PDA

View Full Version : My Dogtags

boomer56328
05-28-10, 04:36 PM
When I was in the fleet I had several sets of dogtags I wore, but there was one set I always wore to the field. That set was the set I wore while I was in Afghanistan and then Iraq. Anyway, I'm now a cop here in my hometown and I have worn those same set of dogtags under my vest every shift for the last 6 years, ever since I started this job. I don't consider myself a superstitious person and don't really believe in luck, but last night I couldn't find my dogtags. I went to my wife and asked her about them. She told me that she saw my 3 year old son, Eli, playing with them. I'm not joking, I freaked out. I was searching frantically for them, couldn't get ready until I found them, even got mad at her for letting him play with them (like it was her fault). I had never let on to her that they meant that much to me, in fact I'm not sure I realized it until I couldn't find them. I was about to call in to work and take the night off because I couldn't find a set of dogtags. Anyway I found them and got to work just in time. Now my wife is mad at me because of the way I nutted out on her and I really don't blame her, she didn't deserve that. My question is, I guess, is if anyone has something from their time in service that they hold on to and would react like that if they lost it.

Rocky C
05-28-10, 05:45 PM
My Dog Tags Also.
Been on my Key Ring for almost 30 years.......

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Sgt Jim
05-28-10, 06:09 PM
Still have a dog tag and John Wayne on my key ring.

linda1945
05-28-10, 07:16 PM
I have one of mine on my key ring and it stays in my purse all the time!!

Sgt Leprechaun
05-28-10, 11:49 PM
Still have a JW on my keyring and wore the SAME dog tag in my boot since at least 1997. AND I was the same way, wore my 'duty' set as a LEO until I left the street.

So no, you ain't crazy. And I don't blame you.

Quinbo
05-29-10, 12:13 AM
I still have the tackle box with extra everything. I think there are 3 sets of dog tags in there.

Of all things and it really seems trivial. I broke out my war bag to see if there were some heat tabs in there for my sons scouting trip. Before I could say boo my daughter grabbed a nerf football and removed the plastic wrapper like she was opening a christmas present. Well we can't undo it. Go take it out and play.

Like I said trivial but I carried that football in my pack to Kuaite and back. Just a styrophome football. Darn it. She didn't know no better and I didn't freak out.

kenrobg30
05-29-10, 07:38 AM
I still have the tackle box with extra everything. I think there are 3 sets of dog tags in there.

Of all things and it really seems trivial. I broke out my war bag to see if there were some heat tabs in there for my sons scouting trip. Before I could say boo my daughter grabbed a nerf football and removed the plastic wrapper like she was opening a christmas present. Well we can't undo it. Go take it out and play.

Like I said trivial but I carried that football in my pack to Kuaite and back. Just a styrophome football. Darn it. She didn't know no better and I didn't freak out.
I carry my dogtag, and a C-rats can opener, Bob. I'm not about to tell you how old they are. :D S/F!!! Ken

kaboom1371
05-29-10, 06:25 PM
I keep my tags on key chains also. I don't leave home without one. If I can't find my keys I have an extra set that has my other tag on it.

Komenko
05-29-10, 06:44 PM
I still have my orginal set from boot camp. wore them for all 10 years i was in and took them to Iraq. I've had other dog tags made but i used my first set all the time. i got one on my key ring and...

SpartanMullet
05-30-10, 01:30 AM
I still have my dog tags I wore to Iraq and I wear them whenever I feel I need good luck!

jrod02
05-30-10, 05:09 AM
As we speak I am wearing my dogtags I received in Boot. I wore them thru both my tours in Fallujah and 3 car accidents. Only time I take them off is to get in the shower.

Macmarine
05-30-10, 10:49 AM
Went in in 1968, still have one of the original tags from first day of boot. Carried it on my key ring until three weeks ago when the hole split open and it fell off my key ring. Now its in the center console of my truck, and I'm trying to figure how to fix it so I can put it back on my key ring. Feel lost without it.:(
Mike

TLove250
05-30-10, 11:00 AM
Still have my dogtags, keep them in my purse. We used black tape to silence them, and I have the tape on them with a key that I cannot remember what it was to, attached. I know the key was important to me, but I cannot for the life of me remember why.

Osotogary
05-30-10, 02:58 PM
...and I'm trying to figure how to fix it so I can put it back on my key ring.

Perhaps, one of your friends. who might be interested in welding and skillful at what needs to be done, could solder on a steel or other metal washer. How about a tight fit rubber washer or some kind of rivet device? Maybe you could put your dog tag within a casing of sorts, like a luggage identification casing. Me? I might have it covered in some sort of clear polyurethane(?), tap a hole at the top and put it on a neck or wrist bracelet.

ecfree
05-30-10, 03:51 PM
. Me? I might have it covered in some sort of clear polyurethane(?), tap a hole at the top and put it on a neck or wrist bracelet.
Good idea GARY,,,,,,,,,,,,:thumbup::thumbup:

Macmarine
05-30-10, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the suggustion, I'll try one or the other.
Mike

cw2533
05-31-10, 02:04 PM
Still carry my c-rations opener that I carried thru 2 tours in Nam. Don't leave home without it.