PDA

View Full Version : Question for some Intel guys

usmcgunrock
06-09-10, 02:25 AM
I am a broke 0311 and needed to lat move this year. I was looking at the Intel field but did not know which MOS I would be best suited for. I was leaning towards the 0231 field but I know there are others that I don't really know what they do. I would like to still have the ability to get out and get dirty since that is how I was brought up in the Corps. What kind of intel guys do they have with MarSoc and how hard is it to get over there as an intel guy? Also 0211 is out.

WXSgt
06-09-10, 10:07 AM
Im a 6842 weatherman working in intel if that counts. when i came over there was a 61k reenlistment bonus for latmovers for fy09 though. current FY is closed but around 55k(CPL). interesting MOS you do the weather forecasts give it to infantry commanders and recon guys alot and tell them what they can and cant do "safely"

usmcgunrock
06-09-10, 10:14 AM
I am not a zone a, so if there is a bonus next year it will not be nearly as high as that, if any.

WXSgt
06-09-10, 10:26 AM
Zone B? ill look it up

WXSgt
06-09-10, 10:31 AM
Zone B is 15k and Zone C is not for latmovers. This is for FY10, but FY11's should be coming out this month if it follows last years suit.

usmcgunrock
06-09-10, 11:25 AM
I have been keeping an eye on the MarAdmins for the message. That bonus is for the weather thing right? Honestly I don't really care for the money but care for what I am doing.

WXSgt
06-09-10, 02:18 PM
yes thats for weather but we have 3 different fields we go to 1) Intel to do operational weather for commanders 2)MCAS H&HS doing forecasts for the station and flight plans for all planes on base and any other meteorological support they need. also this is non deploying 3) finally MWSS which does what the MCAS H&HS does but deployed. median income starting when you get out and do this is bout 55k+ a year

William Hardy
06-09-10, 02:33 PM
I was a senior intel analyist -
#1 - You have to have excellent GT/ASVAB scores. It is a very tough school and you will go to the Army for training. I am not sure what the Corps uses as a cut-off, but you do have to be very close to the top before you can attend training.
#2 - You have to check and see what the availability of the MOS is...People in intel tend to stick around, and are highly recruited at re-up time.
#3 - I hope you have computer skills. When I started, I did everything manually. Drawing map overlays, keeping paper files/records of enemy officers, etc. Now it is done on computer and you have to be good at quickly using the tools on hand to draw a computer picture of the battlefield. Get ready for lower backpain from using the computer for long stretches.
#4 - If you make it, you will love the work. I had many different jobs, but being in intel was by far the best job I ever had...you were always in the know. I use to think working in the comm center kept me up to date...intel gets it first.

rheinmark187
06-09-10, 04:42 PM
I am a broke 0311 and needed to lat move this year. I was looking at the Intel field but did not know which MOS I would be best suited for. I was leaning towards the 0231 field but I know there are others that I don't really know what they do. I would like to still have the ability to get out and get dirty since that is how I was brought up in the Corps. What kind of intel guys do they have with MarSoc and how hard is it to get over there as an intel guy? Also 0211 is out.

Why is 0211 out?

usmcgunrock
06-12-10, 03:11 AM
I was a senior intel analyist -
#1 - You have to have excellent GT/ASVAB scores. It is a very tough school and you will go to the Army for training. I am not sure what the Corps uses as a cut-off, but you do have to be very close to the top before you can attend training.
#2 - You have to check and see what the availability of the MOS is...People in intel tend to stick around, and are highly recruited at re-up time.
#3 - I hope you have computer skills. When I started, I did everything manually. Drawing map overlays, keeping paper files/records of enemy officers, etc. Now it is done on computer and you have to be good at quickly using the tools on hand to draw a computer picture of the battlefield. Get ready for lower backpain from using the computer for long stretches.
#4 - If you make it, you will love the work. I had many different jobs, but being in intel was by far the best job I ever had...you were always in the know. I use to think working in the comm center kept me up to date...intel gets it first.

My ASVAB scores are high enough I can do any job I want. I am in zone this year to get promoted and I just wanted to know how that would effect me coming into the field as a SSgt. You should see the Marine Corps now when it comes to computers. As an infantry squad leader or platoon sgt I spend a lot of time on my personal computer because an infantry company only has 4 government computers. Everything is done on computers now-a-days. From what I am hearing it is something that I will like. I can end up anywhere and be doing a lot of different stuff. I can also bring my tactical experience from being on the ground executing missions to the job.

William Hardy
06-12-10, 08:39 AM
Outstanding Marine...now go for it.
Semper Fi

usmcgunrock
06-12-10, 09:54 PM
I know exactly what 0211 do because my dad did it and I have worked with them. But due to some issues I need to work on I may never be able to do it. Has to do with some problems with speech and memory from overpressure of explosions.

rsox353
06-13-10, 04:49 AM
Do as much research on 0261 Geospatial Intel as you can. We have a lot of grunt LAT movers per capita. We to so much that this little text box wouldn't fit all of it. But we do get to go out and do physical Geodetic surveys (tripod, GPS, and such). I love my job and it offers an amazing amount of options after EAS or Retirement.

devilbones
06-14-10, 05:25 PM
Rsox353 I am a former 0261 living in MA. I used to be stationed in Oki too. Small world.

Jeramy

hussaf
06-14-10, 07:25 PM
Be advised bro, if you go the route of analyst you may be called upon to give briefs....many briefs. I know you mentioned you might have some speech problems...might be a hinderance, not sure, but just something I thought you might want to know.

rheinmark187
06-15-10, 09:42 PM
Do as much research on 0261 Geospatial Intel as you can. We have a lot of grunt LAT movers per capita. We to so much that this little text box wouldn't fit all of it. But we do get to go out and do physical Geodetic surveys (tripod, GPS, and such). I love my job and it offers an amazing amount of options after EAS or Retirement.

This is also a great business to get into when leaving the military. The Geospatial Intelligence Agency is expanding and Geographic Informations Systems as a college major is a nice combination with military experience. It has applications in the intelligence community and business.

hussaf
06-15-10, 10:59 PM
Oh yeah, if you really do have serious money issues you might not get a clearance.

usmcgunrock
06-15-10, 11:08 PM
Oh yeah, if you really do have serious money issues you might not get a clearance.

I already have a secret and have no money issues at all.

hussaf
06-15-10, 11:17 PM
Cool, no worries then.

Recommendation: Google search the different intel fields with job offerings and ping them off what the Marine Corps offers. As other have alluded to, there are more job opportunities for some MOS-related fields in the 02xx MOS than others. Just google intelligence or clearance jobs and you should find some decent search engines for intel jobs.

ssctkgw
06-24-10, 11:19 PM
I am a 2651 Signals Intelligence Administrator/Communicator

I'd suggest 0241 - Imagery Analyst

Unfortunately you can't go the route of 0211 from the sound of things. That is the mos I will most likely try and lat move into a few years from now.

hussaf
06-24-10, 11:45 PM
I am a 2651 Signals Intelligence Administrator/Communicator

I'd suggest 0241 - Imagery Analyst

Unfortunately you can't go the route of 0211 from the sound of things. That is the mos I will most likely try and lat move into a few years from now.

Why would you want that MOS, and why can't you lat-move into it? Just curious.

supermanlives22
06-25-10, 12:12 AM
ok currently im an 0231 im in afghanistan right now and im reenlisting. i love my job and i love what i do the school was hard for me because im hands on with things and not good at memorizing vebatum things. but if your as good as you say you are you will do fine i also have orders to MARSOC over in pendelton as a duty station choice. what i do currently is i make briefs and give an opinion on whats going on. so far i have impacted many missions that our helos go on because of reporting the info that i find of the area and things like that. as for the marsoc choice my understanding when i got the orders is they need intel guys that was two months ago when i exepted them. also its another 5 year enlistment for me so be ready for that talk to the monitor and get screened by you s2 they can help you out. if you got any questions just ask. and by the way to me this was the best move in my life and right now they are exepting lm in the mos.:flag:

hussaf
06-25-10, 12:18 AM
Superman, I am very happy that you like your MOS, too many Marines are unhappy in their job. In the future, please take time to type proper grammar and punctuation. Your post was rather laborious to make sense of. Thanks, and come home safe.

usmcgunrock
06-25-10, 01:17 AM
ok currently im an 0231 im in afghanistan right now and im reenlisting. i love my job and i love what i do the school was hard for me because im hands on with things and not good at memorizing vebatum things. but if your as good as you say you are you will do fine i also have orders to MARSOC over in pendelton as a duty station choice. what i do currently is i make briefs and give an opinion on whats going on. so far i have impacted many missions that our helos go on because of reporting the info that i find of the area and things like that. as for the marsoc choice my understanding when i got the orders is they need intel guys that was two months ago when i exepted them. also its another 5 year enlistment for me so be ready for that talk to the monitor and get screened by you s2 they can help you out. if you got any questions just ask. and by the way to me this was the best move in my life and right now they are exepting lm in the mos.:flag:

I am headed home from Afghan right now and plan on starting the paper work when I get back. New message came out and I am not going to get any money but I have never gotten a bonus so oh well I guess. Have a good chance at getting promoted this year though. It would work out great if it would work out that I lat move, get promoted, and get orders to MarSoc in Pendleton. But I don't know if they would want to take someone in MarSoc that is new to his MOS field.

rheinmark187
08-31-10, 06:39 PM
I already have a secret and have no money issues at all.

Secret alone isn't terribly marketable when you get out. It's not WORTHLESS, but many of the better paying jobs are asking for TS at the least.

There are a lot of job fairs aimed specifically at people with active or recently active security clearances.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-01-10, 12:13 AM
Agree. I'm an 'old tyme' Intel guy but I lat moved also. Loved the job. It's also very 'get in front of people and talk' intensive, it was for me and I see that hasn't changed.