PDA

View Full Version : Debit Card

Urbina
05-31-10, 01:09 PM
Hey Everyone, and happy Memorial Day.

I would post this in the Poolee section, but I'm unable to post there. - I leave to bootcamp in 6 days and been stressing out about what to bring. I already know the basics: Stamps, Addresses, SSC, etc. But I was wondering if I should bring a Debit card?

At a Marine Parent day my RS had, they talked about how I should get Navy Federal for my banking and what not, so I did (They had NF representatives there) and got a NF Debit card. Should I bring it with me? I would ask my recruiter but today is a holiday and there's no rush in asking him since I have tomorrow aswell. I see I should bring one and I also see I shouldn't.

Again, this is just for some quick feedback. I searched with google and on here aswell. I'll ask my recruiter tomorrow too, I just want to try to get everything organized today.

Komenko
05-31-10, 01:14 PM

I would post this in the Poolee section, but I'm unable to post there. - I leave to bootcamp in 6 days and been stressing out about what to bring. I already know the basics: Stamps, Addresses, SSC, etc. But I was wondering if I should bring a Debit card?

At a Marine Parent day my RS had, they talked about how I should get Navy Federal for my banking and what not, so I did (They had NF representatives there) and got a NF Debit card. Should I bring it with me? I would ask my recruiter but today is a holiday and there's no rush in asking him since I have tomorrow aswell. I see I should bring one and I also see I shouldn't.

Again, this is just for some quick feedback. I searched with google and on here aswell. I'll ask my recruiter tomorrow too, I just want to try to get everything organized today.

first off your recruiter shouldn't be telling you where to be banking at! thats your decision. second if you have a bank account already bring your own direct deposit form and take your ATM card with you cause your gonna need it. third don't buy into that fort still BS. that bank likes to rip its members off. had a bad day while in my MOS school with them one day. Fort Still i believe is still contracted for recruits to use while in boot.

Urbina
05-31-10, 01:24 PM
first off your recruiter shouldn't be telling you where to be banking at! thats your decision. second if you have a bank account already bring your own direct deposit form and take your ATM card with you cause your gonna need it. third don't buy into that fort still BS. that bank likes to rip its members off. had a bad day while in my MOS school with them one day. Fort Still i believe is still contracted for recruits to use while in boot.

Thanks Komenko, I'll bring my own then.

Komenko
05-31-10, 01:25 PM
Thanks Komenko, I'll bring my own then.

don't forget that direct deposit form, admin will need that for payroll!

TLove250
05-31-10, 01:27 PM
Hello. Happy Memorial Day to you too, and all here.
If things have not changed you will not need a debit card. If (when. let's think positively) you make it to Family Day not having a debit card will not be a problem. I was told that the cost of the little things we bought before Family Day was taken out of our first check. I never checked, it did not matter. If true, it is a VERY small price to pay for earning the title Marine.
Since you already have a bank account you are a step ahead. I honestly do not remember when I opened an account with them, or if I used cash on Family Day or not to shop with. You could ask your recruiter if you will need it for Family Day, if you do not I would not bring it.
Good Luck!

Lisa 23
05-31-10, 01:43 PM
It's Marines, not hey everyone.

I would post this in the Poolee section, but I'm unable to post there.

You're posting in the wrong fourm. Open Squad Bay is for Marines Only.
You can post in the Ask A Marine forum.

Zulu 36
05-31-10, 02:03 PM
This topic has been extensively covered in other posts.

Essentially, you don't need to bring anything with you except your social security card, any documents MEPS might give you, a piece of paper with addresses on it, perhaps your driver's license. You can bring a small bible or prayer book. Any extra crap will be either thrown away or boxed up with the civvies you wore, and not to be seen again until you leave the Depot. If you want reading material for your trip, bring a cheap paperback or magazine you can throw away at the airport.

Everything else you need will be issued, including postage stamps and letter writing materials. Those health and comfort items (also known as "bucket issue") will come out of your pay. So will haircuts starting with the first one. The basic issue of uniforms will not come out of your pocket.

In Receiving, you will be signing up for direct deposit in an account at a bank on the Recruit Depot (you have no choice). You will get a debit card from that bank. You will use your debit card to purchase any replacement health and comfort items you need during boot camp. No, you can't go to the PX any time you want. Your whole platoon will make a couple of trips as a mob.

After boot camp, you can change your bank affiliation to where ever you want.

Komenko
05-31-10, 02:57 PM
In Receiving, you will be signing up for direct deposit in an account at a bank on the Recruit Depot (you have no choice). You will get a debit card from that bank. You will use your debit card to purchase any replacement health and comfort items you need during boot camp. No, you can't go to the PX any time you want. Your whole platoon will make a couple of trips as a mob.

After boot camp, you can change your bank affiliation to where ever you want.

are you sure about that Zulu cause when i went in 1997 i also had a bank account already made and had a direct deposit form set up to where i have some of my pay sent to for savings. guess the OP will have to check with the recruiter then to confirm.

Zulu 36
05-31-10, 03:07 PM
I'm quoting the latest and greatest published within the past year by Marines who just graduated.

As I wrote, this topic has been flogged darned near to death in the past.

il duce
05-31-10, 06:15 PM
Yes, as stated, your pay is direct-deposited into a bank on the Depot. You have no other choice.

Oh, and you will NOT be able to send money home unless an extreme emergency

Urbina
05-31-10, 11:08 PM
Alright, thanks for the feedback. Just needed to know whether or not to bring the DC, I think I got my answer. I'll ask my recruiter tomorrow to be 100% positive.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I couldn't post in the poolee section.

EDIT: @WMarine: Sorry if I offended you with "Hey Everyone" - I'm assuming not everyone who reads and is able to reply to my original post is a Marine - and I also try to keep everything friendly.. who can be offended with "Hey Everyone", when I'm asking the whole community (or atleast anyone with the knowledge) for some quick help. Again, I apologize if I offended you.