PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Move Opinion

usmcharper
06-10-10, 11:36 PM
Good Evening everyone,
I've been in the Corps for a little over 4 years and it has come to the time that many look forward too at different perspectives.....reenlistment. I've already made up my mind that I will reenlist if approved, but I just can't make up my mind on whether I want to stay in my current MOS. (6074) Cryogenic Equipment Operator, or lat move into something that I will hopefully enjoy better.

The problem is that I am good at my job, but I just don't like it. It was ok and just ok until I deployed as an IA on a PTT to Iraq. There I got a good taste of the ground side and really enjoyed it. It was tough as hell at times but I really enjoyed it.

If I was single I don't think that I would have any doubt about lat moving but since I'm married and have two step children I'm really wanting to do what's best for me and my family.

What I really want to know is what's everyone's opinion on how this will eventually affect my selection for Staff Sgt. Now I know that I'm only a Cpl now but I'm always trying to plan ahead and make the best possible decision.

Thanks in advance for all your input and have a motivated weekend. Semper Fi

MintusMaximus
06-11-10, 01:05 AM
Semper Fi brother. I hadn't read your thread before I posted mine. I was looking at LAT move options myself. However I opted to stay in my MOS.

Cryogenic Equipment Operator, what exactly is that?

To be honest I've been told by my coworkers and buddy's who did re-up that they did so for their families. I helped a buddy of mine move some furniture itno his on base houseing recently and the housing here @ Patch Barracks is really nice. I was told Miramar is even better.

I guess I would say from what I've been told staying in is great for people with families. If that helps?

Quinbo
06-11-10, 01:23 AM
Patch is a freakin ghetto.

MintusMaximus
06-11-10, 02:19 AM
Patch is a freakin ghetto.

Compared to the Army BEQ I'm in w/ it's communal heads and lack of hot water. It's the bomb. lol

Beltayn
06-11-10, 07:54 PM
Cryogenics? That's when they put biologicals into suspended animation by freezing them down until the cells stop moving. Like when in Sci Fi flicks they put people into hypersleep for long space flights.

We have that?
Holy crap.

usmcharper
06-11-10, 08:50 PM
In Cryo we produce & store liquid oxygen and nitrogen. The lox is used for the pilot's to breath while the nitrogen is used to fill tires, purge fuel cell, cool the wings after missiles are fired and all that jazz.

What I'm really wanting to get out of this thread is info from anyone that has lat moved and whether or not that slowed their promotion to SSgt or not. I'm just trying to look as far into the future as possible and ensure that I'm making the right decision. I really do not like my current MOS.

usmcgunrock
06-12-10, 03:25 AM
I have three different MOS's in my SRB. Two of which where OJT. As far as slowing down your promotion it all depends on what field you go to and how fast you pick up on the job. What MOS's where you thinking of going to?

usmcharper
06-25-10, 06:00 AM
I apologize for it taking so long to respond but I'm on PTAD and alot has been going on. I'm thinking about going into 1833. I did a IA deployment in 09 and enjoyed everything about it.

Accord
06-26-10, 03:02 AM
Lat moving will not have any adverse effects towards promotion to SSGT. I lat moved and reenlisted, picked up SGT in my new MOS a few months ago, and this time next year i'll be in zone and most likely selected for promotion. If I stayed in the grunts i'd probably have to do another 4+ years at least before I even dreamed about picking up Staff.