PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going back in.

eazyrider
06-07-10, 02:51 AM
Basically to keep this short I don't feel very good about my service. I wish more than anything that I could do it all again and pick Infantry instead of the Air Wing. I listened to the wrong people instead of myself when I was 17. I have been out for 4 years and finally picked up the phone and called the recruiter. He says he can get me back in and put me in the Infantry. I am 26 now and I want to fight. Not for glory but to feel good about myself. I was there in 2003 and I watched the grunts go forward with a damn wrench in my hand. That feeling has never left me. I never got to taste combat and I feel that I wasn't a real Marine. That is not a slight to anyone who wasn't a grunt, it is how I feel and it is MY opinion alone. Problem is that I don't know any grunts and I was never really around them. So my question to those of you who are grunts or worked around them is this. Do you feel that your service was worthwhile, that you made a difference? Do you feel that you did something that very few people could have done? Do you feel proud of your service? Do the grunts live up to the history and hype of the Marines? Basically do most grunts fell proud to be a Marine or are most just regretting joining and killing time until the EAS?

gwamo1
06-07-10, 08:17 AM
I was not aware they are accepting prior service people. It's called a PSEP package, Prior Service..... something something. I could be wrong though. Good luck though.

Vandrel
06-07-10, 10:52 AM
I don't know when the last time you deployed when you were in but these days it doesn't freakin matter what your MOS is, as long as it's deployable there's a good chance you could end up in a provisional rifle platoon.

I did 9 years with AAV's, while I wasn't a grunt I carried grunts around my entire career. We did everything with grunts, humps, ops, sleep, eat, hate life, bake in the 100+ degree heat, etc. I don't call myself a grunt but I don't call myself a poge either because I was in the **** more then once and didn't spend my time behind a desk or in a COC.

You don't have to go back in as a grunt, pick something related or in support. There's nothing wrong with the infantry but if you are just looking to get some trigger time in country all you have to do is hop on a PTT or MTT team or a PRP rotation which are comprised of all kinds of MOS's, air wingers, mechanics, comm, AAV's, LAR, Tankers, Motor-T, Combat Eng, etc. I can understand your issues with your service, I knew a lot of guys that were ****ed they didn't get any trigger time but **** happens and things work out for a reason. There's no need for you to regret your service, be proud of it and if you REALLY want just go back in as combat support or infantry and gear up for a deployment.

There's also private security and contracting positions over there that get plenty of trigger time with bigger pay checks as well.

eazyrider
06-07-10, 06:27 PM
I appreciate the advice Marines. I am pretty sold on the Infantry. I have no idea what your talking about gwamo, the recruiter seemed like it was no big deal.

usmc3521
06-07-10, 07:52 PM
If you can get back Active I would be very surprised. The USMC is overfull and as I have been told by every recruiter they are not accepting any new psep packages at all. Your only chance will be reserve. If somehow your recruiter can work some magic awesome, if not go reserve and kick ass, then go active down the road.

As far a being a POG who th F*uck cares. I started as a POG 3521 then went 0331(now going back in as a 3531). Ive met nasty turds on both sides. In my book Marines are Marines period. We all went through the same bootcamp and earned the same title. A Marine is not defined by his MOS, he is defined by his honor, integrity and service.

rheinmark187
06-07-10, 10:36 PM
I appreciate the advice Marines. I am pretty sold on the Infantry. I have no idea what your talking about gwamo, the recruiter seemed like it was no big deal.

Good luck, start on it all today because you aren't getting any younger. If you want to be a grunt, go be a grunt. If you get screwed, you could always try to get into Recon.

eazyrider
06-08-10, 07:52 PM
If you can get back Active I would be very surprised. The USMC is overfull and as I have been told by every recruiter they are not accepting any new psep packages at all. Your only chance will be reserve. If somehow your recruiter can work some magic awesome, if not go reserve and kick ass, then go active down the road.

As far a being a POG who th F*uck cares. I started as a POG 3521 then went 0331(now going back in as a 3531). Ive met nasty turds on both sides. In my book Marines are Marines period. We all went through the same bootcamp and earned the same title. A Marine is not defined by his MOS, he is defined by his honor, integrity and service.
It isn't about titles or anything like that it's just me, the way I feel. I am not doing this for any other reason than peace of mind. I just want to make sure it's not the same attitude that I experienced in the Wing. I am too old to get caught up with titles. I am going reserve and talked to the recruiter again today and he said that the unit I will be assigned to is pulling out in October and that I will miss that pump. But he said that I can transfer to another unit that will deploy later. I need to verify this of course. I think he called it Every Marine in the Fight. Is this true? Is it as easy as he makes it sound?

usmc3521
06-08-10, 08:21 PM
you can request a unit transfer or volunteer for a deployment if available. I was stationed with an air wing unit and all i can say from first hand experience is that the level of overall discipline of the USMC has gone way down hill. Doesnt matter if its a grunt unit or not.

Its not the same brotherhood that us older Marines are used to, but what can you do? Im going to go in, kick some ass and hopefully add some moral and leadership to the Marines I serve with by example.

1/24 is scheduled to be shipped to afghan in 2011 and Ill end up be a driver so Im gonna be rocking a convoy and hopefully get to send some nasty Haji's to Allah before I get blown up by an IED. S/F

eazyrider
06-08-10, 09:11 PM
you can request a unit transfer or volunteer for a deployment if available. I was stationed with an air wing unit and all i can say from first hand experience is that the level of overall discipline of the USMC has gone way down hill. Doesnt matter if its a grunt unit or not.

Its not the same brotherhood that us older Marines are used to, but what can you do? Im going to go in, kick some ass and hopefully add some moral and leadership to the Marines I serve with by example.

1/24 is scheduled to be shipped to afghan in 2011 and Ill end up be a driver so Im gonna be rocking a convoy and hopefully get to send some nasty Haji's to Allah before I get blown up by an IED. S/F
That last sentence motivated me, let's go!!!

ritter
06-09-10, 10:41 AM
I came back in and lat moved from a pog MOS to an infantry MOS and it was the best thing I've done for myself in a long time. Go infantry, you won't regret it.

thewookie
06-09-10, 10:51 AM
I get blown up by an IED. S/F

Careful for what you wish for, be safe.

Supersquishy
06-09-10, 05:49 PM
All I got to say is Don't hold your breath.

ritter
06-10-10, 12:26 AM
Careful for what you wish for, be safe.
Agreed!