PDA

View Full Version : "Unsat", Suck, and the Corps

Garyius
06-16-10, 07:08 PM
There have been several threads here over the last months about being a real Marine, fake Marines....

Anyhow, I think the real test is our language. And it changes.

First few weeks of boot in 87, 'unsat' was something I wasn't quite sure what they were saying...

'You muther****ers are muther****ing unsat muthers unsat bullshet notgoing fly unsat...'

Then our generation used the 'Suck' to call the Corps. FTS. The Suck. Earlier Marines I drink with now that I am old call it the Crotch or the Green Weenie, but that is their time.

Then devil dog, which was already run into the ground when I was in, is now an insult.

So, anyway, unsat and the suck are clues for me from my turn in the Suck that someone else was in. I assume that the modern guys have their words.

newton8124
06-16-10, 08:07 PM
I got out in 87 and I guarantee you those terms where well in use before i went in hence way before you went in.

gkmoz
06-16-10, 08:26 PM
There have been several threads here over the last months about being a real Marine, fake Marines....

Anyhow, I think the real test is our language. And it changes.

First few weeks of boot in 87, 'unsat' was something I wasn't quite sure what they were saying...

'You muther****ers are muther****ing unsat muthers unsat bullshet notgoing fly unsat...'

Then our generation used the 'Suck' to call the Corps. FTS. The Suck. Earlier Marines I drink with now that I am old call it the Crotch or the Green Weenie, but that is their time.

Then devil dog, which was already run into the ground when I was in, is now an insult.

So, anyway, unsat and the suck are clues for me from my turn in the Suck that someone else was in. I assume that the modern guys have their words.
U)ncle S)ams M)isguided C)hildren Crotch /Green Weenie/ the suck/ U)s S)uckers M)issed C)hristmas during my time in :usmc: S/F Moz

USMCM38A1
06-16-10, 08:50 PM
I was in from 85-89 I have never used the word suck although it was in use I enjoyed my time in the Corps I use unsat and in a heartbeat often and Devil Dog and JarHead.So you might hear a few things from me but never suck but I assure you i am a true Marine.Semper Fi is also one of my favorite greetings as well as Marine.

hussaf
06-16-10, 08:56 PM
The first time I heard "Suck" was in that crappy movie about Desert Storm written by the whinny STA guy.

Green Weenie has been used a lot around my time, but not by many people.

Devil Dog is an insult situationally, mostly if you "Devil Dog" someone with some decent TIS, its an insult. But for junior Marines its kind of affectionate. Sort of like mijo in Spanish, or habibi in Arabic I guess.

Particularly in line companies...uber moto language is discouraged.

Unsat is still pretty common I suppose, but not in my company.

If someone is called "Marine" when the person calling for them clearly knows who they are...its usually because they are in trouble.

micarr57
06-16-10, 09:32 PM
we were unsat when we were prives were in the suck got the green weenie devil dog was a well used drunk greeting also Marine followed by yea you in the green outfit with the black goots out ****ing standing

echo3oscar1833
06-16-10, 09:40 PM
unsat, suck, green wennie, devil dog, jarhead, leatherneck, inkstick, porthole, hatch, port side, starboard side, cammies, blues, deck, deck towel, nasty, animal, grunt, yut, yat-yas, oohrah, semper fi, etc.

Yeah that sounds like our language, I want a Marine Corps dictionary dam$it haha!! :D

sdk87to91
06-21-10, 01:53 PM
The ones that often stump me at first are those used by other folks who respect my service but were not ever in them selves for example one of my supervisors recently called me bullet sponge. and it was intended affectionately.

hussaf
06-21-10, 02:08 PM
Pffft, what a tool.

advanced
06-22-10, 05:10 AM
In the late 60's we used all those terms except unsat, that's kinda new to me. We mainly called each other MO-Rene

montana
06-22-10, 07:33 AM
we just called it the croch in nam cuzz they kept puting us in the sh!tiest ...never heard the term suck

oldone
06-22-10, 12:08 PM
The croch is what we called it Nam also. We were known as Uncle Sam's croch. I never heard any of the other terms used, not saying they wern't, i don't remember them.

Danny C Smith
06-22-10, 03:04 PM
I remember suck and FTS well and the long green weenie
once in a while.
I once overheard the 1st.Shirt say something about The Crotch
to the Gunny but we were in the field in the Stumps.
I just thought he was talking about the sand in his skivvies.
He was in Veit Nam from what I understood from the Gunny.
I just happened to be the C.O.'s driver at the time so I got
to hear and see all kinds of privilaged stuff no one else of
my low rank did.:thumbup:
Being what I thought was a good young Marine I never
talked about anything even if asked.
I didn't know sh1t and the Boss never told me anything

hbharrison
06-22-10, 04:39 PM
I remember Crotch and green winnie and we called it the U)University of S)Science M)music and C)Culture and the only time Unsat was used was when someone high up screwed up and got us in a jam and Marines got hurt.

LandsNGrooves
06-24-10, 05:57 PM
My gunny calls non rates "blood thursties". Im not much for moto crap, but i like it.

I would prefer "pipe hitter" but im gonna have to go SF to earn that title.

hussaf
06-24-10, 06:06 PM
My team chief used 'pipe swinger' for the Marine Corp's "worker caste" but that wasn't really rank-based...or even Corps tradition.

Izzame2
06-25-10, 06:08 AM
There's some oldies but goodies in this thread.I was in in 77-81 and remember FTS, eat the apple but,"F" the Corps.I remember the green weenie being used once when a guy in formation got volunteered for mess duty.He grabbed his ass and shouted "owwww! I just got shafted with the green weenie!"
The term Bi**hes (female dog) was used quite a bit for Women Marines because they were female devil dogs.Oh course you wouldn't use the term to their face because you would get kicked in the nuts.
Unsat was used quite a bit and I don't ever recall the terms ink stick or yut being used.