PDA

View Full Version : New VA Benefits Claim Form: Just 6 Pages

Rocky C
06-09-10, 05:50 PM
By Kelly Kennedy - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Jun 9, 2010 17:05:40 EDT

After years of complaints from veterans about having to fill out a 26-page-long benefits claims form for the Veterans Affairs Department, the Office of Management and Budget has approved VA’s new six-page form.

As the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have progressed, the 26-page application became particularly troublesome for veterans dealing with traumatic brain injuries or post-traumatic stress disorder, both of which can cause short-term memory loss and other cognitive issues.

“It’s a good thing and we’re pleased,” said Paul Sullivan, executive director of Veterans for Common Sense. “In our view, the current form is burdensome. It’s too long.”

VA spokesman Steve Westerfeld confirmed in a voicemail that VA had shortened VA Form 21-526, as well as creating a new “express claim” form, or 21-526EZ, which is six pages long and requires that the veteran provide his own medical and military records, rather than waiting for VA to gather them.

The EZ form comes as a result of a pilot program mandated by the Veterans’ Benefit Improvement Act of 2008. That pilot program will now be expanded to include everyone, according to VA’s May Compensation & Pension Service Bulletin.

Sullivan, along with other veterans’ service groups and several members of congress, have pushed for the shorter form.

Tom Staudter, spokesman for Rep. John Hall, D-N.Y., said Hall had talked with several veterans who said they couldn’t fill out the lengthy form, and therefore never received any disability compensation. Hall is chairman of the House Veterans’ Affairs subcommittee on disability affairs and memorial assistance.

When Hall met with veterans again last week and told them about the new six-page form, “they were absolutely pleased to hear it’s on the horizon,” Staudter said.

Sullivan said that, by reducing the form from 26 pages to 6 pages, VA could kill about 20 million pages of paperwork, per the 1 million claims expected this year.

“Filing a 26-page disability claim is undoubtedly a daunting process for veterans, particularly those who have traumatic brain injury or post-traumatic stress disorder,” said Amy Fairweather, policy director for Swords to Plowshares, an organization that provides counseling, case management, and job training to veterans in San Francisco, and which has argued for a shorter form. “The change to a simpler six-page application will certainly break down barriers not only for veterans, but also for advocates and VA staff.”

Several other veterans service groups, such as Disabled American Veterans and the American Legion, have also argued for the shorter forms during congressional hearings.

Sullivan said the 26-page form creates a barrier for the veterans that, in turn, creates an adversarial atmosphere. For example, the old form asks a veteran to detail his or her military service, which seems like finding a lot of details that are already readily available to VA.

“The guys say, ‘Doesn’t the government know when I served?’” Sullivan said.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-12-10, 08:17 PM
Wish they had this last year when I put MY claim in. That's great though.

hbharrison
06-12-10, 08:28 PM
Gentlmen you no longer have to fill out anything if you use the VFW or American Legion
they will fill al paper work for you you just need to sign them it is all on computer for them to fill out takes about one hour and yes the old forms are a pain in the hindparts but when I found out that these guys will do it all for you WOW nice to have someone on our side they will even help with appeals if needed.

egbutler1
06-13-10, 04:04 AM
Thank god, my short term is sh!t when i filled mine out i lost it like 3 times and had to have someone walk me threw it several times. I have been reduced to a child like state w/ my memory its about time.

jrod02
06-13-10, 08:38 AM
Great Great Great!!!

Ed Palmer
06-15-10, 05:27 AM
VA Copay Update 10: On 9 JUN, the VA announced that veterans who generally have higher income and no service-connected disabilities - referred to as Priority Groups 7 and 8 veterans - will now pay an additional $1 for each 30-day supply of outpatient medications. Taking effect on 1 JUL, the increase to $9 from $8 is the first change in VA medication copay since 1 JAN 06. Veterans in Priority groups 2-6 will have NO increase in their copay. When asked why this increase was necessary the VA replied that the CPI for medication was increasing at a higher rate than the rest of the economy and this increase was deemed necessary. The prices will hold steady for the next 18 months and will again be looked at in JAN 2012. [Source: NAUS Weekly Update 11 Jun 2010 ++]

Ed Palmer
06-15-10, 05:30 AM
Sleep Apnea Update 02: The number of veterans receiving disability benefits for a sleeping disorder has increased 61% in the past two years and now costs taxpayers more than $500 million per year, according to Veterans Affairs data. More than 63,000 veterans receive benefits for sleep apnea, a disorder that causes a sleeping person to gasp for breath and awaken frequently. It is linked to problems ranging from daytime drowsiness to heart disease. The top risk factor for contracting the disorder appears to be obesity, though a sleep expert at the VA and a veteran's advocacy organization cite troops' exposure to dust and smoke in places such as Afghanistan and Iraq as contributing factors. More claims are likely to be made in the future as Baby Boomers age and get heavier, says Max Hirshkowitz, director of the Sleep Disorder Center at the Houston Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Veterans are four times more likely than other Americans to suffer from sleep apnea and about 5% of Americans have the disorder, he said, compared with 20% of veterans. Veterans benefits for sleep apnea are more generous than those for workers in the private sector, records show. For example, Elaine Fischer, a spokeswoman for the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, which handles workers' compensation in that state, said the department is not aware of any occupational exposure that would cause sleep apnea. "We're unaware of it being directly caused by something work related," she said.

The Social Security Administration recognizes sleep apnea as a disability. It pays benefits to those who can't work because of a disability that is likely to last at least one year or will kill them. The VA says veterans, however, can receive benefits and hold jobs.In 2007, Congress asked the Department of Veterans Affairs to pay closer attention to sleep apnea among veterans. Greater awareness of the disorder has prompted more veterans to seek treatment, Hirshkowitz said. The result has been a sharp increase in claims and disability payments to veterans. According to data provided by Veterans Affairs:
The number of veterans claiming sleep apnea as a disability has jumped to 63,118 in 2010 from 39,145 in 2008, a 61% increase.
Payments to apnea patients with a disability rating of 50 — by far the largest group receiving benefits — rose to a minimum of $534 million in 2010 from $306 million in 2008. The minimum payment for a disability with a rating of 50 is $9,240 a year but increases if a veteran is married and has children.

Some veterans may be predisposed to sleep apnea, Hirshkowitz said, because many are built like football players. They're big men, and as they age, many "become sedentary" and gain "an enormous amount of weight," he said. "When you get to middle age or late middle age your level of exercise does not maintain particularly when you have knee problems and hip problems." Daniel Chapman, a psychiatric epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, agreed: "I really can't think of a reason other than what's happening in the general population, which is that we're growing increasingly obese." Chapman and Hirshkowitz said some sleep apnea cases may be caused by exposure to toxins from smoke or fires. Along with increased screening, the rise in sleep apnea cases may also be due to exposure to dust, sand and grit in Iraq and Afghanistan, said Thom Wilborn, a spokesman for the Disabled American Veterans organization. "Give a guy a rifle and put him in a desert, and he's going to suffer some respiratory issues," Wilborn said. According to Hirshkowitz losing weight can help some people with sleep apnea, though he notes that some thin men and some women also have the disorder. Veterans with a disability rating of 50% require breathing assistance with the airway pressure device, the VA said. The breathing machines work well and can prevent veterans from developing more serious heart and lung problems. [Source: USA Today Tom Vanden Brook article 6 Jun 2010 ++]

zara678
01-22-11, 12:27 AM
i agree egbutler1 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=50670) comments