PDA

View Full Version : Marine Security Guard Questions

ssctkgw
06-11-10, 06:11 AM
I have been looking into MSG for awhile now, and understand the billet in general. However its hard to find information what your personal life is like while serving on MSG. I've looked into MSG and understand that you can work anywhere from 8-16 hours a day, but what are the restrictions when "off duty". I'm sure all that also varies depending on where you are as well.

Appreciate any information or help.

kenrobg30
06-11-10, 10:46 AM
In my case, i was assigned to the Naval Gun Factory, Marine Security Detachment, right out of Boot Camp. That was a tough place to be. Harry Trumans yaht was docked there, on the Patomac river. We had to spit-shine our eye balls, in order to pass an inspection, and we got inspected, individually, every time we pulled duty at the front gate. We had to look nice, in case Truman and some of his buddies decided to take a boat ride. I got assighned to a detail from there, to The Anacostia Naval Receiving Station. That was a very sensitive post, so the FBI, went around my home Neighborhood, and questioned my parents, and all of the Neighbors, to see if I was one of the good guys. Everyone in the area congregated at my folks house, to find out if I was in some kind of trouble. That was a real gasser. :D THE FBI guys told them I was being assigned to a 'very sensitive post', that could mean rapid advancement for me. RIGHT!! I advanced to civilian, when my year was up. :beer: S/F!!! Ken

kenrobg30
06-11-10, 11:15 AM
I have been looking into MSG for awhile now, and understand the billet in general. However its hard to find information what your personal life is like while serving on MSG. I've looked into MSG and understand that you can work anywhere from 8-16 hours a day, but what are the restrictions when "off duty". I'm sure all that also varies depending on where you are as well.

Appreciate any information or help.

I got carried away there, sorry If you have any kind of blemishes on your record, you would not be allowed to stand watch at any high security sites. The FBI does go around to your home area, and they do a thorough investigation of your background. They even check to see what your weapons proficiency rating is. It's good duty, if you like real 'spit and polish'. If you prefer things, a little loose, forget it. Voice of experience.:evilgrin: S/F!!! Ken.

Beltayn
06-11-10, 07:28 PM
I think the OP is asking about Embassy duty with Marine Corps Embassy Security Group, which is often referred to as Marine Security Guard duty, whereas you seem to be describing the equivalent of FAST (Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Taskforce) security guard duty of critical locations.

Beltayn
06-11-10, 07:46 PM
ssctkgw,
Circumstances obviously would vary depending on duty station assignment, but my understanding is that the typical work schedule is an 8 hour work day, with 6 days on, 4 days off. Days are divided into three watches (days, nights, and mids) and you will typically stand two of each watch during your 6 days on. So for example:
Monday- Day (0700-1500)
Tuesday- Day (0700-1500)
Wednesday- Night (1500-0100)
Thursday- Night (1500-2300)
Friday- Mid (2300-0700)
Saturday- Mid (2300-0700)
Sunday- OFF
Monday- OFF
Tuesday- OFF
Wednesday- OFF

Marines are billeted in a large communal building referred to as the Marine House, which will at minimum have a cook (the one staff member that MUST be provided, and who will provide meals to you while you are on post, as well as when you are off), a gymn, a bar, and access to the necessities you will require. Larger detachments may have drivers, maids and cleaning staff, some form of mama-san, indoor swimming pools, game rooms, and other luxuries.

As far as what opportunities will exist for exploring the country you occupy on your off time, it would obviously depend on which of the 133 duty stations you are assigned to and the particular circumstances of that nation, and no hard-and-fast answer can really be given. While in Rome, Italy you can simply walk out into the city enjoying the historic architecture of the Colosseum or where ever you want to explore with relative freedom, in Islamabad, Pakistan things will likely be significantly more regimented out of necessity.

This intell is based on the briefings I've been given by the MSG recruiting team prior to me shipping out to MSG school in Quantico late this September.

Hope that answered your question.

ssctkgw
06-12-10, 03:25 AM
Beltayn, thanks for the good information.

kenrobg30
06-12-10, 08:12 AM
I think the OP is asking about Embassy duty with Marine Corps Embassy Security Group, which is often referred to as Marine Security Guard duty, whereas you seem to be describing the equivalent of FAST (Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Taskforce) security guard duty of critical locations.

I'd say, you're right. It's been a couple of days, since I was there, and I have a short attention span. :) S/F!! Ken

Beltayn
06-12-10, 05:40 PM
Random A.D.D. moment: The best part about that sentence was that it provided me with the opportunity to use the word "whereas".

SlingerDun
06-12-10, 09:53 PM
did Truman ever show up to use that boat

brian0351
06-13-10, 01:06 PM
Forget researching and just do it. It's the best duty in the Marine Corps...hands down!

hussaf
06-13-10, 05:12 PM
Two of my friends were MSG and really enjoyed their time doing it....but they both had really nice duty stations (lucky, I guess...they didn't have any special hookups). One of them even grabbed a wife while in Tokyo.

FNBoot
09-02-10, 04:04 PM
If you like counting cans of corn and BBQ'ing for Civilians, MSG is the way to be!

pocatellodave
09-03-10, 09:52 AM
You need to have a pretty much spotless record.No crimes,etc.We had to pass a secret one on the Kitty Hawk,and the ones that couldn't pass,were sent to non-nuclear vessels.Cruisers were the only other ships at that time with Marines on board.We worked a port-starboard duty system like the Navy.Six hours on and six hours off.From what I've read Marine security sounds like a good job these days.The best of luck on getting the assignment.
Semper Fi

MasterGunsmith
09-04-10, 10:30 PM
Everyone needs to understand the differnce between Marine Security Guard Duty (3 year deployment) and Marine Corps Security Forces (1 year) Each is Special Duty Assignments. In MSG you are still on...

viper1833
09-04-10, 11:16 PM
MSG was the one duty I would have loved to have done. I was going to reenlist into MSG until I was placed on a PEB

Beltayn
09-05-10, 05:12 PM
That's a very enlightening piece of information. <br />
<br />
I'm told that the peer evaluation process plays HEAVILY into whether you graduate. My Top was an MSG school failure because he failed to get along...

brian0351
09-06-10, 12:17 AM
Hey Belt...when are you headed off to MSG school?

SlingerDun
09-06-10, 12:41 AM
This means a Sgt vaccuming while the PFC is doing dishes or....Ever seen Staff NCO's sweep a passage way? It occasionally happened on Sea Duty:marine:

Beltayn
09-07-10, 03:31 PM
Hey Belt...when are you headed off to MSG school?

The 30th of this month. My class date is October 3rd, Graduation date December 8th.

PGN63
09-07-10, 04:41 PM
The 30th of this month. My class date is October 3rd, Graduation date December 8th.

I joined the forums late in life.....

I was an A/DetCMDR in Prague (1/9 post) for 7 months was promoted TIS/TIG to SSgt, went back to MSG School as a DetCMDR and went to Bangui (1/5 post).

I was a Training Chief with MCSF Co Rota from 98-01 for the redesignation to FAST.

Specific to MSG, they redesignated to Marine Corps Embassy Security Group (MCESG) about a year and a half ago. I ended up feeding them a bunch of computers for the Sub Saharan Embassies back then. One of my neighbors is the Ops O.

First thing to know is that you can not stand more than 8 hours in a 24 hour period. Wednesday you could be on 08:00-16:00, Thursday 16:00-00:00, Friday 00:01-08:00 and the next two days off (a 1/5 post).

If you have any questions, please ask away or PM if you want.

S/F

Paul

Beltayn
09-07-10, 06:37 PM
When you say that a certain det was on a 1/9 post or a 1/5 post, what does that designate? Could you break that down for me?

Thanks in advance for the help and knowledge!

PGN63
09-07-10, 07:10 PM
When you say that a certain det was on a 1/9 post or a 1/5 post, what does that designate? Could you break that down for me?

Thanks in advance for the help and knowledge!

A 1/9 means 1 detcmdr and 9 watchstanders, a medium size detachment. Post 1 is 24/7, post 2 is during embassy work hours.

1/5 is for small post; many African, Asian, south American posts. Keep in mind, you are there to protect classified documents ONLY.

Larger posts (plt size) are Tokyo, London, Cairo, Paris...........

Many Marines op for the small, high COLA areas.

152statewrstler
10-09-10, 12:38 PM
I am currently enlisted for mcsf but i really want to change it to marine security guard duty i am going to talk to my recruiter about this..do you think this is a good move? marine security guard duty sounds like a job im very interested in and look forward to doing.. any advice? i ship out aug 1st 2011

Lisa 23
10-09-10, 01:10 PM
I am currently enlisted for mcsf but i really want to change it to marine security guard duty i am going to talk to my recruiter about this..do you think this is a good move? marine security guard duty sounds like a job im very interested in and look forward to doing.. any advice? i ship out aug 1st 2011

You're posting in the wrong forum. Your question should be asked in the Ask A Marine forum.

FormerMSG
11-13-10, 02:07 PM
MSG duty, like any duty in the Marine Corps has it's own highs and lows.

Some of the lows (I'll bring you up later):

-Long hours in a small box (aka the fishbowl)
*depending on where you are in the world, the post one can be hot or cold, but never just right.

-If someone goes on leave, generally you will work more days in a week than if no one was on leave. Unlike the FMF/AW, if a Marine goes on leave, it is not felt as much in the unit because of the numbers of Marines assigned. On MSG duty, the individuals make up the "loss", and is felt immediately.

-Free time is not as much as you may be like. After you get off duty at 1700, there may be an event held at the Marine BEQ (Marine House) to raise money for the annual USMC ball. You have to work it, either by working a bar, cleaning up, or prepping for the event later. At each of the dets I served at, all Marines, unless on leave or duty had to work events. Some events were fun, others were not so fun, but never were any events bad, because in the end, you raised money for the Ball.

-Midnight shift. If you are not a night person, you soon will be.

-Embassy Politics. An Embassy is just a glorified office building, but it has an environment all its own. Although you may not want to get caught up in it, you will soon after. Everbody who works there talks about the Marines, both good and bad...so get used to it.

-Inspections-This is a double edged sword, but usually, unless things have changed, you get inspected every six months by Officers from Region HQ. They look at everything. You have been warned.

-A not so good Detachment Commander-if you have a not so good Detachment Commander (SSgt and above) you will have a difficult, but manageable time-just the way it is.

-Unless you are stationed in Canada or Europe, don't expect too drive much.

-No visitors to your room, especially females. Do it, I DARE YOU. If you do, and get caught, say "bye bye USMC career."

-Expect to train alot, since MSG duty is more than just opening a door and checking ID's. I wont go into specifics, but expect to train.
*this also eats up freetime.

-You will work Holidays, both local and US Federal Holidays when everyone else has off. The Embassy is lonely then, but that can be a good thing. You just take phone calls all day from people of the host country wondering why the Embassy is closed on November 11th, Veterans Day.

Some of the high points:

-TS/SCI Clearance-it will pay off later if you want it to.

-You get extra money-SDA pay. When I did it, it was an extra $110 a month. It may be more now. COLA is not bad either, just depends on location.

-You get 100 points for promotion added to your composite score once-This can help if you are always chasing the promotion.

-You get Dress blues-that is a good thing all by itself.

-You get an MSG ribbon when you complete the duty successfully. Also you will be eligible to receive the Overseas Service ribbon as well for each year overseas.

-You get a couple of suits and some business clothes-paid for the the USMC-expect to wear them at the Embassy. Usually no jeans are allowed inside the chancery/consulate, even when off duty, but after hours is ok; just not during working hours, which is usually 0800-1800 or so.

-Girls-foreign girls-enough said, but be careful as some were former MSG girlfriends. They also know when you get paid. If you are fortunate to be in a shizzhole nation, Peace Corps Volunteer girls will love ya...or hate ya..depends on their BAC

-The rockstar status-it is hard to describe, but in certain places you have it. In Dublin, we got VIP cards from a wine bar the Marines have been frequenting for a long time. We went to the front of the line, all the time. You just have to be humble about it, but don't flaunt it.

-Depending on where you go, the Marine House may have a pool, basketball court, horseshoe court, volleyball court, big screen TV, tons of movies, internet access, a bar, a huge kitchen, and a cook (most if not all MSG Dets have cooks), houseboys/maids, gardeners, and local security guards. I had all of these things while on the duty, though location dictated what you had. You BAS allowapnce pays for the cook and food-no mealcards or whatever.

-The Marine Ball-the highlight for the Embassy. Basically you put it on. The ball can be as big as you want; you just have to pay for it by selling tickets.

-Working the Marine bar. This can be a drag or fun. Make it fun, and you will garner many memories.

-Bar in house-enough said. In Dublin, we had 4 beers and one stout on tap, plus all the Irish whisky you wanted. Be judicious and smart about it.

-TDY Trips-they happen, and are usually based on seniority on station.

Break, break

Thats alot to digest...basically you get alot of benefits for the hours you put in....any more specifics questions that dont involve OPSEC I can answer.

I wont talk about MSG school, since it has been 11 years since I have been there. I will say expect long hours, competition, lots of PT and lots of studying. Expect to have fun. Expect to follow USMC civilian clothing regulations to the T, while in MSG school, located in sleepy Quantico.

I was an MSG in:
Brazzaville, Congo
Dakar, Senegal
Dublin, Ireland
Rangoon, Burma.

Like I said, any other questions, ask.

Wood5831
11-30-10, 07:39 PM
^ pretty much hit the nail on the head. The women aka Det property can be nice :D.

Also the VIP visits are great too. I did a POTUS visit for President Clinton down in Argentina. We were there for 15 days and maybe worked 5-6 days. We had a blast.

I will add that the shifts will vary depending on how many posts you have and how many watch standers there are. When I was in Brussels we usually did 4-5 on and like 3 off. Then you would rotate to the next shift for 4 days and so on. Also one of our posts was a roving post who did not stand the full 8 hours so technically you did like 4 1/2 on. When I was in Havana it was different and it sucked worse when 2 sh!tbirds got relieved and for 2-3 months it was day on stay on.

I am sure the school has changed since I went through in August of 1996, but I am sure it is still the best duty in the Marines.