PDA

View Full Version : EAS,Driving home...What do I rate?

GoodTimeBadTime
06-03-10, 12:47 AM
I'm currently deployed and am trying to do my finances for my last few months in the Corps. I'm tring to figure out how much money one recieves for driving back home upon ones EAS. I know it has somthing to do with the milage/weight of your vehicle. I can't find any kind of rates on the internet and my S-1 keeps saying they'll find out and let me know...but they never do. I also realize that this is probably covered in Seps/Taps but I won't be able to take those classes until I get back and I want to plan now while I have an abundance of free time.

Thanks in advance!

manilalaguna29
06-03-10, 02:09 AM
Hopefully this link will help you.

http://www.usmc.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%20P4650.37C%20W%20CH%201.pdf

manilalaguna29
06-03-10, 02:22 AM
Also get a hold of a pay clerk and ask what the current rate of per diem and mileage are.

BR34
06-03-10, 06:36 AM
I got a class on everything you rate when you EAS saved to my other computer. I'll look up the info and post it on here later.

I think it's .16 cent per mile for mileage. And something like 106 dollars a day per diem. Your spouse gets 75% per diem and each dependent under 12 gets 50%. You rate 400 miles the first day and 350 for additional days, so unless you're driving to Alaska the max you're probably going to rate is like 5 days.

That's just from memory though, I'll double check later.

BR34
06-03-10, 07:32 AM
Alright, as far as travel pay is concerned you're going to rate the following.

-.17 cent per mile on each POV.
-Per diem is 116 per day. Each dependent over 12 gets 75% of that rate (87.00 dollars). Dependents under 12 get 50% of the full rate (58.00). The amount of days you rate is determined by how far you're driving to your home of record from your duty location.
-You also rate to sell back any leave remaining, though I recommend taking terminal leave because then those days won't be taxed and you'll receive BAH during that leave.
-And of course you get your last pay check.

Vandrel
06-03-10, 08:04 AM
The amount of days you rate is determined by how far you're driving to your home of record from your duty location.

It's calculated by your destination as per what you have put on your papers at SEPS when you are finalizing your DD214. If your home of record is NY but you are moving to WA and have a valid postal address there then you can have that address put down and disbursing and TMO will go off of that.

As far as money goes, your disbursing money to cover your travel home won't come to you in advance, you get reimbursed after you made it there. When you check out of disbursing they will give you a travel claim sheet that you have up to 1 year from your departure date to fill out and send back to them. You must provide all receipts pertaining to costs and prove you arrived where you said you were supposed to and when. Once they get all of that in the mail then they kick you a reimbursment payment for what expenses you actually rate to be covered for.

When you go through SEPS and TAPS class they will specifically tell you do not try and fake the funk by putting Alaska or some far off state that you are not even going to just to try and get money for it, if you get caught it's a **** storm you don't want to deal with. As long as you have a valid address and you are infact going there and can provide proof of expenses during travel then you are good to go.

All the TMO info you'll get when you check out of TMO, they'll have you sit through a little class, give you the ins and outs and then set you up with whatever you are doing, ditty move, etc.

The most important thing you should worry about when you get back is getting over to the VA office on base and getting your claims in

gwamo1
06-03-10, 08:06 AM
Everyone thinks their always going to get money out of the government by doing the moves themself. Sometimes it works out, most time you break dead even.

Quinbo
06-03-10, 08:07 AM
Terminal Leave is taxed except for the days earned in combat. It is still the best way to go. Selling back leave you get your base pay after taxes and that is it. Terminal you get everything you were getting while in uniform.

Vandrel
06-03-10, 08:11 AM
Unless you have a spouse, multiple vehicles that get 30 mpg and you and your spouse leave on different days then you can make some money. If you have a child that's of the age to drive and also leaves on a seperate day then they rate their own expenses in terms of gas, etc. That's about the only way you'll make money off of it all. More so it'll be enough to break even as you mentioned.

I didn't leave the base when I got out so I just threw my travel claim paper in the trash. No need for me to try and scam $200-$300 when I still work on the same base as a civilian :D

Terminal Leave is taxed except for the days earned in combat. It is still the best way to go. Selling back leave you get your base pay after taxes and that is it. Terminal you get everything you were getting while in uniform.

Yup and best thing is if you have over 30 days, sell back the difference and take 30 days terminal, try to have a job lined up while you are on terminal so you can bank double paychecks plus the payment you get on your EAS date for your leave you sold back along with your final pay.

I made over $10,000 the last month I was on contract between final pay, leave sold back, terminal leave and my new job's pay.

gungygal48
06-03-10, 11:12 AM
let me clarify - if you are doing a normal EAS (not retiring) you only rate the mileage and per diem to your Home of Record (HOR). That is the place from which you enlisted and is listed on your official paperwork.

Example -

you enlisted in Raleigh NC where you were born and raised. Your last duty station was Camp Lejeune NC. You decide you want to EAS to Los Angeles CA.

The Government will pay you not to exceed what it would have cost for you to travel to Raleigh NC. Any excess cost will be your responsibility.

BR34
06-03-10, 11:20 AM
It's calculated by your destination as per what you have put on your papers at SEPS when you are finalizing your DD214. If your home of record is NY but you are moving to WA and have a valid postal address there then you can have that address put down and disbursing and TMO will go off of that.

Hmm...nah, I don't think so. If you spent 4 years paying (or not paying, depending on the state) state taxes for NY then suddenly tell them you're moving to WA you're still going to get paid based on what you would have rated had you gone back to NY. You can go wherever you want, but once you reach the mileage limit from your duty station to NY your travel entitlements will stop.

WXSgt
06-03-10, 11:23 AM
http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/faqpovpast.html

this website will have everything you need treat your move as a regular PCS move.

Vandrel
06-03-10, 12:18 PM
Just posting what I went through when I got out and what I was told, I heard both sides and actually sat down to do the paperwork to find out it was option B not A. Handful of buddies that got out when I did were paid for where they went, not HOR.

BR34
06-03-10, 12:59 PM
Just posting what I went through when I got out and what I was told, I heard both sides and actually sat down to do the paperwork to find out it was option B not A. Handful of buddies that got out when I did were paid for where they went, not HOR.

They probably went somewhere cheaper than their HOR would have been.

GoodTimeBadTime
06-03-10, 01:15 PM
Thank you all for the information! The links/info you posted should keep me bust tonight.

gungygal48
06-03-10, 06:31 PM
Hmm...nah, I don't think so. If you spent 4 years paying (or not paying, depending on the state) state taxes for NY then suddenly tell them you're moving to WA you're still going to get paid based on what you would have rated had you gone back to NY. You can go wherever you want, but once you reach the mileage limit from your duty station to NY your travel entitlements will stop.

I believe we just said the EXACT same thing. One gets paid to HOR or to anyplace they want NTE HOR. Work with me here...

edit*** my bad I thought you were talking about my post. We are tracking.

GoodTimeBadTime
06-03-10, 06:45 PM
Everyone thinks their always going to get money out of the government by doing the moves themself. Sometimes it works out, most time you break dead even.

I'm not trying to cheat the government out of money...I can fit all the stuff I own in 29 in my tiny mustang.

I am,however, using the opportunity to take a breather and see parts of the US that I've always wanted to see on my way home. I figure the money I get from the MC will help with gas. After 5 years and 2 year long deployments I think I rate that much.

BR34
06-04-10, 07:49 AM
I'm not trying to cheat the government out of money...I can fit all the stuff I own in 29 in my tiny mustang.

I am,however, using the opportunity to take a breather and see parts of the US that I've always wanted to see on my way home. I figure the money I get from the MC will help with gas. After 5 years and 2 year long deployments I think I rate that much.

How many miles will your drive be to where you call home?

gwamo1
06-04-10, 08:00 AM
I think I rate that much.

Exactly. The mindset of EVERYONE. Always thinking you rate something because of some **** you had to do.

GoodTimeBadTime
06-04-10, 12:14 PM
How many miles will your drive be to where you call home?

According to google maps it's about 2300 miles...29 to WV. Should be a pretty interesting drive.

And to the the guy who is trying to start s*** with me, let me ask you this...

I don't rate a couple bucks to get home after the Marine Corps flew me out to California?
I don't rate somthing that is written in the law books?
I don't rate time off after I get out?

You're an idiot. Think before you type next time.

BR34
06-04-10, 12:19 PM
According to google maps it's about 2300 miles...29 to WV. Should be a pretty interesting drive.

Welp you've got yourself 7 days travel coming to ya. Enjoy seeing the country.

WXSgt
06-05-10, 02:36 PM
when i was moving from Keesler AFB in MS to Camp Pendleton instead of going I-10 an almost straight shot i went north and took rt 66 stayed in nice hotels and went to sedona did some 4 wheeling and went to las vegas and stayed at the bellagio for like 4 days and still made it to pendleton with money to spare. its always nice to be able to see the country when you get the time.

gwamo1
06-07-10, 08:32 AM
And to the the guy who is trying to start s*** with me, let me ask you this...

I'm not trying to start **** with you. I'm just saying that's the attitude of everyone i deal with. Please understand this. :)