PDA

View Full Version : Korean War Marines

USNAviator
06-07-10, 09:41 PM
Marines

Just wanted to post and say to all Korean War Marines who are still around, thank you for going in harms way. The Korean War started 60 years ago this month ( 6/25/50)

All of you grew up during WW2, perhaps you had older brothers who served while you were collecting scrap drives and purchasing War Bonds and Stamps

When it came to serve you were more than eager but time has faded your existence. Korea has been forgotten by most today. It's sad, you went and served, you fought and died and now except for a few memorials, no one remembers nor cares

Most of you are now in your late 70's or early 80's. Just wanted to let you know that you are not forgotten and to say, God bless and keep you and thank you for your service.

Dan

kenrobg30
06-08-10, 01:58 PM
Marines

Just wanted to post and say to all Korean War Marines who are still around, thank you for going in harms way. The Korean War started 60 years ago this month ( 6/25/50)

All of you grew up during WW2, perhaps you had older brothers who served while you were collecting scrap drives and purchasing War Bonds and Stamps

When it came to serve you were more than eager but time has faded your existence. Korea has been forgotten by most today. It's sad, you went and served, you fought and died and now except for a few memorials, no one remembers nor cares

Most of you are now in your late 70's or early 80's. Just wanted to let you know that you are not forgotten and to say, God bless and keep you and thank you for your service.

Dan

Thank you Dan. I'll speak for my generation. We just did what we got paid to do, Like every Marine, before or since. Feels good !!:marine: S/F!!! Ken

Danny C Smith
06-08-10, 03:51 PM
My GrandFather was a SGT in Korea.
I will never forget:evilgrin:
Thanks for posting this Sir.

kenrobg30
06-08-10, 04:18 PM
My GrandFather was a SGT in Korea.
I will never forget:evilgrin:
Thanks for posting this Sir.
What year Danny, and what unit. I'm really interested. :) S/F!!! Ken

Danny C Smith
06-08-10, 05:36 PM
What year Danny, and what unit. I'm really interested. :) S/F!!! Ken

I have to apologise for not knowing.
He was Army and is deceased as of 93.
His name was Sgt. Gerald Truman Burgett.
All I know is that he was artillary and they
were always cold.
He did tell me Marines are crazy.
Right after I signed the dotted line.
I do know that he was in the 1st Division in Germany.
Just for the hell of it I dug out a couple of very old black and white
photos. The first one is in 1942 when he was 19.
looks like a Native American Tom Kruse(sp) Damn, no wonder
Grand Mom hooked up with him.
The second is in Putlose (sp)Germany in 1949.
His writing on the back of the photo says,
"My mind in Oklahoma, my ass in Germany"
My Mother has tons of other old photos. Boxes of them.
Reckon I need to sift through that old stuff again.
I do know that he retired in 1962 as a Sgt. 1st class.
Got busted from Sgt. down to pvt. for fighting with an Officer
at one point, date unknown but it was at a Christmas party.
Grand Mom told me about that so I know it's true. Interesting
story there too! She was there.The Lt. sustained a broken jaw.
I'm supprised that at that time they didn't shoot him for it.
There is a box in my closet with a bunch of his old Army things.
I have another smaller box with some of his ribbons and medals.
Including a Bronze Star and A Purple Heart/w 2nd.
That is about all I have for now, but I'll dig somemore.

kenrobg30
06-08-10, 05:49 PM
Look carefully Smitty. I have no doubt that you will find things, that you'll want to save for your children. Those things are usually kept, as family heirlooms. Proud memories. :usmc: S/F!!! Ken

USNAviator
06-08-10, 05:57 PM
Smitty

My Dad was in the Big Red One as well '42-'45. As Ken said, keep everything you can. Dads' records were destroyed in the St Louis fire in '72. I have nothing but his CIB with two stars.Must have seen some action

Danny C Smith
06-08-10, 07:19 PM
This has got me going now.
I will get all of those things out and
go through them.
I'll lay it all out and take pics and get
My Wife to post them as I am computer-tarted.
Even the old photos of Sgt.1st class Burgett.:thumbup:

USNAviator
06-08-10, 07:32 PM
go through them.

Great looking forward to them!!

kenrobg30
06-09-10, 07:29 AM
go through them.
Way to go Danny, You'll never be sorry. My wife has her dads Medals and ribbons from WWI, and one of her brothers , from WWII, plus a few pictures. She treasures them.:thumbup: S/F!!! Ken

Danny C Smith
06-09-10, 08:17 AM
Way to go Danny, You'll never be sorry. My wife has her dads Medals and ribbons from WWI, and one of her brothers , from WWII, plus a few pictures. She treasures them.:thumbup: S/F!!! Ken
That is outstanding.
I have decided to make a wooden display case for
Grand Pop's things.
Just to get them out of the box and in the open.
None of my children have ever seen thses things.
I guess it's time.

kenrobg30
06-09-10, 08:47 AM
That is outstanding.
Grand Pop's things.
I guess it's time.

:thumbup::) S/F!!! Ken

IDontWheeze
06-09-10, 12:48 PM
My grandafther was a Korean War Marine. Its funny I read this thread because I was just reading the letter his best friend (served with him in his unit) gave me when he passed away in 2006. I found it in my desk this morning, and then I saw this thread here. He carried the BAR, had a purple heart and a puc. According to his records, if I am reading them correctly, he was at Chosin Resevoir. He was the best man I've ever met. He helped raise me, and not a day goes by that I do not think about, or miss him.

06-09-10, 01:41 PM
My father (also my favorite Marine) was a truck driver with 1st Motor T Bn. in Korea 4/51-4/52. I think he's the CO's driver in Heaven now. I sometimes talk with his best bud in Korea, Doc Giff. He lives in Lakeland, Fla. Here's a site you Korea vets (& family) might want to look at.....

http://www.koreanwar.org/html/lookusmc.htm

:flag:

Juicemang
06-09-10, 01:48 PM
That is outstanding.
Grand Pop's things.
I guess it's time.

Semper Fi brother!

kenrobg30
06-10-10, 09:42 AM
My grandafther was a Korean War Marine. Its funny I read this thread because I was just reading the letter his best friend (served with him in his unit) gave me when he passed away in 2006. I found it in my desk this morning, and then I saw this thread here. He carried the BAR, had a purple heart and a puc. According to his records, if I am reading them correctly, he was at Chosin Resevoir. He was the best man I've ever met. He helped raise me, and not a day goes by that I do not think about, or miss him.

If your granddad was there at the Res. in 50, he deserves all the respect any of us can give him IDW. I was there in 51, so he was ahead of me. I would have loved to swap stories with him. Semore Fidelis.:usmc: Ken

kenrobg30
06-10-10, 10:14 AM
Smitty

My Dad was in the Big Red One as well '42-'45. As Ken said, keep everything you can. Dads' records were destroyed in the St Louis fire in '72. I have nothing but his CIB with two stars.Must have seen some action
that CIB proves, he was no 'FEATHER MERCHANT' DAn !! That one doesn't come in a box of cracker jacks. You should frame it. :thumbup: S/F!! Ken

kenrobg30
06-10-10, 10:28 AM
My father (also my favorite Marine) was a truck driver with 1st Motor T Bn. in Korea 4/51-4/52. I think he's the CO's driver in Heaven now. I sometimes talk with his best bud in Korea, Doc Giff. He lives in Lakeland, Fla. Here's a site you Korea vets (& family) might want to look at.....

http://www.koreanwar.org/html/lookusmc.htm

:flag: I wrote that site info down. I'm going to cruise through it a little later. Right now I gotta go lay down. Catch you later. Thank you.
:thumbup: S/F!!! Ken

IDontWheeze
06-10-10, 10:59 AM
Thank you for the kind words, Corporal, and thank you for your service too! My family sleeps safe at night because of men like you. He never talked about Chosin Resevoir, and I am basing his being there of of the PUC citiation in his records. When I looked it up on line it says the award he was given was given to the units at Chosin Resevoir - it could be wrong. He enlisted at 17 in 1948 and was in Korea from 1950 - 1951. My Papa would have loved to swap stories with you or any Marine - and he often did. Even when my Marine friends would ship to Iraq - he would be there to send them off.

He never talked of experiances in Korea until a few weeks before he passed - he only talked of being a Marine. After hearing his stories of the hell filled hills of Korea, I totally understand why veterans don't talk about their experiances with us civillians. It's not something one can try to comprehend unless they have been there.

He had an outlook on life and freedom that only you Servicemebers who have defended it can have. His friends say he was a Marine's Marine. His name was Corporal Martin Barnes, and he was from Michigan. He was stationed at the old South Weymouth Naval Station here in MA, and he met my Nana out here before he went overseas. She waited for him to come back, and the rest is history.

I know I don't rate it, but Semper Fi from my Papa who's gaurding the pearly gates!

USNAviator
06-10-10, 01:29 PM
that CIB proves, he was no 'FEATHER MERCHANT' DAn !! That one doesn't come in a box of cracker jacks. You should frame it. :thumbup: S/F!! Ken

Thanks Ken, that's what I figured. Never talked about till near the end. None of them ever did. He was in from 3/42 till the end. BAR man so he packed some fire power.

Dan

kenrobg30
06-10-10, 05:43 PM
Thank you for the kind words, Corporal, and thank you for your service too! My family sleeps safe at night because of men like you. He never talked about Chosin Resevoir, and I am basing his being there of of the PUC citiation in his records. When I looked it up on line it says the award he was given was given to the units at Chosin Resevoir - it could be wrong. He enlisted at 17 in 1948 and was in Korea from 1950 - 1951. My Papa would have loved to swap stories with you or any Marine - and he often did. Even when my Marine friends would ship to Iraq - he would be there to send them off.

He never talked of experiances in Korea until a few weeks before he passed - he only talked of being a Marine. After hearing his stories of the hell filled hills of Korea, I totally understand why veterans don't talk about their experiances with us civillians. It's not something one can try to comprehend unless they have been there.

He had an outlook on life and freedom that only you Servicemebers who have defended it can have. His friends say he was a Marine's Marine. His name was Corporal Martin Barnes, and he was from Michigan. He was stationed at the old South Weymouth Naval Station here in MA, and he met my Nana out here before he went overseas. She waited for him to come back, and the rest is history.

I know I don't rate it, but Semper Fi from my Papa who's gaurding the pearly gates!

I think you rate it IDW, and I'll offer it to you anytime. SEMPRE FIDELIS, to you and your Family, from me and Mine. :marine: Ken

SgtHMH
06-10-10, 10:27 PM
My dad was in Korea 1950-1952, he cashed and put some of you in the Brig and also took North Korean POWs from the lines south. He was a CID and wore no rank had a 45 and carbine, in a jeep with a Sgt MP. Has his Medals on the wall of my parents house. My family members have been in every War since the American Revolution. Related to Brig General John Sevier in the Revolution and first Governor of Tennessee. Also one of the first Marines from Tun Tavern a Cpl. The Marines in Korea as in all conflicts we been in kicked arse and did their duty with honor and pride.

Semper Fi

USNAviator
06-10-10, 10:52 PM
Ken

Glad I started this thread. It was to pay homage to a forgotten war, to forgotten Vets. I'm glad all these Marines and family members are sharing their memories with you. To be honest, I thought it would sink right to the bottom. Carry on smartly Marine and Ken, thank you for your service Sir!!!!

Dan

kenrobg30
06-11-10, 10:51 AM
Ken

Glad I started this thread. It was to pay homage to a forgotten war, to forgotten Vets. I'm glad all these Marines and family members are sharing their memories with you. To be honest, I thought it would sink right to the bottom. Carry on smartly Marine and Ken, thank you for your service Sir!!!!

Dan

I told you Dan. You don't have to 'Sir' me, I'm only a Corporal.:D S/F!!! Ken

kenrobg30
06-11-10, 11:00 AM
Thanks Ken, that's what I figured. Never talked about till near the end. None of them ever did. He was in from 3/42 till the end. BAR man so he packed some fire power.

Dan
Did I mention, that i was a BARman, for a short while, when I first got to Korea? Assistant BARman fist, then the BARman made a mistake. He shot a little notch out of the edge of the sole, of his boot. The Company CO, decided, that I should take it for a while. Uncomfortable moment. :marine: S/F!! Ken