PDA

View Full Version : Perseverance on drill field pays off for SDI

thedrifter
09-12-03, 05:55 AM
Perseverance on drill field pays off for SDI
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 20039518498
Story by Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(September 5, 2003) -- If a person peers at a senior drill instructor he may notice the shiny black patent leather belt that serves as a symbol of seniority and distinguishes a drill instructor as senior among his peers. What most people don't see is the blood, sweat, and tears it takes to earn that shiny belt and seniority.

Staff Sgt. Terrence C. Whitcomb, senior drill instructor, Platoon 3005, Company K. wears his senior belt with pride and knows the hard work that went into earning it. But his struggles to earn that belt started long before he reported to Drill Instructor School.

Before this former administrative chief could experience this new world and make his mark on the new Marines of the Corps, he made three attempts to come to the drill field.

"I tried when I was at three or four years in," said Whitcomb. "My battalion commanding officer told me to wait until I was at seven or eight years."

He took his CO's advice and waited until he gathered more job experience and applied at his next duty station where he was denied because he did not have enough time on station, according to Whitcomb.

Before submitting again, Whitcomb looked into both drill instructor duty and Marine security guard duty, but he decided to be a drill instructor because he noticed those Marines who had been on drill instructor duty carried themselves in a more desirable manner than people from other duty fields.

His third time was drawn out until he knew a little more about how the system worked.

"I waited until I was 60 to 90 days out from my end of active service and submitted to reenlist or extend in exchange for Depot orders," Whitcomb said.

With eight and a half years in, he came to the Depot and attended Drill Instructor School before being assigned to Company K, where he was met with long hours and a large workload.

"It was a culture shock when I got here," said Staff Sgt. Terrence C. Whitcomb "There was a big learning curve."

Whitcomb, who was used to being an instructor at a reserve unit, had to adjust his role from teacher to student and at the same time remember that he was a staff noncommissioned officer.

"The leadership challenge keeps me going everyday," said Whitcomb. "I was a staff noncommissioned officer when I joined the company. The hours and workload were demanding."

He said he saw the seasoned staff noncommissioned officers around him, and if they could do it, then he could do it.

Others around him have noticed his change from that entry-level drill instructor to one of the top senior drill instructors of the company.

"I worked with him twice: his first cycle and my last senior drill instructor cycle," said Staff Sgt. Harold E. Lucas, series gunnery sergeant, Company K. "Hard work and perseverance paid off."

Whitcomb will be taking Lucas' position as series gunnery sergeant next cycle.

"He walks the talk and practices what he preaches," Lucas said. "He is a constant and true professional."

Lucas has titled Whitcomb "the little general", and the name has stuck throughout the company.

"I made it up because he is head strong, a ball of fire, and he's short," said Lucas. "He is demanding and leads from the front like a commander. He is probably the most efficient, effective leader--a true leader like a general."

While commanding respect of his recruits and fellow drill instructors, he maintains the presence of a father figure and takes care of them, according to Lucas.

"He leads by example," said Sgt. Jeffery W. Bryant, drill instructor, Platoon 3005, Company K. "He is beyond his peers, like a staff noncommissioned officer out in the fleet should be."

It is important to Whitcomb that he carries his own weight as a staff noncommissioned officer:

"Dealing with civilians, some who come from foster homes or shelters, takes staff noncommissioned officer and senior drill instructor leadership together to help solve a recruit's personal problems," said Whitcomb. "I'm here pretty much everyday and at all of the events. It allows me to answer questions, have an idea of what is going on in the platoon and to give a break to the drill instructors, especially the ones with families."

Whitcomb finds it important to lead by example. He also believes that before one can task out missions, they should be able to accomplish it themselves.

Requiring his recruits to meet certain requirements before leaving the Depot, Whitcomb also wants them to leave with certain goals.

"I want my recruits to leave here knowing how to be professionals and know their job," Whitcomb said. "When you realize the big picture, you can only produce a basically trained Marine, then the operating forces mentor and lead them, on and off duty."

In his next cycle, being a series gunnery sergeant for Company K will give Whitcomb more time to spend with his fiancé, Latanya D. Bradley, who has been a source of support since he began his tour on the Depot.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200395185050/$file/DI_Whitcomb_lr.jpg

Staff Sgt. Terrence C. Whitcomb, senior drill instructor, Platoon 3005, Company K, commands his platoon during final drill competition on the parade deck.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: