PDA

View Full Version : Meritorius vs. TIG

thezero
05-30-10, 12:25 AM
Last Thursday I saw my warrent for meritorious Lance but was told that if I took that over my TIG that I would fall behind my peers who are promoted on the 1st. I would recieve my meritorious on the 3rd, when I graduate "A" school.

My SSGT said that if I took the meritorious that my composite score wouldn't start til July instead of June. They have already told me that I am going to get it for TIG so I don't fall behind my peers. Any second hand opinions on this and how it will effect me for CPL. I was going to try and get everything through meritorious until I get out, but this kind of ruined that plan :(

Also I earned the warrent from my 287 PFT, 90 avg, by holding a billet in the division, keeping my fellow Marines in check, etc.

FattyTheFerret
05-30-10, 01:16 AM
I would take the meritorious warrant. It's my understanding that regardless of when in the month you get promoted, your TIG is calculated from the beginning of the month.

http://www.yuma.usmc.mil/services/legal/documents/MCOP1400.32D.pdf

2. Lance Corporal. A PFC who has 8 months TIG from the PFC date of rank and 9 months TIS from the AFADBD and who is otherwise qualified for promotion, as determined by the commander, may be promoted to the grade of LCpl. A partial month is computed as a whole month for both elements. For example, a PFC promoted with a date of rank of 1 June 2000 and a PFC meritoriously promoted with a date of rank of 2 June 2000 both meet the 8 months TIG requirement on 1 February 2001.

Keep a copy of the warrant for your own records (laminate it, even) so if you're ever putting in a package for OCS or anything else where even the slightest edge would help you can have it on hand to present as evidence of exemplary service.

Congratulations, btw.

firedog974
05-30-10, 01:17 AM
I would take the meritorious warrant. It's my understanding that regardless of when in the month you get promoted, your TIG is calculated from the beginning of the month.

http://www.yuma.usmc.mil/services/legal/documents/MCOP1400.32D.pdf

Agreed. I think you may have got bum scoop here.

FattyTheFerret
05-30-10, 01:23 AM
Note: the last part of my post about keeping said copy is only what I've been told. no idea if it actually helps but I figured it wouldn't hurt :idea:

I don't mean to hijack the thread but if anyone wants to weigh on that I'm sure the new LCpl there up would appreciate it along with myself.

Quinbo
05-30-10, 01:31 AM
The promotion date of the 2nd says it all. The warrent is a nice keep sake though.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-30-10, 01:49 AM
Always nice to pick it up Meritorous. But your call.

jrod02
05-30-10, 04:40 AM
Go with the Meritorious.

temarti
05-30-10, 08:49 AM
Take the Meritorious, then the next goal would be to compete for Meritorious Cpl.

Rocky C
05-30-10, 09:05 AM
Take it!!!

Congrats Marine........

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Rocky C
05-30-10, 09:07 AM
x2 Matt

thezero
05-30-10, 12:28 PM
The big thing is though that the composite score will not start until the month after, so that is the reason why my SSGT said to take it on the first. I will have to read through that link provided to see if I can find anything, just busy trying to square away my uniforms and have my stuff ready to leave soon.

FattyTheFerret
05-30-10, 12:46 PM
Your composite score will start at the same time as everyone else's. A partial month is counted as a full month. This is coming directly from the MCO.

Composite score doesn't matter until you've met TIG which will happen for you in Feb of 2011 as it does for everyone that gets promoted this coming Tuesday. I don't ever remember seeing an accurate score in MOL until I hit TIG and even if it does start later for you the TIG covers more than two quarters so by the time your TIG rolls around it won't matter at all.

You will be eligible for promotion on the same date as all the rest of them and your cutting score will reflect your TIG as starting June 1 regardless of what date you get promoted.

FattyTheFerret
05-30-10, 12:50 PM
The term “eligible” as it relates to promotion refers to any
LCpl who meets the 8 months TIG and 12 months TIS requirement by the end of
the promotion quarter.

emphasis theirs

Since TIG/TIS is computed through the end of the promotion quarter,
Marines who meet the TIG/TIS requirements during any month during a promotion
quarter will have a composite score computed and will be considered eligible
for promotion any month during that promotion quarter. Therefore, it is
possible for a Marine to receive a select grade prior to obtaining the
required 8 months TIG. If the Marine is recommended for promotion by the
commander, he or she should be promoted.

EXAMPLE 2: A Marine with a LCpl date of rank of 1 July 2003 and a
Marine meritoriously promoted to LCpl with a date of rank of 2 July 2003 will
both have served 8 months TIG on 1 March 2004 and will have a composite score
computed for the January, February, and March 2004 promotion quarter.

and for general reference

3. The below schedule indicates the cutoff date for input of data elements,
the approximate date that composite scores will be computed, and the months
the composite scores for each quarter are reflected on the unit’s DFR for each
regular promotion quarter:

edit: oops, code box isn't allowed on this forum. i'll fix it

MCTFS CS DATA CS MONTHS CS IS
PROMOTION QUARTER ELEMENTS CUTOFF COMPUTED* ON UNIT DFR__
Jan, Feb, Mar 20 November 30 November Dec, Jan, Feb
Apr, May, Jun 20 February 28 February Mar, Apr, May
Jul, Aug, Sep 20 May 31 May Jun, Jul, Aug
Oct, Nov, Dec 20 August 31 August Sep, Oct, Nov

FattyTheFerret
05-30-10, 12:57 PM
bah **** it

it's on page 43

Zulu 36
05-30-10, 03:19 PM
Take the meritorious promotion. It looks a lot better if you get put up later for meritorious Cpl and/or Sgt. My meritorious PFC from boot camp seemed to make an impact on my board when I went up for meritorious Cpl (which I got second time through).

I just looked at both of my meritorious warrants and my date of rank went back to the first of the months of my promotion date. Of course that was in the early 1970s...

AAV Crewchief
05-30-10, 04:49 PM
Take the meritorious promotion. Then start busting ass for the next one. When I was in tracks, getting to CPL in a timely manner was the only thing that mattered. I got PFC time in grade, LCPL time in grade and then 6 months later I was a CPL meritoriously. 20 months into my hitch I was an NCO. The hard part after that was fitting in- none of the NCOs wanted to hang out with a CPL who was just 20 and because of the strict fraternization rules I couldn't hang out with my bros that I went to tracs school, to Okinawa, and then to Fuji with. Still, it was worth it. It took 23 months to get the next stripe.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-30-10, 05:19 PM
Yup. I made ALL my ranks the 'hard' way, TIS, TIG, except Cpl, which I got Meritorous. Had to compete at Squadron, Group, and then Wing level to get it and had to beat out about 20 other LCpl's. Took me 25 months and a lateral move to get it, then made Sgt 18 months later. But it helped in the long run, believe me. Any meritorous promotion always looks good and is something to be proud of.

thezero
06-01-10, 05:50 PM
Got promoted today, I think one of the biggest reasons is because my TIG hit for Lance today and to get meritorious from my school you get it on your graduation which I graduate on the 3rd. Got orders to work on C-130's. Plus now I can work towards meritorious Cpl with an idea on how to stand out already.

Rocky C
06-01-10, 05:59 PM
Got promoted today, I think one of the biggest reasons is because my TIG hit for Lance today and to get meritorious from my school you get it on your graduation which I graduate on the 3rd. Got orders to work on C-130's. Plus now I can work towards meritorious Cpl with an idea on how to stand out already.

Congrats!!!:flag:
Semper Fi,
Rocky

FattyTheFerret
06-01-10, 06:39 PM
Congratulations.

Is there a way to have it noted in your record that you were approved for a meritorious promotion before you hit TIG? Wouldn't hurt to have that in there.

thezero
06-01-10, 08:00 PM
I am not sure, I know my Ssgt said that it would be mentioned in my pros/cons and I should find those out tomorrow when I check out. I am hoping it will be mentioned somewhere just for that edge later on.