PDA

View Full Version : Transplants

stretchusa
05-30-10, 02:05 PM
So here is the deal. Next week my wife and I are heading down to Duke to get her evaluated for a double lung transplant. My question is this, does anyone on here have any experience with a family member getting a transplant? What can I expect as the primary caregiver? And finally what can expect from the whole process?

I have searched the net on this topic, but as helpful as some of the websites can be, they aren't Marines. So anyhelp is appreciated.

Semper Fi:flag:

USNAviator
05-30-10, 04:22 PM
So here is the deal. Next week my wife and I are heading down to Duke to get her evaluated for a double lung transplant. My question is this, does anyone on here have any experience with a family member getting a transplant? What can I expect as the primary caregiver? And finally what can expect from the whole process?

I have searched the net on this topic, but as helpful as some of the websites can be, they aren't Marines. So anyhelp is appreciated.

Ben

I'm not sure anyone will be able to help you with your problem here on Leatherneck. But I will say that you and your wife are heading to one of the best medical care facilities in the world

My wife underwent a radical procedure at Duke. We prepared in advance by writing down all the questions we could think of. The Doctors sat and patiently answered each and every concern

I will also advise you two visit an attorney so your wife can prepare a health care proxy. You'll need this should anything happen during the procedure. This should then be presented to Duke, you should have a copy and your attorney as well

Good luck to your wife and you as well Marine. God speed

Dan

Mongoose
05-30-10, 04:26 PM
I dont know any thing about it . My ex wife has copd really bad. She is probley in line for the same thing. God bless your wife and good luck to you both. S/F

AAV Crewchief
05-30-10, 04:43 PM
Ben

I'm not sure anyone will be able to help you with your problem here on Leatherneck. But I will say that you and your wife are heading to one of the best medical care facilities in the world

My wife underwent a radical procedure at Duke. We prepared in advance by writing down all the questions we could think of. The Doctors sat and patiently answered each and every concern

I will also advise you two visit an attorney so your wife can prepare a health care proxy. You'll need this should anything happen during the procedure. This should then be presented to Duke, you should have a copy and your attorney as well

Dan

+1

Rocky C
05-30-10, 05:16 PM

I have searched the net on this topic, but as helpful as some of the websites can be, they aren't Marines. So any help is appreciated.

God Bless and Good Luck :thumbup:.
Prayers Outbound and Please give us a SitRep on the Eval when you can.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

stretchusa
05-30-10, 05:20 PM
Ben

Dan
Cmdr,
Thanks for the support, We already knew about Duke being an outstanding hospital. The numbers for Duke are a bit higher than the national average at the 1, 2, and 3 year survival rates. But it is good to hear some first hand praises. As far as the health care proxy, that has been on hand since we got married. Thanks again.

Ben

stretchusa
05-30-10, 05:21 PM
God Bless and Good Luck :thumbup:.
Prayers Outbound and Please give us a SitRep on the Eval when you can.

Semper Fi,
Rocky
Thank you, and will do.

Ben

USNAviator
05-30-10, 05:32 PM
Cmdr,
Thanks for the support, We already knew about Duke being an outstanding hospital. The numbers for Duke are a bit higher than the national average at the 1, 2, and 3 year survival rates. But it is good to hear some first hand praises. As far as the health care proxy, that has been on hand since we got married. Thanks again.

Ben

Ben

I'm glad I was able to offer some insight. I see we both live in Virginia. When you get to Duke with your health care proxy, have someone confirm they are legal in NC, things change

As Rocky said, please keep us all posted and feel free to PM me at anytime

Dan

stretchusa
06-06-10, 05:18 PM
So we got back from Duke this weekend, long story short she will probably need more tests we will find out Tuesday. Also know looking at a double lung, liver, pancreas transplant, oh the joys of CF. Thank you everyone for your support and prayers. And Cmdr. you are right about Duke being amazing, we are feeling much better about the whole thing now.

Semper Fi
Ben

Rocky C
06-06-10, 05:23 PM
So we got back from Duke this weekend, long story short she will probably need more tests we will find out Tuesday. Also know looking at a double lung, liver, pancreas transplant, oh the joys of CF. Thank you everyone for your support and prayers. And Cmdr. you are right about Duke being amazing, we are feeling much better about the whole thing now.

Semper Fi
Ben

Thanks for the Update Brother.
Prayers Outbound as Always Ben.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Old Marine
06-06-10, 05:28 PM

Semper Fi
Ben

Stretchusa:

I have a cousin whomany years ago when she was just a kid had to have a liver transplant. This was a procedure that was almost unheard of at the time. She went to UCLA Medical center for the procedure and doing fine today, except for taking many meds to this day. She is in her 60's now.

Good luck and prayer's outbound for your wife.

Phantom Blooper
06-06-10, 05:34 PM
stretchusa,

My prayers are out to your wife and you....

I cannot say about the transplants that your wife will have to undergo.

However...back in July 2004 I was admitted to Durham VA which is located right across the street from Duke.

Although I was admitted to the VAMC the doctors that I had and the chief of surgery from Duke did my operation for stomach and esophagus cancer...they knew their jobs and treated me with the utmost courtesy and respect....I chalk it up to them saving my life.

Although I just recently had more surgery here in Florida the doctors at Duke are great....even the interns,residents are observed rigidly by the staff.

Best to your wife and you!:evilgrin:

USNAviator
06-06-10, 06:05 PM

Semper Fi
Ben

Ben

Duke truly is an amazing place. To be in a comfortable environment is so important. I know that every Marine and Doc who reads this thread will keep your wife and you in their prayers. Most don't post so don't think it's only a handful who care.

Please keep us all informed. Keep the faith Ben. Those Duke doctors can do amazing things.

Dan

temarti
06-06-10, 07:33 PM
prayers are outbound for your wife and family, hope all goes well.

stretchusa
06-07-10, 05:42 PM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and Prayers, I will keep everyone posted as things develop.

Semper Fi

stretchusa
06-13-10, 06:10 PM
Latest Word, my wife is a good candidate for transplant, needs a few more tests before she is listed, but they want us to start making plans for us to relocate to Durham.

Semper

USNAviator
06-13-10, 06:20 PM
Latest Word, my wife is a good candidate for transplant, needs a few more tests before she is listed, but they want us to start making plans for us to relocate to Durham.

Semper

Ben

Thats good news!!! If you need some help regarding a realtor for renting purposes, I know few people in both Raleigh and Durham. Also know someone who owns an extended stay motel, fully equipped kitchens etc. Give me a hollar if you need help

Prayers out to both of you!!

Dan

stretchusa
06-13-10, 06:35 PM
Cmdr,
Thanks for your offer and your prayers. I'll let you know if we do wind up needing some help as the plans firm up.

Ben

stretchusa
08-24-10, 04:54 PM
Ok an update on the wife. We are in the middle of fundraising so we can relocate and then move to Durham. This past Sunday she was on the front page of the local paper, which was awesome. We are hoping that we will raise enough soon, so that we can get her listed. She is doing better, however this is because they have her on breathing treatments every 2 hours and IV's every 6 hours. Some of y'all have asked how you can help below is the links for both the story and the donation page.

Semper Fi
Ben

http://www.transplants.org/donate/kerrybaumann
http://www.dailypress.com/health/dp-nws-cystic-fibrosis-20100821,0,326557.story

Gunner 0313
08-24-10, 05:56 PM
:flag:My thoughts are with you both. Semper Fi Marine !

USNAviator
08-24-10, 06:08 PM
Ok an update on the wife. We are in the middle of fundraising so we can relocate and then move to Durham. This past Sunday she was on the front page of the local paper, which was awesome. We are hoping that we will raise enough soon, so that we can get her listed. She is doing better, however this is because they have her on breathing treatments every 2 hours and IV's every 6 hours. Some of y'all have asked how you can help below is the links for both the story and the donation page.

Semper Fi
Ben

http://www.transplants.org/donate/kerrybaumann
http://www.dailypress.com/health/dp-nws-cystic-fibrosis-20100821,0,326557.story

Ben

Thank you for the update. Your wife is the same age as my youngest daughter so that gave me something to think about. Donation has been sent

My prayers and thoughts out to the both of you and your families. My offer still stands if y'all need some help finding a renters agent or a realtor

stretchusa
08-28-10, 03:28 PM
Everyone, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. My wife came home on Wednesday, and we found out yesterday that we are halfway to our fundraising goal. Thank you to everyone who has given a donation. Dan, thank you for your offer, but I think we have found a place to stay.

Ben