PDA

View Full Version : World Cup: England v. USA

yellowwing
06-12-10, 11:35 AM
http://www.sportsmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Usa-Sportsmedia.jpg

No game on Day 2 is bigger than the World Cup betting matchup in Group C when the US and England go head to head in battle of former colony vs. former colony master.

England has the upper hand in this matchup by a wide margin, at least in the World Cup odds action. The English are roughly 2:1 favorites coming at 8:15 odds on most soccer betting boards. The US is long shots in the 2010 World Cup odds action at 13:2 in this matchup.

However, as this is the first game of the World Cup betting for both teams nerves are likely to play a huge role in the outcome of this sports betting matchup.

For the US it’s a good thing to that they’re playing the most difficult team in the Group stage first as that’s when it will have the best chance to upset the more highly favored English squad. Both teams have not had the opportunity to become use to the playing in the World Cup betting yet and the hype surrounding the event, and so the footing will be somewhat equal.

The US should have striker Josie Altidore back in the starting lineup and this will give the team a huge boost as he’s the only scorer with world class ability on the US squad and he’s got good size to match up with the stolid English defenders. The English squad is still reeling from the loss of captain and defensive stalwart Rio Ferdinand.

If the US can take advantage of the loss of Ferdinand and Altidore and Co. can find the net early the US has a chance to win this game. England will be playing with immense pressure on their shoulders and this game may be a great chance for the US team to steal a win.

SlingerDun
06-12-10, 03:51 PM
world cup hmmmm tennis?

USNAviator
06-12-10, 04:30 PM
US beats England 1-1.

A tie for the US is a win against a great team like England

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Rob Parry
06-13-10, 08:11 AM
With any luck our group of slovenly degenerates will be filing onboard an aeroplane very shortly. Then all the mania can be erased from the minds of the plebeian masses. Well done the USA team.

I remain a devotee of Rugby Union. A similar sport in many ways to American Football, fortunately we can still beat the USA team, but they are improving and will one day have their moment in history. Hopefully I will by then be mere dust in the memory. :D:D

Incidentally yellowwing, nice tits!

owdun
06-13-10, 05:31 PM
Still as beautiful as ever,Rob,and I agree with your sentiments re soccer v Rugby,no contest.:D:D

USNAviator
06-13-10, 05:42 PM
With any luck our group of slovenly degenerates will be filing onboard an aeroplane very shortly. Then all the mania can be erased from the minds of the plebeian masses. Well done the USA team.

I remain a devotee of Rugby Union. A similar sport in many ways to American Football, fortunately we can still beat the USA team, but they are improving and will one day have their moment in history. Hopefully I will by then be mere dust in the memory. :D:D

Incidentally yellowwing, nice tits!

I would agree about Rugby, hands down the English would win. Spent some time Down Under,really enjoyed Aussie Football. Crazy SOB's, often thought with it's high scoring and quick pace it would catch on here in the States

Osotogary
06-13-10, 05:48 PM
I remember rugby being quite popular on the West Coast, ie, San Francisco Bay Area...the Old Blues and the like. Was it a coincidence that every rugby player, amateur, I have ever met was sporting some sort of bandage or muscle wrap? Rugby always kind of reminded me of a quick trip to the emergency hospital.
Soccer was my Father's game, his sons, my brother and I, were given the choice of which football to play...we chose American football ...because we could use our hands .
All sports are good to go. It all depends on which sport you were brought up on, or which sport was available to play.

USNAviator
06-13-10, 05:51 PM
Rugby always kind of reminded me of a quick trip to the emergency hospital.

:thumbup::):thumbup:

stretchusa
06-13-10, 06:01 PM
Rugby always kind of reminded me of a quick trip to the emergency hospital.
Just because I split my nose on a stiff-arm to the face and broke my collar bone three days later(in practice). Doesn't make it true.;):thumbup:

Chewey A084739
06-13-10, 06:26 PM
Soccer is played for 90 mins by boys pretending they are injured.
Rugby is played for 80 mins, by Men pretending they are NOT injured
Nuff Said

stretchusa
06-13-10, 06:27 PM
Nuff Said
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

USNAviator
06-13-10, 06:29 PM
Nuff Said

That's why I can't watch World Cup, too many swan dives!

Chewey A084739
06-13-10, 09:19 PM
Nuff Said

or to put it another way

Marines play rugby
flyboys play soccer

USNAviator
06-13-10, 09:39 PM
or to put it another way

Marines play rugby
flyboys play soccer

You'll have to ask someone about that whose a "flyboy" in the Air Force. In the Navy and Marines, it's an Aviator.

What part of N. Ireland are you from? My family left Derry in the 1890's

Quinbo
06-13-10, 09:48 PM
Germany took it to Australia. I have to say that Germany got by with some really bad acting and the red card was bunk. One of the commentators said he was shot by an imaginary sniper.

I think they should just let em duke it out like they do in hockey. Yellow card them if they must and let the game continue. Taking a guy out of the game for tripping is stupid.

USNAviator
06-13-10, 09:56 PM
Germany took it to Australia. I have to say that Germany got by with some really bad acting and the red card was bunk. One of the commentators said he was shot by an imaginary sniper.

I think they should just let em duke it out like they do in hockey. Yellow card them if they must and let the game continue. Taking a guy out of the game for tripping is stupid.

I agree Bob. Perhaps they should have pools at either end of the"pitch" where all the "divers' could gather. It's a great sport when played "balls to the wall" but that does not happen very often.

Chewey A084739
06-13-10, 10:55 PM
You'll have to ask someone about that whose a "flyboy" in the Air Force. In the Navy and Marines, it's an Aviator.

easy answer.... para's...... bloody cherry berets

Lynn2
06-14-10, 07:02 AM
"It's a great sport when played "balls to the wall" but that does not happen very often."

90 minutes of playing time on a pitch much bigger than an American football field with virtually no subs.

I wonder how many here are ready to go "balls to the wall" for that length of time?

One thing though. The game does not translate to TV all that well. Its a much better game up close.

We do not knock soccer in my house. It sent two of my 3 to college.

Rob Parry
06-14-10, 09:02 AM
I think they should just let em duke it out like they do in hockey

The only problem there Bulkyker is that the rules will not allow them to take their handbags/purses onto the pitch. :D

Now on a rugby pitch if you get belted by a 6'8" lock weighing in at 18.5 stone you are certainly going to be counting sheep for a moment or three. Therein lies the difference in the games. Rugby players do literally knock spots off each other for 80 minutes, then shake hands no matter what went on, then head for a beer. Professional footballers have been filmed almost attacking the referees and opposition.

Chewey A084739
06-16-10, 09:39 PM
Also Rob, Rugby players have respect for the Ref. You dont see them ganging up to complain that one of them broke a nail. The Ref speaks and the players do as they are dammed well told

Quinbo
06-16-10, 11:19 PM
My point was that they should leave the theactrics at home. So what you got clipped and tripped. Get the hell back up and keep playing. My original post was a protest about that aussie getting red carded because some actor fell down and skinned his knee. Give em a free kick or something, don't boot the chap out of the game and make em play minus 1 because of an actor.

Rob Parry
06-17-10, 06:22 AM
To which the instant gut response is "what have the rules got to do with it!" :D

Perhaps the Corps should enter a team; Corps colours etc, but only able to play to Jungle Rules. They'd be sidelined in about 5 minutes. :D

Chewey A084739
06-17-10, 10:02 AM
To which the instant gut response is "what have the rules got to do with it!" :D

Perhaps the Corps should enter a team; Corps colours etc, but only able to play to Jungle Rules. They'd be sidelined in about 5 minutes. :D

yeah but the opposition would be carried off in 2

Rob Parry
06-18-10, 02:29 PM
As we have been wittering about the oval ball, may I include this link to the Obit for Andy Ripley, a giant of England Rugby, for the info of those expats in the USA.

RIP big fellow, you will be missed.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01660/andy-ripley_1660228c.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/sport-obituaries/7835829/Andy-Ripley.html

Rob Parry
06-30-10, 08:06 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/image001-1.jpg

yellowwing
06-30-10, 12:29 PM
Where is Ghana? :confused:

NoRemorse
07-08-10, 12:23 PM
Germany and Spain had perhaps the best match of the entire Cup so far.

So good in fact Germany is going to whip Uruguay into an unrecognizable slag come Saturday.

Quinbo
07-08-10, 12:32 PM
Spain did to Germany what the dutch did to uraguay. Kept it on their end and shot after shot. If Germany's goal tender and defense wasn't so good it could have turned out like the N. Korea game.

I agree it was a good game. I watched it from a german sports bar. Not rooting for the home team would be akin to walking into a sports bar in madison and rooting for the vikings.

NoRemorse
07-08-10, 12:35 PM
lol, the spanish gave up at least two shots on goal due to showboating; I'm talking about long runs from midfield with only one or two defenders and the goalie ready to defend; pedro in particular went for the flip instead of the pass and could have easily sealed the deal

but it made for good drama. and damn that octopus

SlingerDun
07-08-10, 05:25 PM
It's sooo cute when they swap shirts at the end of a game:angel: why not just hand the fvcker your hotel room key

Rob Parry
07-09-10, 05:09 AM
why not just hand the fvcker your hotel room key

Nah, you can't rush these things with football/soccer players. Remember they are sensitive little petals. :D

NoRemorse
07-09-10, 07:41 AM
Nah, you can't rush these things with football/soccer players. Remember they are sensitive little petals. :D

Not fair. That grass is highly abrasive. Hurts skin and feelings.