PDA

View Full Version : can we turn the flag the right way on the uniforms now?

micarr57
06-20-10, 10:20 AM
just wondering if we can turn the flag the right way on the uniforms and just admit that someone just flipped it on the computer and didn't know any better. i just don't buy the idea that was set that way cause we're going north to baghdad :confused:

CplCyr
06-20-10, 03:54 PM
I think it started in the 90's with NATO requiring the flag on the right sleeve and backwards. I think its an embarrasment to have it backwards. It should stay on the left shoulder and be facing correctly. If the blue angels can keep it on the left shoulder, its good enough for me. Don't give me the excuse that it backwards because we're running into battle. Or that the field is closer to the heart. If that were the case, the flag would also be upside down. It's just another slap by the left leaning weenies in congress.

Semper Fi

Rocky C
06-20-10, 04:02 PM
just wondering if we can turn the flag the right way on the uniforms and just admit that someone just flipped it on the computer and didn't know any better. i just don't buy the idea that was set that way cause we're going north to baghdad :confused:

“The flag is worn on the right shoulder to give the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward". “This will serve as a vivid reminder that our nation is at war.”

LandsNGrooves
06-20-10, 04:32 PM
DING DING. Army units that deploy switch the stars to the "stars forward" thing, which they call"patching over". We do that same with our flag IR glint patches.

USNAviator
06-20-10, 07:34 PM
If you happen to look at photos from WW2 of the 82nd and 101st AB, you'll see they wear the flag patch, right shoulder with the blue field in the upper left. If it's good enough for men who jumped into Normandy on D-Day, it's good enough for me

What's going on now is simply a case of Pentagonorrhea. Of which their is no cure

Big Jim
06-20-10, 07:34 PM
Since I have been in Corrections for umpteen years now and still DO wear a flag on the right sleeve of my uniform shirt.....as do ALL Law Enforcement officials here in Ohio....the State of Ohio's reasoning for this is the blue field is closer to the heart.

I'm nor defending it or condoning it....that's just their reasoning which I was told when I asked about it. Being from the Marine Corps, I just took what they said to be true or correct as Marines don't have to personify the United States....WE ARE MARINES.....who else better to represent America....?!?! It especially came into play after 9/11 and the entire nation was swept up in the following wave of patriotism by wearing the U.S. flag. We need more of that by the way......PATRIOTISM...!!!!!

USNAviator
06-20-10, 08:52 PM
Since I have been in Corrections for umpteen years now and still DO wear a flag on the right sleeve of my uniform shirt.....as do ALL Law Enforcement officials here in Ohio....the State of Ohio's reasoning for this is the blue field is closer to the heart.

Jim

I understand your position. I'm sure you've been questioned in the past by citizens who ask why you "display the flag backwards"? Marines wear the flag on their left shoulder, Army on the right. We always wore the Flag patch on our flight suits on the left

I'm just wondering what is so damned important on the left shoulder of peace officers, Army personnel and who knows who else that it takes a higher priority than the Flag?

Think of all the times you've seen the Flag on a flat surface, the blue field is always in the upper left corner and a shoulder patch is a flat surface.

Just my opinion

micarr57
06-20-10, 09:58 PM

“The flag is worn on the right shoulder to give the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward". “This will serve as a vivid reminder that our nation is at war.”
just curious this is in quotations who is the source for this quotation do we really need a reminder that we are at war?:usmc:

USMCM38A1
06-20-10, 11:20 PM
also in the stars and stripe article it was to signify no retreat as the wearer is always moving foward just as the original standard beares on horse or foot charging into battle with flag pointing to rear and canton or field of stars forward.

USNAviator
06-21-10, 08:00 AM
just curious this is in quotations who is the source for this quotation do we really need a reminder that we are at war?:usmc:

:thumbup:

Does anyone know when ground troops first started wearing the Flag? I know when the US was involved with NATO tactics we wore it but I can't or don't know when it became standard. We always wore them on our flight suits and this is going back to 1980 LOL

kenrobg30
06-21-10, 09:07 AM

When you're out in public, listen to the people around you. They, (The non-veterans) don't want to know, and that is not a new Malady. ) It makes them uncomfortable, so they avoid it.There is a minority, who will say,"Thank You for your service". The rest make it a point, to not notice any thing you wear, that indicates your status, as a veteran. For the most part, we thank each other. S/F!!! Ken

hussaf
06-21-10, 11:05 AM
Hey Big J, you working corrections up in Marion?

LandsNGrooves
06-24-10, 06:07 PM
also in the stars and stripe article it was to signify no retreat as the wearer is always moving foward just as the original standard beares on horse or foot charging into battle with flag pointing to rear and canton or field of stars forward.

THIS too. This is a positive thing as I see it. It might seem small, but its a small indicator of mindset.