PDA

View Full Version : E-10

SlingerDun
06-16-10, 11:35 PM
Nope, not a new Super Sergeant. Ethanol fuel additives. Does your state mandate the use of E10 or even E20? Do you own a boat or other gasoline powered machine that might collect water or sit for long periods of time...I believe it may be the cause of recent fuel line/carb problems in my '79 El Camino that does not get driven often.

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1738

silverdollar
06-17-10, 09:12 AM
Yeah, That new fuel will eat up plastic fuel lines. I already had to replace fuel lines on a weed eater and a chain saw.:mad:

PS. plastic or rubber

Quinbo
06-17-10, 09:37 AM
Had an old datsun pickup when I was a teen .... that thing would just be rolling along and die. Then driving it it would sometimes have a bunch of stutters. We went through everything and replaced a bunch of parts. Finnally figured out that the guy I had bought it from had been using a paper shop towel for a gas cap. All kinds of broken up paper floating around in the gas tank was gumming up the works.

It road like .... zzzzz mah mah mah then died. Turn the key and back running. Wasn't getting any fuel because the lines were clogged. A minute or two rest and it would start back up.

SlingerDun
06-17-10, 10:50 PM
I had a Datsun pick up and put 50k a year on it for two years. After a ring, valve job and blown head gasket things started to pop off and bust all over the vehicle and all of a sudden like Gilligan's bamboo buggy it literally fell apart before my eyes and seemed like the engine lost compression daily. Not much over 100k

So i broke down alone the other day and have a spark plug extracted and laying there on the manifold, i'm turning the key and trying to peep through the hood opening to see if it's sparking but can't quite get an angle and don't want to snap the rear view off to use as a hand mirror....

I had no phone but happened to have a digital camera with HD video!:cool:

SlingerDun
06-18-10, 03:31 PM
:mad:PS. plastic or rubbercopper, stainless?http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif empty jugs of STA-BIL is what i've seen laying around logging outfits and tracts

DanM
06-18-10, 03:44 PM
E-10 has been mandated in Minnesota for about the last 20 years.In the beginning there were problems with clogged fuel lines,most from existing deposits which were loosened with E-10.

I have a 95 Astro with no fuel line problems and all original lines,etc. The fuel filter does get replaced every couple years.

Minnesota will be going to E-20 in a couple years.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/environment/2008-03-04-e20-ethanol-fuel_N.htm

hussaf
06-18-10, 04:49 PM
Awh, I was thinking the board convened to review my OMPF and realized they needed to create a higher rank to accommodate the level of my badassery.

ameriken
06-18-10, 05:11 PM
E-10 has been mandated in Minnesota for about the last 20 years.In the beginning there were problems with clogged fuel lines,most from existing deposits which were loosened with E-10.

We've had E10 in the Colorado front range for close to the same amount of time. Fortunately, we only use it during the winter months (Oct to Mar) because of the 'brown cloud' we get during a temperature inversion. There were also many of the same car problems when it came out.

What I dont like about it is the shiitty gas mileage...every car or truck I've had gets anywhere from 10 to 20% less mileage with that crap.