PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes at Arlington National

USNAviator
06-10-10, 01:54 PM
Reporting from Washington —
The Army has misidentified the graves of some of the war dead buried in Arlington National Cemetery, and in least one case buried the body of one service member on top of another, Defense officials disclosed Thursday.

Army Secretary John McHugh has ousted the cemetery's superintendent and his deputy in the wake of a Pentagon inspector general's report highlighting the mismanagement, poor record keeping and other problems at the cemetery, one of the government's most venerated memorials.

It was not clear whether the Army has been able to correct the problems at the cemetery, or if there continue to be a number of graves that remain mismarked.

<hr class="hr-promo"> » Don't miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered to your inbox. (http://www.latimes.com/la-email-splash-page,0,121618.htmlstory) <hr class="hr-promo">

The report divulging the irregularities sent Pentagon officials scrambling on Thursday. Military officials regard the dignified treatment of personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan as one of their top priorities.

Although it is not known exactly how many graves were mismarked or the extent of the record keeping problems, Defense officials were deeply embarrassed by the mistakes.

Problems first came to light in 2008 when the widow of a fallen staff sergeant complained that the wrong headstone had been placed on her husband's grave. An investigation found that an Air Force master sergeant had been buried in the same spot, on top of the other service member.

The Army was planning to release the inspector general's report at 2 p.m. EDT Thursday, and McHugh is scheduled to hold a news conference to discuss the findings.

John Metzler, the cemetery superintendent, announced last month that he intended to retire on July 2. But Defense officials said Metzler and his deputy, Thurman Higgenbotham, have been forced out. Both may face punitive action, according to Defense officials.

In an interview with the Marine Corps Times, Metzler acknowledged some problems, but defended his work.

"Nobody here is doing anything malicious," Metzler said. "Sure mistakes get made … does anyone run a perfect organization?"

A follow up to this stated there have been over 200 mismarked graves.

Bruce59
06-10-10, 02:21 PM
It was about about six mouths ago one of our members said that they were at Arlington and you could not get any help finding where any of
the graves that you were looking for were. And that most of the Staff didn't even speak english. And that all paper work, was just that, paper work, no computer files. I can't remember who of us told us back then how bad it was, but they were right. Now somebody should start getting
it right, NOW.

Zulu 36
06-10-10, 02:28 PM
I think Congress should just give the ANC administration job over to the Marine Corps, along with the budget money. I think the Corps would have a much better grasp on the importance and traditions of Arlington.

The Army can still do their 3rd Infantry thing at the Tomb of the Unknowns and the other ceremonial duties they've performed for years. That part doesn't seem to be an issue, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Rocky C
06-10-10, 03:24 PM
I just heard the Superintendent and his Deputy are retirering next month but says that is has nothing to do with the 3 incidents.

Yeah Right!!!

See Ya..............

Semper Fi,
Rocky

USNAviator
06-10-10, 04:33 PM
Just caught an update that there are 211 mistake marked graves. I'm sure this figure will increase. How incredibly disrespectful and hurtful.

" "Nobody here is doing anything malicious," Metzler said. "Sure mistakes get made … does anyone run a perfect organization?"

It's the arrogance of this "Administrator" that gets me. He and his deputy have been canned.

OLE SARG
06-10-10, 05:11 PM
What about some criminal charges for these pukes????????? Surely, the stinky one, I mean deer leeder can get this sh it straightened out HA HA <br />
<br />
SEMPER FI,

Rocky C
06-10-10, 05:26 PM
AGREE :thumbup:

USNAviator
06-11-10, 05:25 PM
I don't there will be any charges filed, at least not by the Army: <br />
<br />
<br />
The Army reacted to reports of unmarked and misidentified graves at the Arlington Cemetery Thursday by...