PDA

View Full Version : Flag Day

USNAviator
06-14-10, 08:16 AM
Flag Day Today

Seems to be forgotten by most in our country but I somehow doubt it will be forgotten here

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't said nor thought about this for some time

http://www.homeofheroes.com/hallofheroes/1st_floor/flag/flag2.gif
<b><big>I pledge allegiance to the Flag</big>
<big> of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:</big>
<big> one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

God Bless America
</big></b>

kenrobg30
06-14-10, 10:13 AM
Flag Day Today

Seems to be forgotten by most in our country but I somehow doubt it will be forgotten here

<b><big>I pledge allegiance to the Flag</big>
<big> of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:</big>
<big> one Nation under God, indivisible,

God Bless America
</big></b>

I haven't heard anyone mention FLAG DAY, in many years.I've wondered at times, (fleeting thought.) when we stopped celebrating It. Thanks for the reminder, DAN . :iwo: S/F!! Ken

oscrmyr
06-14-10, 11:36 AM
This Monday, on Flag Day, Americans across the country will pause to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. The Pause for the Pledge, which occurs at 7 p.m. EDT, was started in 1980 by a small group of patriotic Baltimore business leaders. It has since evolved into a national event, with communities and organizations across the country conducting their own Pause for the Pledge.

The National Pause for the Pledge normally takes place at Fort McHenry in Maryland, but because of ongoing construction, this year's national ceremony will take place at Oregon Ridge Park in Cockeysville, Md.

WXSgt
06-14-10, 11:39 AM
Most schools and children dont even know the pledge of allegiance nowadays as it has "God" in it and there is a separation of church and state. I remember everyday when i was a kid we would say it.

kenrobg30
06-14-10, 12:28 PM
This Monday, on Flag Day, Americans across the country will pause to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. The Pause for the Pledge, which occurs at 7 p.m. EDT, was started in 1980 by a small group of patriotic Baltimore business leaders. It has since evolved into a national event, with communities and organizations across the country conducting their own Pause for the Pledge.

The National Pause for the Pledge normally takes place at Fort McHenry in Maryland, but because of ongoing construction, this year's national ceremony will take place at Oregon Ridge Park in Cockeysville, Md.

I recall, observing FLAG DAY when I was in grade school TOP. That could have been just local then, but we did have our little ceramony, IN SCHOOL, and we also said our morning prayer. We had a fence around the school, to keep the dinosaurs out. ;) S/F!!! Ken

Danny C Smith
06-14-10, 12:30 PM
Most schools and children dont even know the pledge of allegiance nowadays as it has "God" in it and there is a separation of church and state. I remember everyday when i was a kid we would say it.

Same here Sgt.
It just is not taught anymore in school.
Dang shame.
My oldest at home is in Head start
but they will all learn The Pledge.:thumbup:

Danny C Smith
06-14-10, 12:31 PM
I recall, observing FLAG DAY when I was in grade school TOP. That could have been just local then, but we did have our little ceramony, IN SCHOOL, and we also said our morning prayer. We had a fence around the school, to keep the dinosaurs out. ;) S/F!!! Ken
Ditto Brother:thumbup:

Troutzilla
06-14-10, 01:05 PM
Mine is flying.....

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/2774/usa10june.gif (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/usa10june.gif/)

(http://imageshack.us)

Quinbo
06-14-10, 01:06 PM
Just quizzed my kids and they all say the pledge every day first thing in the morning. DOD schools might be the exception to the rule though. I don't know.

WXSgt
06-14-10, 01:10 PM
ya we did the pledge and anthem everyday non DOD when i lived in michigan then friday was macarena day lol back in 96 then when i got to georgia i dont remember saying it ever again

Rocky C
06-14-10, 01:21 PM
Flag Day Today

<B><BIG>I pledge allegiance to the Flag</BIG>
<BIG>of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:</BIG>
<BIG>one Nation under God, indivisible,

God Bless America
</BIG></B>

:thumbup::iwo:

Semper Fi,
Rocky

USNAviator
06-14-10, 02:33 PM
I remember as kid watching Red Skelton recite the Pledge. When he was through he told of how the words Under God were added in 1954. His comment on that addition were to prove prophetic

" Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country, and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance: Under God. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer, and that would be eliminated from schools, too?" Red Skelton

vipere6
06-14-10, 04:25 PM
Happy flag day to you all.

Simper Fi.

USNAviator
06-14-10, 04:33 PM
I haven't heard anyone mention FLAG DAY, in many years.I've wondered at times, (fleeting thought.) when we stopped celebrating It. Thanks for the reminder, DAN . :iwo: S/F!! Ken

My pleasure Ken. I asked my class today, populated with History and International Relations majors what today was. Several wise a$$'s said it was Monday. Another said it was a pop quiz day. Not one knew it was Flag Day. And only a few even heard of Flag Day.

It's sad, they are all in their early twenties and not one had even heard of the Pledge of Allegiance. Simply was not taught to them while they were younger. I recited it to them slowly, explaining what each word and phrase meant to me. I hope they got the message because it's going to be on their final exam in two weeks

Dan

The DUKE
06-14-10, 04:58 PM
A battle cry for those of us who still remember the old ways. I hate to be the one who always has to be the downer in the crowd, but its too damn important to me to just let it slide by without saying soemthing. You are all a special breed, those of us who served in the old corp, and those of you who served after us, were Marines, that means something, its one of the few things today that still actually makes people take notice when we speak, just saying it in a crowd will garner the attention of all within ear shot. Know your history, tell the young about it, spread the word on it, dont let it die and then be partially the cause of it being lost. If you have small ones, never let them be like those older kids who didnt even know the pledge of allegiance, my God what have we allowed to take place here in the greatest nation on the planet, we've got to get it back now before its lost forever. Please for your childrens children and the future of our nation, speak, teach, preach the history we have forught and bleed and died for. Thank you.

Phantom Blooper
06-14-10, 04:58 PM
June 14

Thirteen Stars and Thirteen Stripes. It was on JUNE 14, 1777, that the Second Continental Congress selected the Flag of the United States.

In 1916, Woodrow Wilson signed the Proclamation making JUNE 14 "National Flag Day."

On Flag Day, 1942, Franklin D. Roosevelt stated: "The belief in man, created free, in the image of God-is the crucial difference between ourselves and the enemies we face...God of the free...grant us victory over the tyrants who would enslave all free men."

On JUNE 14, 1954, Dwight Eisenhower signed Joint Resolution (Public Law 396) adding the phrase "One Nation Under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.

Eisenhower stated: "From this day forward, the millions of our school children will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural school house, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty. To anyone who truly loves America, nothing could be more inspiring than...this rededication of our youth, on each school morning, to our country's true meaning."

President Eisenhower ended: "In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource, in peace or in war."

vmfn513
06-16-10, 02:46 PM
EVERY DAY IS FLAG DAY!!!!!!!!!!
I have flown the colors (along with the MARINE CORPS colors) every day that I was physically able in every location that I dropped the hook. When I became disabled. we put a spot-light on the flag pole and we have the colors 24Hours steady. The light is on
automatically at dusk. Checked and legal display.
Our children grew up with the flags.
We started doing this at houses we owned had the room to install a flag pole. This started when I got out fo school.
SEMPER FIDELIS
Keep the Faith and I love all my BROTHERS

Marine1955
06-16-10, 06:37 PM
It's a shame not even television or radio stations in our area said anything about being flag day. Not one word was mentioned, the only word that was said about flag day was from the telegram newspaper in our local town. It's funny that nobody remembers flag daymore around here. I shouldn't say funny but instead I should say sad.

USNAviator
06-16-10, 06:46 PM
It's a shame not even television or radio stations in our area said anything about being flag day. Not one word was mentioned, the only word that was said about flag day was from the telegram newspaper in our local town. It's funny that nobody remembers flag daymore around here. I shouldn't say funny but instead I should say sad.

Not even a mention until todays local rag. A couple of Pols saluting the flag with a bunch of school kids. A photo op, that's all it was. Yes, I agree it is sad and it will get sadder