PDA

View Full Version : Mother, son both serving in Mideast

thedrifter
09-15-03, 09:21 AM
Mother, son both serving in Mideast

The Associated Press
September 14, 2003

EUGENE — Sherry McConnell’s 22-year-old stepson, Vincent Cho Suetos, shipped off to Iraq in June.

But unlike most Marine moms, McConnell isn’t petrified. She also is a Marine reservist. Called up in January to serve her country, McConnell said the Marines take care of their own, even in wartime.

“Actually, I was probably less concerned about him patrolling the streets of Iraq than I was when he was a teenager out at night in Eugene,” McConnell said in an e-mail interview from a base in Kuwait.

Capt. Shawn Turner, a U.S. Marine Corps spokesman, could not say how many mother-son teams have served in Iraq. The Marines only track couples in their data, not other family relationships.

McConnell works as a logistics officer, coordinating the return of equipment from battle onto ships headed home. McConnell has made three trips into Iraq for briefings with officers. She has managed one visit with Vince.

He took some good-natured ribbing from other Marines about having his mom show up, but he was proud of her, too, especially because she ribbed the enlisted men right back.

“It was good to have a mother figure around,” he said.

http://news.statesmanjournal.com/article.cfm?i=67680

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: