PDA

View Full Version : Spotting a phony, wanabe Marine

Huss Echo
06-16-10, 08:53 AM
Liked the one about the SEALS.
My experience over the years has been when engaging a civilain, more often you'll get this in a bar or club, if they've never served, the big mistake they make is "I was a Marine", never Navy, AF, Army, etc. Or worse "I'm and ex-Marine".
They can get away with it if there are no active or FORMER Marines on board.
As a former Marine, I can engage this person in conversation and in 60 seconds or less I'll know whether he's lying or not.
They just don't get it, we, the proud, the few, the Marine's, speak a language known only to us.
Semper Fi:evilgrin:

Vandrel
06-16-10, 09:06 AM
we, the proud, the few, the Marine's, speak a language known only to us.

Couldn't have said it better

tangovictor87
06-16-10, 01:12 PM
I spotted on the other day. He claimed to be an 0621 but later lat moved to scout snipers. I just smiled and told him I was an 01xx then walked away.

Vandrel
06-17-10, 07:34 AM
Lat move straight to scout snipers..... man he must have been bad ass on the annual rifle qual while he was comm lol

Preacher
06-17-10, 09:44 AM
Pot shouldn't call kettle black. I think DocGreek got the dope on you and we've got you in our sights.

tangovictor87
06-17-10, 11:52 AM
You can almost instantly spot a poser because they're never just regular servicemen. They are "Special Forces" with purple hearts and a ribbon stack Chesty would be jealous of....

Huss Echo
06-17-10, 12:00 PM
Lock and load

Pot shouldn't call kettle black. I think DocGreek got the dope on you and we've got you in our sights.

Preacher
06-17-10, 12:06 PM
There are a lot of posers in Greeley, Colorado.

Huss Echo
06-17-10, 12:10 PM
One of the guys in our plt. was from the Springs, can't for the life of me recall his name but his folks owned a restaunt I believe was called "Jays", that ring a bell.

Preacher
06-17-10, 12:14 PM
Nope

June 1975
07-07-10, 10:48 AM
The fakes all want to be the best... that's why they claim to be Marines. They were also all in hot combat zones and earned citations.

Lynn2
07-07-10, 11:04 AM
The fakes all want to be the best... that's why they claim to be Marines. They were also all in hot combat zones and earned citations.

Yea but you spend enough time on MC forums and you realize it is not all civilians trying to be fake Marines.

I can't count the number of real Marines who have been busted over the years for posing or claiming or inferring something they are not-----a different kind of Marine with different kind of experiences.

MOS, combat, black ops, last chopper out of VN, running gun battles in China on some super secret black ops:-), pogues who served as "scouts" for the grunts in combat, guys who claimed they were so hard their entire company or plt had to wear boots taken from dead men in VN, mustangs with 20+ years in the Corps and an 0321 in their profile----not one day in recon not one day in indoc just not one day, Bronze stars + Purple Hearts+ Combat Operations that somehow all 3 never got entered into their SRB, etc etc etc etc.

For many just being a Marine is not nearly enough. For some being a Marine in combat is not enough.

These types are more disgusting than the civilian posers.

Wyoming
07-07-10, 11:07 AM
Amen Brother Lynn, Amen.

Lynn2
07-07-10, 11:21 AM
Amen Brother Lynn, Amen.

Yep Big Al this is an issue for me.

I have in fact spent the last 40 years doing black ops missions, for an agency I can't talk about since they would have to kill me, while skydiving in and killing people with nothing but piano wire.

So you can see why I hate posers.

Besides I can't prove this if I wanted to since all my records were destroyed in the great flood that followed the great fire that destroyed all the secret assassin records back in the year (sorry opsec as far as the actual year)

June 1975
07-07-10, 11:54 AM
Lynn, we served together! It's like you wrote my biography.

Ed Palmer
07-07-10, 11:57 AM
:nerd:(joke)
I was in a black ops once , anyway I think that was her name.:banana:

USNAviator
07-07-10, 11:59 AM
For many just being a Marine is not nearly enough. For some being a Marine in combat is not enough.

These types are more disgusting than the civilian posers.

I agree as well. It's in all branches of service. The guys who wash out of BUDS or flight school who know just enough to fool a civilian. Instead of being proud of the fact they even got that far, they embellish their experience. As the years go by unless called on it, they convince themselves it actually happened

Civilians are bad enough, they are wanabe's. Active or former military who pursue this are could-have-beens. Regret lasts a lifteime

USNAviator
07-07-10, 12:02 PM

LOL I think she worked the Naval Base at Norfolk as well !!

Lynn2
07-07-10, 12:03 PM
Lynn, we served together! It's like you wrote my biography.

I thought I knew who you were.

It was that Paris thing we did on those ME oil barons back in (sorry opsec)? You, me and (sorry opsec)?

I hear Tom Cruise got the rights to that caper and will be making MI-7 around that one.

USNAviator
07-07-10, 12:14 PM
"I have in fact spent the last 40 years doing black ops missions, for an agency I can't talk about since they would have to kill me, while skydiving in and killing people with nothing but piano wire.

Besides I can't prove this if I wanted to since all my records were destroyed in the great flood that followed the great fire that destroyed all the secret assassin records back in the year (sorry opsec as far as the actual year)"

Doc

You must have been part of that Op ECOMCON back a few years. I remember Col. Casey telling us how Gen. Scott lead a group of blood thirty types up Mount Thunder. That must have been something!!

BTW Frank sends his regards. That BS came through and a WO rating as well. Now he can get that Toyoda fixed

June 1975
07-07-10, 12:20 PM
MOS1310, you know better than to name names; now they are going to have to kill you!

USNAviator
07-07-10, 12:27 PM
MOS1310, you know better than to name names; now they are going to have to kill you!

Dang,forgot myself. Not a Marine just a poor old sailor boy far from the sea

Lynn2
07-07-10, 12:27 PM
"Now he can get that Toyoda fixed"

Priceless :-)

DrZ
07-07-10, 12:30 PM
"I have in fact spent the last 40 years doing black ops missions, for an agency I can't talk about since they would have to kill me, while skydiving in and killing people with nothing but piano wire.

Besides I can't prove this if I wanted to since all my records were destroyed in the great flood that followed the great fire that destroyed all the secret assassin records back in the year (sorry opsec as far as the actual year)"

Doc

You must have been part of that Op ECOMCON back a few years. I remember Col. Casey telling us how Gen. Scott lead a group of blood thirty types up Mount Thunder. That must have been something!!

BTW Frank sends his regards. That BS came through and a WO rating as well. Now he can get that Toyoda fixed

Commander....
So that was you who had the bullets bouncing off his chest and zinging around and killing the enemy? Damn.... you caused me to get my 14th Purple MoFo in in 9 days from all the ricocheting rounds.

Glad to know the ops missions made us tough and gave us ALL sorts of stories to explain the warrior ribbons that run up our chest and down our back!!!!

We can impress the hell out of any gullible 15 year old who meets us!!!!

ROFLMAO!~:cool:

Lynn2
07-07-10, 12:37 PM
"The guys who wash out of BUDS or flight school who know just enough to fool a civilian."

I am not saying this is wrong. But it certainly is not always right.

IMO supported by no facts, no data, and no link, I think it is more often the guys who never tried. Never tried for the service, never tried for that special to them mos, never tried to get into combat, never tried to whatever.

People who try and fail IMO have a better grip on things. They realize they were unlucky and got hurt, they realize there are some things in life you just can't do. But they know they tried.

For me its more likely the guy who only thought of trying. Or who never thought of trying that becomes the poser.

And then years later they are telling themselves or their brother sitting in the back of a cab----" I could have been a contender. I could have been somebody"

They think they could have because they never ran into the wall and knocked on their azz while trying.

Over time I could have done that slips into I did that.

USNAviator
07-07-10, 12:50 PM
Commander....
So that was you who had the bullets bouncing off his chest and zinging around and killing the enemy? Damn.... you caused me to get my 14th Purple MoFo in in 9 days from all the ricocheting rounds.

Glad to know the ops missions made us tough and gave us ALL sorts of stories to explain the warrior ribbons that run up our chest and down our back!!!!

We can impress the hell out of any gullible 15 year old who meets us!!!!

ROFLMAO!~:cool:

Couldn't have been me. I was in my jet pack as forward observer. Must have been John Kerry!!! ;)

Lynn2
07-07-10, 12:51 PM
June 1975 aka (deleted-opsec) did you just get a super secret email from Alvin Blackburn aka (deleted-opsec) ?

If not I am sure you will soon. Have your secret decoder glasses handy----the email will look like an ad for a penis enlarger.

He says that old Col WW White is putting something together called Dagger 111.

There will be 8 of us. A jump. We will carry the old stand-by's of BAR and 16 gage each.

Should be a quick in and out since there will only be maybe 180 of them we will have a standing point blank gun fight with.

See you soon?

I love cross threads----keeps those on their toes who do not keep up on their reading.

WXSgt
07-07-10, 01:17 PM
http://pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies.htm

Go here its got some of the funniest stories of posers and you can even submit some of your posers to the wall of shame

USNAviator
07-07-10, 02:04 PM
June 1975 aka (deleted-opsec) did you just get a super secret email from Alvin Blackburn aka (deleted-opsec) ?

If not I am sure you will soon. Have your secret decoder glasses handy----the email will look like an ad for a penis enlarger.

He says that old Col WW White is putting something together called Dagger 111.

There will be 8 of us. A jump. We will carry the old stand-by's of BAR and 16 gage each.

Should be a quick in and out since there will only be maybe 180 of them we will have a standing point blank gun fight with.

See you soon?
I love cross threads----keeps those on their toes who do not keep up on their reading.

Looks as if I'll be there as well. Me and the lads from VFA-987 "The Screaming Beagles" have drawn close air support. Good chance to pick up my 7th DFC. Tally Ho!!

MKearin
07-07-10, 03:11 PM
Funny, I kinda recall a toothpick in there...Lol!

USNAviator
07-07-10, 05:09 PM
"The guys who wash out of BUDS or flight school who know just enough to fool a civilian."

I am not saying this is wrong. But it certainly is not always right.

IMO supported by no facts, no data, and no link, I think it is more often the guys who never tried. Never tried for the service, never tried for that special to them mos, never tried to get into combat, never tried to whatever.

People who try and fail IMO have a better grip on things. They realize they were unlucky and got hurt, they realize there are some things in life you just can't do. But they know they tried.

For me its more likely the guy who only thought of trying. Or who never thought of trying that becomes the poser.

And then years later they are telling themselves or their brother sitting in the back of a cab----" I could have been a contender. I could have been somebody"

They think they could have because they never ran into the wall and knocked on their azz while trying.

Over time I could have done that slips into I did that.

Doc

You make some valid points. Especially the last line!.

Nice ref to Terry Malloy BTW.

Dan

June 1975
07-08-10, 02:01 PM
Lynn2 I wish I had seen your message earlier. I deleted that penis enlarger e-mail since I obviously don't need such a thing! I will stop by my secret drop box at the street corner and see if I have any new self destructing messages.

Jarhead6468
07-16-10, 07:57 AM
I was in an American Legion Post and met a guy who said he had been in the Corps and did two tours in the 'Nam. I asked him where he was and he said "I Corps".
I said, "We were all in I Corps. Where abouts ?"
He said "HUGH" .... obviously meaning Hue !
I shook my head, and walked away ......

June 1975
07-16-10, 08:16 AM
Jarhead6568, that guy not only was not in country, if he does not know how to pronounce Hue he was not a Marine either. He is a fake Marine and a fake VN vet.

silverdollar
07-16-10, 08:30 AM

That wasn`t black ops, that was Oprah.:D

Jarhead6468
07-16-10, 08:33 AM
Roger that June .... I'm just so F'ing tired of calling out these phonies. When I was in the crotch, probably about 1% or less were in "Recon" ..... as time goes by it seems 75% of the people claiming to be former Jarheads say they were in Recon !
There's always a few key questions to ask to know you're talking to a poser.
7.82 gear, brown side out, green side out, M-Nu, stacking swivel, and on and on and on .....

Lynn2
07-16-10, 08:45 AM
Jarhead6568, that guy not only was not in country, if he does not know how to pronounce Hue he was not a Marine either. He is a fake Marine and a fake VN vet.

You have got to be a bit careful with some of those older VN guys. Some have not aged well. Some are a bit off. Some see a great thick fog instead of a tour.

A few years back I saw this really sad thread started on a Missing Marine sub-Forum. "Does anyone know me ?" was the title.

He had no idea what unit he had been apart of for those long months. He knew it was Recon. But 1st or 3rd he was somewhat confused. He did not remember any of the Marines he had served with. He claimed he had forgotten darn near everything. Poser right?

He did though remember that he had a Doc named Moe that liked Bob Dylan at some point early on.

I knew exactly what he was talking about. He had been in 1st Recon in the states and when they came over they were at that point or soon after made a line company within 3rdRecon and sent to PhuBai.

And I could tell him enough about that Corpsman of his to fill a small book.

No doubt in my mind he was the real deal. But 40+ years later he could no longer remember what unit he had served with and had forgot every name of his co-workers except for the nick name of one Corpsman.

This VN combat vet would have failed any and every test anyone would throw at him as far as trying to figure out if he was the real deal or not.

Just because it looks like something does not mean that it is.

kenrobg30
07-16-10, 01:04 PM
Yep Big Al this is an issue for me.

I have in fact spent the last 40 years doing black ops missions, for an agency I can't talk about since they would have to kill me, while skydiving in and killing people with nothing but piano wire.

Besides I can't prove this if I wanted to since all my records were destroyed in the great flood that followed the great fire that destroyed all the secret assassin records back in the year (sorry opsec as far as the actual year)

YOU MUST HAVE SERVED WITH MY NOW DECE3ACED, SON-IN-LAW!! Accordong to his story, He was the niper, who killed an NVA General, with one round, from three kilometers away.He was a Navy Seal, in command of a platoon of Marines at the time. Maybe you were his spotter?? :evilgrin: S/F!!! Ken

Lynn2
07-16-10, 01:52 PM
"Maybe you were his spotter??"

No I was not. The lying pos is just taking credit for my shot.

One heck of a shot it was. Longest on record by far for a 12 gage. :-)

kenrobg30
07-16-10, 02:28 PM
"Maybe you were his spotter??"

No I was not. The lying pos is just taking credit for my shot.

One heck of a shot it was. Longest on record by far for a 12 gage. :-)
Lost my electric for a minute. Where was I?? Oh1 Yeah, that was with a 45% upslope, and an 60mph cross-wind right?? Or was that the other guy I was talking to?? :confused::beer: S/F!!! Ken

hillbillyjar
07-17-10, 04:56 AM
You can almost instantly spot a poser because they're never just regular servicemen. They are "Special Forces" with purple hearts and a ribbon stack Chesty would be jealous of....

Very much so.

When a real Marine wants to brag, no matter his or her MOS, they say "I'm a United States Marine.".

Past or present, Recon or HQ duty; all a Marine needs do to show off is be himself or herself.

The Globe Anchor and Eagle actually does show.

SGT7477
07-17-10, 12:11 PM
Very much so.

When a real Marine wants to brag, no matter his or her MOS, they say "I'm a United States Marine.".

Past or present, Recon or HQ duty; all a Marine needs do to show off is be himself or herself.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:, Semper Fidelis.

Wyoming
07-17-10, 12:19 PM
Very much so.

That's the way I see it these days.