PDA

View Full Version : The Things We Must Never Forget

thedrifter
09-14-03, 06:06 AM
09-09-2003

The Things We Must Never Forget

By Matthew Dodd

President George W. Bush spoke to the nation last Sunday night, just four days prior to the second anniversary of the worst terrorist attack against America and Americans in our history.

Sometimes, it takes the leadership of a Commander-in-Chief to remind and reassure his citizens and the world that he is committed to defending his people and their way of life against all threats and enemies, both foreign and domestic. The president’s timing and his message let everyone know that he clearly remembers 9/11 and his vow to defeat those responsible for global terrorism.

A few months ago, I was privileged to see and hear country music singer Darryl Worley perform in the Pentagon courtyard. He had recently returned from visiting our troops deployed in support of our global war on terrorism. He sang a few of his current songs that highlighted American values and a patriotic love for our country. I enjoyed his performance so much, I now have his latest compact disc (CD) and listen to it all the time.

My favorite song is also the title of the CD: “Have you forgotten?” To me, this song is pregnant with meaning, and with the second anniversary of the 9/11 attacks this Thursday, worthy and appropriate as a stimulus for individual and national reflection. Let me share with you some song excerpts and my thoughts and recollections as inspired by those words.

“Have you forgotten how it felt that day

To see your homeland under fire and her people blown away?

Have you forgotten when those towers fell?

We had neighbors still inside going through a living hell

And you say we shouldn’t worry ‘bout Bin Laden

(And we vowed to get the ones behind Bin Laden)

Have you forgotten?”

No, I have not forgotten what happened in my country on Sept. 11, 2001. Like many Americans, I saw the day’s events unravel before my eyes on a television screen.

I remember having the meeting I was in get interrupted by a gentleman who apologized and said that he thought there was something on the television about which everyone would want to know. Little did anyone know that the first plane crash into one of the World Trade Center towers was just the beginning.

I remember seeing that second plane circle in from behind and crash into the second tower.

I remember getting goose-bumps as I realized that those two plane crashes were not accidents.

I remember the incredulous anxiety/adrenaline rush I experienced as I watched both towers collapse.

I remember thinking about how hopeless and vulnerable I felt, and also thinking about all the selfless rescue people whose own instincts led them into an unexpected hellish Hades from which they would never escape.

“Have you forgotten all the people killed?

Yeah, some went down like heroes in that Pennsylvania field.

Have you forgotten about our Pentagon?

All the loved ones that we lost

And those left to carry on

Don’t you tell me not to worry ‘bout Bin Laden

Have you forgotten?”

Being stationed at the Pentagon at the time of the 9/11 attacks, I do not think I will ever forget about the death and destruction that happened that day. I feel blessed and fortunate that I only knew three of the victims. I know there were many others who lost scores of friends, loved ones, family, and acquaintances. I also know there were some who lost a friend, loved one, family, or acquaintance in their lives who mattered to them the most.

I remember hearing about the cell phone calls from United Airlines Flight 93 moments before it crashed in Pennsylvania. I remember clenching my teeth, thrusting my clenched fist in the air, and exclaiming, “YES!” when I learned how the Flight 93 heroes thwarted their hijackers’ plans.

I remember wondering about what must have been going through the minds of the crew, the passengers on the plane, and the people on the receiving end of those precious and unbelievable calls. I still wonder if I would have the character and presence of mind to do what the Flight 93 heroes did if I faced the same dire situation.

I remember returning to the Pentagon on Sept. 12, 2001, a place in which I had never felt threatened or at risk before the attack. I remember struggling to accept the fact that the building was still burning, and wondering if I knew any of the victims. I suspect the burning in my eyes that day was a combination of the smoke, my own emotional response to my known losses (my innocence, my ignorance, my sense of security), and my smoldering anger and hatred for those who inflicted such pain and destruction on so many of my innocent fellow citizens.

My thanks to President Bush and Darryl Worley for reminding all Americans why we are now two years into our global war on terrorism. I sincerely hope the president’s speech and Darryl’s song will serve as catalysts for sober reflection by all Americans on our individual and national resolve to defeat terrorism.

We did not start this global war on terrorism as much as terrorism chose us, but we did vow to end it. Or have we already forgotten?

Lt. Col. Matthew Dodd USMC is a Senior Editor of DefenseWatch. He can be reached at mattdodd1775@hotmail.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=DefenseWatch.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=191&rnd=701.3778968410245

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: