. I swear I had not a clue. And I do not think that anyone from the 3ReconBn or Bravo Co knows about this. I just did a random google on Dicks name.

Our BN association tracks this sort of thing and of a year or so ago they did not have this listed. And all of the Bravo people I talked to a few years back knew nothing of this. I asked them point blank why no medal.

I have no idea when this was awarded.

Good for Richard. And good for the fact that his name will always be remembered in the list of Marine Corps heroes.

Silver StarSee more recipients of this award (http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/search.php?medal=5)
<!--</span>-->Awarded posthumously for actions during the Vietnam War (http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/search.php?conflict=4)
The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Hospitalman Richard F. Roach (NSN: 6969015), United States Navy, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action serving as a Corpsman with Company B, Third Reconnaissance Battalion, THIRD Marine Division (Rein.), FMF, on 20 June 1966, in the Republic of Vietnam. As a member of a forty-three-man patrol which came under heavy enemy machine gun and automatic weapons fire from the front, rear, and both flanks while penetrating deep into Viet Cong territory, Hospitalman Roach displayed outstanding courage and initiative during the ensuing fire fight in which eight Marines were wounded. Quick to respond to the call for "Corpsman," he unhesitatingly moved through the deadly fire to render medical assistance to his wounded companions. Although he, himself, was mortally wounded by a burst of fire delivered from only yards away while he was treating a casualty, he succeeded in securing a battle dressing on his wounded companion before collapsing. By his valiant efforts and selflessness in the face of heavy and intense hostile fire, Hospitalman Roach served to inspire all who observed him and upheld the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.
Action Date: June 20, 1966
Service: Navy (http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/search.php?service=2)
Company: Corpsman (Attached), Company B
Battalion: 3d Reconnaissance Battalion
Division: 3d Marine Division (Rein.), FMF

USNAviator
06-24-10, 04:53 PM
Doc

That's great news!! I'm happy your buddy will be remembered by more than his friends

Outstanding citation :thumbup:

Dan

Lynn2
06-24-10, 04:57 PM
Doc

That's great news!! I'm happy your buddy will be remembered by more than his friends

Outstanding citation :thumbup:

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I admit that I am surprised at how good this makes me feel.

It was always so sad thinking that Dick just got over looked. One of the guys from Bravo I talked to said it was just a really bad time for the company. And he thought Dick just got lost in all the confusion medal wise.

Any way to tell when this was awarded?

USNAviator
06-24-10, 05:01 PM
Thanks, Dan. I admit that I am surprised at how good this makes me feel.

It was always so sad thinking that Dick just got over looked. One of the guys from Bravo I talked to said it was just a really bad time for the company. And he thought Dick just got lost in all the confusion medal wise.

Any way to tell when this was awarded?

That's a good question! Let me do some digging. I'll post here or if you wish PM you, if I find anything

Dan

Lynn2
06-24-10, 05:03 PM
Thanks, Dan. Here is fine if you find out anything.

Doc

USNAviator
06-24-10, 05:05 PM
Thanks, Dan. Here is fine if you find out anything.

Doc

:thumbup:

USNAviator
06-24-10, 05:28 PM
Have you seen this Doc?

http://www.virtualwall.org/dr/RoachRF01a.htm

Dan

Lynn2
06-24-10, 06:23 PM
Have you seen this Doc?

http://www.virtualwall.org/dr/RoachRF01a.htm

Dan

Dan, thanks I did see that.

USNAviator
06-24-10, 06:43 PM
Doc

Again this may be redundant

https://www.vetfriends.com/memorial/honoree.cfm?hindex=63047&user_ID=

It says there isn't any bio information for Richard. Up to you if you want to add some thoughts.

Also, I found his name was added to a space probe launched in 2001. Obviously someone was thinking of him

USNAviator
06-24-10, 10:14 PM
Doc

Came up short re the award date. I emailed a friend at DoD with Richard's NSN ,all it spit out is what you have.

Gave it my best shot Doc!!

But I'm glad a 19 yo Marine Corpsman was recognized for his bravery and self-sacrifice in Nam and was awarded the Silver Star. RIP Richard!

Dan

Eagle46
07-01-10, 06:53 AM
This past year I have done a lot of research about a particular time period during the Vietnam War. I have learned the personal stories of many men who lost their lives in that war. But more importantly, I have learned the stories of love told by the people who lost them. I have learned of the honor, committment, dedication and bravery of those lost. I read stories of their actions in battle and stories about how they lived their lives, how they treated people.

There is no better honor you can give your friend than to remember him. Remember the good times you spent together, remember all the things that made him a good man.

Through your post, I now know a little about Richard. I too will remember him and tell his story when I am speaking with people about the war. But most importantly I will tell people of the love you had for Richard and how you still honor him and respect him. Thanks for sharing Richard's story.