PDA

View Full Version : Looking for WWII Marine Records

MarineBound
06-02-10, 09:21 AM
Good Morning to you all.
I come from a very strong military family, and I have currently decided to try and find old records and such from the veterans in my family. I am focusing on my great grandfather who served in World War 2. Before he passed away, he used to tell his stories about when he was running up Mt. Suribachi, and stories that are very motivating and inspiring. But I was about 4 years old at the time. So I didn't really understand them at the time, but my grandma still tells me them today. I have googled his name, and I have come up with nothing. It is also a problem because when he enlisted, he had to use a fake name. His real name was CA Tolliver. He had no middle name, and so when he enlisted, he enlisted with the name of Matthew James Tolliver. My grandmother (His daughter) was unsure of his rank, but she knows that it was either Cpl. or Sgt. He enlisted in 1940 and when he returned home from Iwo Jima, he got out of the Marines which that was in 1944. My grandma said that he spent time in California, which I figured he was at Twenty-Nine Palms, not sure if I am correct or not. I know that he attend Bootcamp at Parris Island because he was from Kentucky, east of the Mississippi. I also believe that he was infantry? Not too sure, but from the description my grandma gave me it sounded like infantry. I have his EGA, as well as his lapel ribbons, and I would love to get my hands on his records to have them as well. At least to know his platoon number, and regiment number as well. So if any of you know any websites that offer records from World War 2, please let me know. (I have already tried ancestry.com, and nothing came up.) Once again I am looking for:

James Matthew Tolliver
CPL/SGT
Served 1940-1944
Fought in Iwo Jima
Died in 1997

So thank you for your time and help.

Have a great day.
-Ciara Wood

yanacek
06-02-10, 10:48 AM
Ciara: You can request a copy of his military records by following the instructions provided at the link: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/get-service-records.html

I'm sure once you get the records, you'll find them interesting. I doubt that your grandfather was at Twentynine Palms during WW-II. During that era, it was an Army base at first, and was then turned over to the Navy. I don't think it became a Marine base until sometime during the Korean thing.

USNAviator
06-02-10, 01:29 PM
James Matthew Tolliver
CPL/SGT
Served 1940-1944
Fought in Iwo Jima
Died in 1997

Are you sure about those service dates? The only reason I'm asking is because the Battle of Iwo Jima was fought between mid February till near the end of March in 1945

You'll also need his Social Security number or Enlisted Serial Number in order to access his records through the Archives

Good luck to you

yanacek
06-02-10, 01:36 PM
Good catch on that date--I did not notice that. Very unlikely he was discharged in 44 anyway since all enlistments were extended through the duration of the war.

awbrown1462
06-02-10, 01:43 PM
you will also need to check the dates of his service that battle The Battle of Iwo Jima (February 19 – March 26, 1945),

DanM
06-02-10, 02:54 PM
There were many who were discharged before the end of the war for a variety of reasons.

yanacek
06-02-10, 03:20 PM
Really DanM? I did not know that. I suppose if you were unfit for duty due to injuries or some other reason. What other reasons are you aware of?

DanM
06-02-10, 04:38 PM
From my grandfather's Honorable Discharge paper "reason of being past 38 years of age under provisions of Section 2,Circular #39,W.D./43 ,to accept employment in an essential war industry." 27...

USNAviator
06-02-10, 04:47 PM
No problem on the dates, had to think about it myself. Yes I believe you are correct, for the duration plus six months were the terms. Was I correct re. the SSN or the Serial Number? I don't believe...

bucksgted
06-02-10, 04:57 PM
No problem on the dates, had to think about it myself. Yes I believe you are correct, for the duration plus six months were the terms. Was I correct re. the SSN or the Serial Number? I don't believe SSN's were used at least until the 60's or perhaps the 50's

Clara;

If you're reading this take heart. You'll find the info you'll want but it may awhile.

Trucks and rifles have serial numbers - - we had service numbers. LMAO Service numbers where still in use when I left active duty on 19 FEB 60.

USNAviator
06-02-10, 05:00 PM
Good point DanM! May I ask, were you able to access your grand-fathers DD-214? And if so, did you use his SSN?

USNAviator
06-02-10, 05:07 PM
Trucks and rifles have serial numbers - - we had service numbers. LMAO Service numbers where still in use when I left active duty on 19 FEB 60.

Thanks Ed

Sitting red faced here. Must have been thinking of those old WW2 movies "only give them your name,rank and serial number" ;)

Did find this

Service Number (SN) and Social Security Number (SSN)

Service numbers and social security numbers are used at NPRC (MPR) as part of the identifiers used to store and locate records.
Social Security Number (SSN). Always include the veteran's social security number on a request.
Service Number (SN). Also include the veteran's service number on a request if service was during the period when service numbers were assigned as personal identifiers. The military services discontinued using the service number as an identifier and began using the social security number on the following dates:
<table> <tbody><tr><th scope="col">Branch of Service</th><th scope="col">Date of Changeover</th></tr> <tr><td>Army and Air Force</td><td>July 1, 1969</td></tr> <tr><td>Navy and Marine Corps</td><td>January 1, 1972</td></tr> <tr><td>Coast Guard</td><td>October 1, 1974</td></tr> </tbody></table> "NARA ensures, for the Citizen and the Public Servant, for the President and the Congress and the Courts, ready access to essential evidence."

bucksgted
06-02-10, 05:15 PM
Thanks Ed

Sitting red faced here. Must have been thinking of those old WW2 movies "only give them your name,rank and serial number" ;)

Did find this

Service Number (SN) and Social Security Number (SSN)

Service numbers and social security numbers are used at NPRC (MPR) as part of the identifiers used to store and locate records.
Social Security Number (SSN). Always include the veteran's social security number on a request.
Service Number (SN). Also include the veteran's service number on a request if service was during the period when service numbers were assigned as personal identifiers. The military services discontinued using the service number as an identifier and began using the social security number on the following dates:
<table> <tbody><tr><th scope="col">Branch of Service</th><th scope="col">Date of Changeover</th></tr> <tr><td>Army and Air Force</td><td>July 1, 1969</td></tr> <tr><td>Navy and Marine Corps</td><td>January 1, 1972</td></tr> <tr><td>Coast Guard</td><td>October 1, 1974</td></tr> </tbody></table> "NARA ensures, for the Citizen and the Public Servant, for the President and the Congress and the Courts, ready access to essential evidence."

Dan, twas just pulling your chain. :D Didn't mean to cause any "red faces".

USNAviator
06-02-10, 05:18 PM
Dan, twas just pulling your chain. :D Didn't mean to cause any "red faces".

Understood Ed, was cursing myself for being such a dumb$ss some times. It's this whole getting older thing :)

Have a great one :thumbup:

DanM
06-02-10, 05:18 PM
I have a copy of his Discharge paper, not a DD-214.It is a W.D.,A.G.O.Form No. 55,April 30,1941 <br />
<br />
I believe what is needed is on the archives.gov site.The Army started using SSN as serial numbers...

Zulu 36
06-02-10, 05:21 PM
Yep, and I'm proud to be one of those who had a service number. Makes me feel "Old Corps." :D

USNAviator
06-02-10, 05:22 PM
Thanks Dan, after I asked you I figured I'd motivate myself and did find the info I was looking for. It's a few post above

USNAviator
06-02-10, 05:28 PM
Clara, I think you've been given enough info to do your own search. You'll just need his SSN and go on the Archives site. They'll ask you a few questions, pretty basic stuff

Good luck and I'm happy to see you are interested in serving our country and being a Marine :thumbup:

Dan

Zulu 36
06-02-10, 05:52 PM
I might note that you will probably need a copy of your grandfather's death certificate too.