PDA

View Full Version : Robert Gates taps James Amos as commandant

Ed Palmer
06-15-10, 10:12 AM
Robert Gates taps James Amos as commandant (air winger)
Politico ^ | 06/15/2010 | GORDON LUBOLD & JEN DIMASCIO
http://images.politico.com/global/news/100614_amos_ap_218.jpg
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:58:51 AM by OldDeckHand

Defense Secretary Robert Gates has recommended that Gen. James Amos will be the next commandant of the Marine Corps, POLITICO has learned. Lt. Gen. Joseph Dunford has been recommended to be assistant commandant.

President Obama has not yet nominated either individual, according to defense sources, but the recommendations were recently sent to the White House.

Amos, already the Corps’ No. 2 officer, would be the first aviator to lead the service. The selection of Amos is a huge upset since the choice was thought to be between two known infantry officers: Dunford, and Gen. James Mattis. Both men had long been considered frontrunners and brought to the job different reputations and backgrounds at a time when the Corps endeavors to re-establish its sea-service identity after more than eight years of fighting wars in largely landlocked regions.

Gates was expected to want a leader who would help focus that effort. But the deliberations over who would lead the Corps also included discussions on whether gays and lesbians should be allowed to serve openly as well as well as the future of the Corps’ favorite ground combat vehicle, the General Dynamics-made Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle, say officials in and outside of the Pentagon.

(Excerpt) Read more at politico.com (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38531.html) ...

yanacek
06-15-10, 10:15 AM
An aviator as Commandant? Obviously more hope and change.

Vandrel
06-15-10, 10:26 AM
Mattis clearly would have been the best option

Fail

Garyius
06-15-10, 11:05 AM
So Amos is gay friendly?

echo3oscar1833
06-15-10, 11:11 AM
Man, I was really counting on Mattis getting the nomination.

usmc3521
06-15-10, 02:25 PM
as long as they get rid of Conways stupid tattoo policy I dont care

Zulu 36
06-15-10, 02:59 PM
If they send Mattis to replace that f*ckstick McCrystal in Afghanistan, then I'd rather see Mattis in the field instead of at HQMC. He'd have much more influence on the combat than he would as Commandant.

Vandrel
06-15-10, 04:31 PM
^ That's true

Beltayn
06-15-10, 06:04 PM
as long as they get rid of Conways stupid tattoo policy I dont care

As deputy Commandant to General Conway, General Amos represents the continuation of everything that was stupid about the current command priorities, NOT a change in them.

Additionally, Secretary Gates supposedly conducted a private sounding out of all the potential candidates as to their support of a DADT repeal and their responses played heavily into his decision. You can probably imagine what General "Mad Dog" Matthis had to say about THAT!

I really hope this doesn't go through.

usmc3521
06-15-10, 07:18 PM
crap:thumbdown

Ed Palmer
06-17-10, 07:12 AM
MILITARY: Report says Gen. Amos will be next Marine Corps commandant
Defense Secretary Robert Gates will recommend that Gen. James Amos become the next commandant of the Marine Corps, according to a report in Tuesday's Washington Post.
The newspaper quoted an anonymous military source saying that Gates passed over former Camp Pendleton Gen. James Mattis as well as Lt. Gen. Joseph Dunford, head of the base's I Marine Expeditionary Force.
The newspaper said that Gates would submit the Amos nomination to President Barack Obama in a few days, and that he also will recommend that Dunford be elevated to assistant commandant.
Amos, currently assistant commandant, would be the first commandant to come from the ranks of Marine Corps aviators.
Mattis, a popular figure throughout the Marine Corps, was considered a front-runner, as was Lt. Gen. John Allen.
The newspaper said its source spoke on the condition of anonymity because the decision is not yet official.
The four-year tenure of the current commandant, Gen. James Conway, ends this fall.

boecanales
07-08-10, 01:03 PM
So does this mean the tattoo policy will be lifted and i could get my ass in the Corps? i mean really? Men like myself are willing to join and fight for this county but are cut short because of some ink! Feels like discrimination to people who have tattoos. I believe that i could serve my county just as well and respectful as the next man. would think the Marine Corps would welcome any willing civilian to fight along side are man and women who are in danger everyday. I feel like my services could help and maybe safe a life. any thoughts?

Zulu 36
07-08-10, 01:28 PM
So does this mean the tattoo policy will be lifted and i could get my ass in the Corps? i mean really? Men like myself are willing to join and fight for this county but are cut short because of some ink! Feels like discrimination to people who have tattoos. I believe that i could serve my county just as well and respectful as the next man. would think the Marine Corps would welcome any willing civilian to fight along side are man and women who are in danger everyday. I feel like my services could help and maybe safe a life. any thoughts?

Don't hold your breath.

boecanales
07-08-10, 01:42 PM
Don't hold your breath.

im not.

silverdollar
07-09-10, 08:39 AM
Gonna make a winger the boss and we will now be a department on the air farce.:mad: