PDA

View Full Version : Miramar Marines remember September 11, 2001

thedrifter
09-14-03, 04:34 PM
Miramar Marines remember September 11, 2001
Submitted by: MCAS Miramar
Story Identification Number: 2003912175838
Story by Sgt. M. P. Shelato

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif.(September 12, 2003) -- Certain historical events remain clear in our minds many years, even decades after they happen. Throughout history, a Marine may have asked, "Were you at the Battle of Cuzco Wells?" Or, "Do you remember that time on Guadalcanal ..." Marines today have similar questions they ask each other.

"Where were you on September 11, 2001?" a Marine may ask.

Gunnery Sgt. Matthew T. Olivolo, External Information Director at the Public Affairs Office here, was Recruiting Station New York marketing and public affairs director in 2001.

"I was driving to Staten Island from Brooklyn, on the Verrazano bridge, when the radio traffic report said the World Trade Center had been hit by a low flying aircraft," said Olivolo.

Thinking the first impact was an accident and realizing the traffic problems that the crash would cause, Olivolo pulled over at the Staten Island Harbor to take photos of the burning tower.

"When I saw the second impact, I knew something was wrong and realized that it had to be intentional," Olivolo said.

Not long after that, Olivolo heard a report on his car radio, which said the Pentagon, had also been struck by a low flying aircraft. Olivolo's first instinct was to blame the act on terrorism. Then the first Tower began to collapse.

"I remember thinking, 'how are they going to put out those fires?' At that point, the first building collapsed. I knew it was only a matter of time before the second tower collapsed," Olivolo said.

After the towers fell, Olivolo went to RS Staten Island, his original destination before the WTC tower was hit.

"When I got to the recruiting station, all of the Marines were there, watching (the television). All of them seemed to be in shock, but we knew we had to do something," Olivolo said.

Not knowing what else to do, Olivolo and the Marines from the RS helped other medical personnel set up a triage facility that ultimately would not be used.

"The Marines were so willing to help; we could see the smoke from the two towers from the recruiting station, only four blocks away," Olivolo said.

Olivolo said he was not surprised at the willingness the Marines at the recruiting station showed to help those at ground zero and throughout the city.

For the rest of their lives, wherever they may be stationed, the Marines of RS Staten Island will always remember where they were on Sept. 11, 2001.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003912181423/$file/9113_small.jpg

A National Ensign flies amongst the devastation of one of the World Trade Center towers. Smoke, ash and dust chocked New Yorkers for days after teh WTC towers collapsed.
Photo by: Gunnery Sgt. Matthew Olivolo

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200391218358/$file/9111_small.jpg

Not long after the first World Trade Center tower was struck, Gunnery Sgt. Olivolo was able to stop at the Staten Island Harbor to take photographs of the destruction. This photograph was taken immediately after the second tower was hit by a second aircraft. After the second impact, most observers began to realize the destruction was intentional.
Photo by: Gunnery Sgt. Matthew Olivolo

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: