PDA

View Full Version : What is it to be the parent of a Marine?

Dillon
06-11-10, 04:31 AM
I've hated my parents for a very long, long, time now, they're complete alcoholic, redneck, moronic, and quite frankly downright despicable. None of them are supporting me joining the Marine Corps, that's good, because I didn't ask for their support.

But, if they can't support me becoming a Marine, then I firmly believe that they shouldn't even claim to be the parent of a Marine. They've never done anything for me, I got my morals from my grandfather.

So... is there like some legal way I could disown my family? I've given my whole life so far at the bidding of my parents, I will not give them the right to call themselves the parent of a Marine though. When they did nothing to deserve it.

CQB0316
06-11-10, 06:38 AM
Emancipation....google it

phoneman
06-11-10, 07:26 AM
Well as a parent of a Marine, I want to let you know that it sounds to me that you are taking control of your life and becoming the person you want to be. You obviously have a good head on your shoulders and despite them have made good decisions in your life so far. The problem is they are your parents. You did not choose them but, they are there. It is your choice to not have anything to do with them once you leave the nest. My son is currently going thru this with his mother, my ex wife of 15 years. He has chosen not to have any contact with her since she chose not to attend his graduation from PI back in December. That is his choice and that will be yours. This is your life and you must live it the way you see fit. I think once you get some separation from them for a while you will come to understand that you cant change who they are and you will either accept them for what they are or you will just go on living your life with out them. Either way you must do what makes you happy and whole. Good luck with what the future brings you.

Lynn2
06-11-10, 07:27 AM
I see that you are 18 and do not have a job.

Who paid for your breakfast this morning? Your rent? Dinner last night? Clothes? Medical insurance? Car? Date money?

I realize it could not be those crappy parents of yours. So who?

CQB0316
06-11-10, 07:52 AM
Oh well didnt know your 18, emancipation just went out the door. Just suck it up and deal with them. Or you could try the twelve year old girl approach. Just run up to them and scream I hate you, stomp your feet a few times and then run away screaming.

Lisa 23
06-11-10, 08:18 AM
But, if they can't support me becoming a Marine, then I firmly believe that they shouldn't even claim to be the parent of a Marine. I will not give them the right to call themselves the parent of a Marine though. When they did nothing to deserve it.

No matter what your parents did or didn't do for you, they will always be your parents, no matter what. And, if and when you do become a Marine, they will always be the parents of a Marine, whether you disown them or not and whether you think they deserve it or not.
They brought you into this life.

Wyoming
06-11-10, 11:11 AM

Who paid for your breakfast this morning? Your rent? Dinner last night? Clothes? Medical insurance? Car? Date money?

Excellent points in the quote.

Occupation Unemployed/Full time Poolee Interests Working out, Getting in shape and attractive <3Just what is this attractive bit. Pretty boy? DADT? :sick:

I shall be the 1st to tell you, Dillon, at some point in your life, you will find that your parents love you very much.

Do not regret whatever decision you make.

... and you cannot 'not' give them the right to call themselves the parents of a Marine. 1st, you are not a Marine as yet, and 2ndly, you had nothing to do with your conception.

Deal with it padawan!

AAV Crewchief
06-11-10, 11:14 AM
Excellent points in the quote.

I shall be the 1st to tell you, Dillon, at some point in your life, you will find that your parents love you very much.

Do not regret whatever decision you make.

... and you cannot 'not' give them the right to call themselves the parents of a Marine. 1st, you are not a Marine as yet, and 2ndly, you had nothing to do with your conception.

Deal with it padawan!

Oh snap!!! I think someone got told to "go to hades" and is actually now "looking forward to the trip".

Lynn2
06-11-10, 12:30 PM
I just found this on "another" forum ;):

"I am a parent. And I am starting to drink. Far to much. The problem is my kid. He is a lazy slug. He managed to graduate HS. We had our fingers crossed. And he made it.

But now.

No school. No job. Nothing but sitting around the house watching TV and working out. Joining the Marine Corps he says. A full time job getting ready for that?

And he seems to hate us. Sure we have fed him and clothed him and given him spending money. But just because it makes me sick to see him around the house all day and just because I am not in favor of him in the Corps all I get is hate.

No help with rent money. No help with the food bill. Just no help at all

What do I do with this lazy, unhappy, hate filled, youngen? Cripe I can't wait for bootcamp to get here."

There are always at least 3 sides to every story. But the one we see is the one we want to see. Not always the one that others see.

Dillon
06-11-10, 12:31 PM

I pay for my food, my clothes, and my share of the rent, I don't have health insurance they spend that money that could be going towards that on alcohol, cigarettes and gambling, I decided not to get another girlfriend till I join the Corps, and my step-father used and broke the car that was to be 'mine'. Just because I don't have a job doesn't mean I don't take up odd jobs for cash, mowing lawns, roofing, etc (you'd be surprised how much people are willing to pay not to mow their lawns!). Do I steal food from my parents? only if it fits the vitamins I'm in need of.

Lynn2
06-11-10, 12:37 PM
Look I do not mean to make fun of (ok a little) your situation.

But you are 18. You are legally an adult. Get on with your life. Get a job. A real job. Move out. Get away from them. Earn the title. Do a better job raising your kids.

Your life may or may not end up better than your parents. No one sets out to be a loser. Sometimes life just deals you some tough cards. That may have in fact happened to your mom.

Time to move on. Time to drop the hate. It does you no good.

Dillon
06-11-10, 12:52 PM
Look I do not mean to make fun of (ok a little) your situation.

But you are 18. You are legally an adult. Get on with your life. Get a job. A real job. Move out. Get away from them. Earn the title. Do a better job raising your kids.

Your life may or may not end up better than your parents. No one sets out to be a loser. Sometimes life just deals you some tough cards. That may have in fact happened to your mom.

Time to move on. Time to drop the hate. It does you no good.

Or.... you sit around the house all day for 20 years saying that you're 'taking care' of your kids but in reality you're watching T.V. and your brain slowly rots into mush. For 20 years she's done this, and that's just my mother. My step father had one to many beers and has slowly been killing what little brain cells he had to begin with. Seriously, people can make as many excuses as they want for why their life ended up the way it did, such as my mother, she has neuropathy in her feet, it's either from diabetes or alcoholism (ruled out vitamin b12 deficiency) yet she takes no actions to improve her overall health even just a little bit. It's called denial or laziness. My step-father he smokes and drinks so much that he is likely to die of cancer, or liver failure, either way it's going to be very painful for him.

I stopped trying to change my parents a long time ago, I accepted that they were bigots and I moved on, that's why I'm joining the Corps. The whole moving on part, I wasn't asking what my 'parents' have or have not done for me, I was asking if I could legally disown them.

USNAviator
06-11-10, 01:02 PM
The whole moving on part, I wasn't asking what my 'parents' have or have not done for me, I was asking if I could legally disown them.

This may help. Do some research, hire an attorney and have it!!

""Emancipation" is a legal process that gives a teenager who is 16 or older legal independence from his or her parents or guardians. Emancipation can be an important legal tool for certain teenagers, but you should give it careful thought before moving ahead."

Lynn2
06-11-10, 01:08 PM
"I was asking if I could legally disown them."

To what end?

You can move out of the house. Nothing is stopping you.

You can get a real job. Nothing is stopping you.

You can buy your own car. Nothing is stopping you.

You can pay all your own bills. Nothing is stopping you.

This can I disown them is nothing more than drama. As in Drama Queen. At 18 they do not own you and you do not own them.

But let me tell you that the situation that you describe can be said about a lot of people. Including Former Marines.

Drugs, booze, poor education, gambling, sloth, etc are human failings. They happen to some. They happen to many.

Instead of focusing on them focus on yourself.

And by the way a mom or step dad not passing on a car that they paid for to you a youngster without a job does not make them bad people.

The car was theirs. Not yours. They owed you nothing as far as those wheels. It would have been nice if you had gotten them. But they were not yours to get.

Besides talking about disowning someone when you are living in their house and eating their food is a bit funny.

When do you ship? What mos?

Good Luck

Dillon
06-11-10, 01:39 PM
"I was asking if I could legally disown them."

To what end?

You can move out of the house. Nothing is stopping you.

You can get a real job. Nothing is stopping you.

You can buy your own car. Nothing is stopping you.

You can pay all your own bills. Nothing is stopping you.

This can I disown them is nothing more than drama. As in Drama Queen. At 18 they do not own you and you do not own them.

But let me tell you that the situation that you describe can be said about a lot of people. Including Former Marines.

Drugs, booze, poor education, gambling, sloth, etc are human failings. They happen to some. They happen to many.

Instead of focusing on them focus on yourself.

And by the way a mom or step dad not passing on a car that they paid for to you a youngster without a job does not make them bad people.

The car was theirs. Not yours. They owed you nothing as far as those wheels. It would have been nice if you had gotten them. But they were not yours to get.

Besides talking about disowning someone when you are living in their house and eating their food is a bit funny.

When do you ship? What mos?

Good Luck

Eh it might be teenage drama, if it is then I'm sorry, but I thought that stuff only lasted for a few months, not years. The car answer was just an answer, I could care less about it.

Either way, this thread no longer provides any answers for me, I've got my answer... yes I can. So if the mods want to lock it or you guys want to let it die, go right ahead.

Lisa 23
06-11-10, 02:21 PM
I was asking if I could legally disown them.

The Marines here don't have the answers to everyones problems.
You should talk to a lawyer.

Zulu 36
06-11-10, 03:28 PM
Dillon is 18-years old. He has no need of emancipation as he became emancipated the moment he turned 18. No legal advice needed. <br />
<br />
Take charge of your life, Dillon. If your home situation is that...

tdrt
06-11-10, 03:41 PM
Eh it might be teenage drama, if it is then I'm sorry, but I thought that stuff only lasted for a few months, not years. The car answer was just an answer, I could care less about it.

Either way, this thread no longer provides any answers for me, I've got my answer... yes I can. So if the mods want to lock it or you guys want to let it die, go right ahead.

Dillon -- that is the life they have chosen for themselves and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. You just have to accept it for what it is and move on and create the life YOU want for YOURSELF. Stop playing the victim.

So where are you in the recruitment process?

Wyoming
06-11-10, 03:43 PM
Try not to shut your parents out of your life after you go in. Write to them periodically, even if they don't write back. Tell them about your successes, promotions, awards, etc. Let them know you are turning into somebody good and successful. Maybe they will wake up. But someone has to be the adult in this; it might as well be you.

Leave it to Chris to give the proper answer.:thumbup:

tdrt
06-11-10, 03:45 PM
Leave it to Chris to give the proper answer.:thumbup:

oh, so what the hell was mine then?

Wyoming
06-11-10, 03:57 PM
Dillon -- that is the life they have chosen for themselves and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. You just have to accept it for what it is and move on and create the life YOU want for YOURSELF. Stop playing the victim.

So where are you in the recruitment process?

... and leave it to Troy to give the proper answer. :thumbup:

(sorry this reply was late, but I was saluting)

tdrt
06-11-10, 04:03 PM
... and leave it to Troy to give the proper answer. :thumbup:

(sorry this reply was late, but I was saluting)

Holy Sh!t -- LMFAO!

BTW - nice salute :banana:

lanced333
06-11-10, 04:12 PM
Hey Dillon, I am a father of 3 boys, one a new Marine just graduated SOI today . The other two 15 and 13, too young to kick out of my abode. I as a parent, recommend that before disowning your mom and stepdad ,stay on the track of joining the Marine Corps, complete MCRD bootcamp take a huge deep breath, thank God to be alive in the USA, thank your DI's for putting up with your crying and smelly feet for 13 weeks...then and only then, ask yourself are they really that bad or were you just at that perfect place in life to become A Marine ! Take care Dillon.

Robert Pidgeon
08-15-10, 08:43 AM
I've hated my parents for a very long, long, time now, they're complete alcoholic, redneck, moronic, and quite frankly downright despicable. None of them are supporting me joining the Marine Corps, that's good, because I didn't ask for their support.

But, if they can't support me becoming a Marine, then I firmly believe that they shouldn't even claim to be the parent of a Marine. They've never done anything for me, I got my morals from my grandfather.

So... is there like some legal way I could disown my family? I've given my whole life so far at the bidding of my parents, I will not give them the right to call themselves the parent of a Marine though. When they did nothing to deserve it.

My parents have never been that bad, but my dad is an alcoholic, so I might know a thing or two where your coming from. As for my mom, she is a worry wart. I'm flippin 19 years of age, and she still calls me baby... WTH!? IDk, I just graduated HS, got my hard earned deploma, and currently, with the job market, I cannot get into a job, my life is headed nowhere at the moment, and I've always wanted to become a Marine. My grandpa Veron Leroy Bryant was a Marine, (served in the Pacific Theater) He died before I was born, I think he was in his late 70s. I have nothing to go by but stories from my other awesome grandparents.

I think its time I grow some, and just go enlist, but I am doing this P90X, so It will make it a lot easier on my body during boot. As for finding a family, the Marine Corps is all I need, and then some. Although, I'm not saying that I am disowning my parents, I think of the Marines as my home away from home. GL, and stay safe!

why me
08-15-10, 09:00 AM

Did you ever stop to think as to why they drink and all of that other stuff?
Like you might be the cause of it.
When you leave they might sober up and be happy.
Think about this.

Zulu 36
08-15-10, 10:53 AM
Did you ever stop to think as to why they drink and all of that other stuff?
Like you might be the cause of it.
When you leave they might sober up and be happy.
Think about this.

Before anyone can give the least amount of credence to this so-called answer, you must follow the site rules and post a completed profile.

Phantom Blooper
08-15-10, 11:07 AM
Dear Dad,

No mun

No fun

Your,
Son

Dear Son,

To bad

So sad

Your,
Dad