PDA

View Full Version : Current USMC uniforms

Eric Hood
06-23-10, 07:50 AM
Two questions about current uniforms;
1) Are the "boonie covers" cut down--is the brim cut smaller?
2) Is the "new" pt uniform in general issue? I saw one on ebay.
Semper Fi,
Eric

hussaf
06-23-10, 11:31 AM
1. I think the bonnie covers' brims are trimmed down, though I haven't used the 'old style' one since my unit put a moratorium on the old school uniforms around '03. Also, the new bonnies run a little small, in my opinion. The Digi bonnie I have is a size bigger than my old bonnie and it still is a little snug. I'm just speaking of what's available on base...I'm sure third market parties are out there with variances.

2. Um, I don't know of any new PT uniform thats out there...though I've heard they are working on one. There is a warm up suit that should have been distributed to everyone by now...I was told they get them in BC now, along with the sweat suit. The new running/warm up suit is really nice actually, its made by New Balance and is very comfy. Looks way more professional than the sweat suit.

Eric Hood
06-23-10, 11:55 AM
Thanks. Can I get a bonnie cover that has been trimmed down somewhere? There were not standard issue in my day.
I may have seen a warm up suit on ebay. I thought it was standard issue.
Thanks again,
Eric

hussaf
06-23-10, 12:34 PM
I don't think the warm up suits are available to public yet...at least I don't think they are supposed to be.

I am sure the digi bonnie is super easy to find. Particularly if your not looking for a legitimate one authorized by the Marine Corps (has EGAs in the pattern). Any base, and most surplus stores probably have them.

il duce
06-23-10, 03:25 PM
Ive only seen the correct boonies at the MCXs... i know a company called tru spec makes one but the brim is a good inch or two wider and, frankly, looks goofy

gwamo1
06-23-10, 05:11 PM
Off topic, but funny story. Coming off the range yesterday, we were told to roll our sleeves if we wanted to to go to the PX or anything. So I roll up to the '7 day store' (shoppette) and their are 2 Marines sitting in their POV with no blouses. This MSgt walks up to them and asks where their blouses were. They reply with how they just got off the range and were going home. The MSgt FLIPPED out on them, yelling at them about how proper uniform attire is and made him get out of his car and stand at parade rest. Thought it was a pretty ****ty thing to do, but I was laughing.

hussaf
06-23-10, 08:10 PM
It's totally a gay thing to do but, being in Quantico, it is absolutely congruent with the environment there. Got to be aware of your surroundings and play along to get along. There is a lot that is accepted in Pendleton that is a no-no at Jacksonville Mall, let alone Mainside LeJeune.

JWDevilDog
06-23-10, 09:45 PM
Yes, the warmup suits are standard issue now, but of course not everyone has been issued one yet. It might be kind of a phasing in process.

My warmup bottoms fit fine, but for some reason my jacket is way too short. My company supply guy took my measurements and everything. Something got fouled up along the way, I don't know. ****es me off.

hussaf
06-23-10, 10:33 PM
Yes, the warmup suits are standard issue now, but of course not everyone has been issued one yet. It might be kind of a phasing in process.

My warmup bottoms fit fine, but for some reason my jacket is way too short. My company supply guy took my measurements and everything. Something got fouled up along the way, I don't know. ****es me off.

I think the top is supposed to hit right at the waist...being a jogging suit, the normal style isn't to have too much extraneous fabric that could cause resistance/weight. That being said, its funny b/c two guys in my team don't like how the pants fit. Anyway, mine fit first time...didn't have to try and trade with anyone in my team or the 4-shop.

It will take years for everyone to get one. I always cringe when they decide to change out gear; the whole MOLE fiasco, and especially when we switched to digis guys were stabbing each other in the back to try and meet BN timetable to get new gear. I remember feeling lucky to get MED-REG trousers at Mainside, Small-Long top at New River/Geiger, and racing to Cherry Point to get boots..then buying a cover off some other Marine.

JWDevilDog
06-24-10, 01:26 PM
I don't know where the top is supposed to fall, but mine falls like an inch or two above the waist, when I'm standing up, not moving. I'm currently home on RA and my recruiters' jackets all fall a little bit below their waists.

hussaf
06-24-10, 01:30 PM
Sounds a little short to me then. But then again, my mom and I have different interpretations of what a waist is (lol)...I guess I should say mine hits right at the hips.

LandsNGrooves
06-24-10, 05:09 PM
It's totally a gay thing to do but, being in Quantico, it is absolutely congruent with the environment there. Got to be aware of your surroundings and play along to get along. There is a lot that is accepted in Pendleton that is a no-no at Jacksonville Mall, let alone Mainside LeJeune.

Please explain? I was only at PEN for MCT.

BTW speaking of being "nasty"if you half roll your sleeves, SF style, after a 103 degree day shooting CMP or Table2, and hang your arm out the window, the wind will fly thru your blouse and feels awesome.

I also saw some Brits at the 7day today. They are soo awesome cause they wear their sleeves at the elbow and boonies like cowboy hats. In brit accent"hey man, where is the red gate' orade?".

gwamo1
06-24-10, 05:57 PM

Qiantico isn't too bad, you just gotta know how to bob and weave.

hussaf
06-24-10, 06:04 PM
If you go to Australia for FX, are hot as can be, and see the Aussies wearing their cammie shorts...you will be jealous.

The Jacksonvile Mall, and Walmart, is no different than going to the PX with the exception that you don't need an ID card to get there. Oh wait, Pendleton? I'm going off hearsay here (guys I've deployed with from 1/1 and 1st Recon) but they claim you can wear flip flop style sandals and they are much more lenient on civies and hair while on base. And off base isn't exactly the same environment as J-ville b/c more people live in the San Diego/PEN area that are not related to the MARCOR while @ J-Vile its pretty much military, ex-miliary, and military person's bastard/estranged offspring (with strippers and such). Even Willmington kinda sucks, but mostly because so many Marines have gotten into trouble their in the past.

LandsNGrooves
06-24-10, 07:09 PM
Really? I guess my low reg 0"to 2.99 haircut leaves me unmarked. Ive never been stopped by anybody for anything.

hussaf
06-25-10, 12:00 AM
Really? I guess my low reg 0"to 2.99 haircut leaves me unmarked. Ive never been stopped by anybody for anything.

Wow, I don't know that I've ever seen hair that long actually look good from a 0. I know most people that freak out about hair regs have no idea how short the people's hair they are yelling at actually is. I guess you've been lucky, thus far. Last time I was on relaxed grooming standards I didn't have hair that long.

The only time I was stopped in LeJeune was at the gate by a disgruntled Cpl back when I was a Lance (about seven years ago). I was returning from a mandatory Bn fun day that was some kind of stupid Hawaiian shirt day themed cookout that no one could get out of. Anyway, the Cpl. pulled me out of my friend's car b/c my shirt was untucked and I didn't address him by his rank when I handed him my ID.

Last time I tried to get a haircut on Mainside the haircut lady argued with me that low regs were no longer allowed, lol, because of the new regulations put out. Gotta love how people misinterpret the regs.

LandsNGrooves
06-25-10, 12:53 PM
I comb it in the week so It dosent resemble its actual style.When friday hits, POOF!!!!. BTW the base barbor shop is where good reg haircuts go to die. All those"barbors" and half the jokers out in town dont know how to use scissors. Watch out the asian lady CHong. Besides having th voice of a female gilbert godfried, shes the only person ive seen make a med REG look motarded. I think those people are trained to cut hair by all the Co 1stSgts on Lejeune. There is no other explaination.

Beltayn
06-25-10, 11:04 PM
There is a warm up suit that should have been distributed to everyone by now...I was told they get them in BC now, along with the sweat suit. The new running/warm up suit is really nice actually, its made by New Balance and is very comfy. Looks way more professional than the sweat suit.

Still haven't been issued with mine.

Eric Hood
06-26-10, 09:47 AM
Thanks. I will keep watching all sources.
Semper Fi,
Eric

chervin
07-13-10, 09:26 PM
Im Tring To Do My Sons Uniforms And Put The Symbol Of The Pfc On His Shoulders I Need To Know The Proper Way To Do It So I Can Tell The Cleaner Lady

Please Help,
Mother Of A Marine

Sally
07-13-10, 09:39 PM
Im Tring To Do My Sons Uniforms And Put The Symbol Of The Pfc On His Shoulders I Need To Know The Proper Way To Do It So I Can Tell The Cleaner Lady

Please Help,
Mother Of A Marine

If you are working on his short sleeves, they would be centered and midway between the shoulder seam and bottom of the sleeves.
Correct me if I'm wrong everyone.

Lisa 23
07-13-10, 10:06 PM

Please Help,
Mother Of A Marine

Personally, I would let the professionals who do this for a living and know where to put them, sew his rank on his uniforms.

4004. INSIGNIA OF GRADE, ENLISTED
http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/library/MCUR/URCH4.htm#UR4004

Quinbo
07-13-10, 11:51 PM
The peak of the chevron is 4 inches from the shoulder seam and centered. Start putting on rockers it becomes 3 inches. If you can sew it should be no problem.