PDA

View Full Version : 3rd MAW CG and VMGR-234 bring Marines closer home

thedrifter
09-12-03, 05:53 AM
Submitted by: Marine Forces Reserve
Story Identification Number: 2003910154832
Story by Cpl. Damian McGee

AL KUT, Iraq(Sept. 10, 2003) -- Maj. Gen. James F. Amos, commanding general, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, took time to fly a mission with the Marines of Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron - 234 during his return visit to his command's area of responsibility, August 29. The mission brought nearly 100 Marines one step closer to American soil and their families.

"I wanted to be a part of this mission for two reasons," Amos said. "I first wanted to be able to fly with the great group of Marines in this squadron. The second reason is because I remember the joy I felt when I first left in June and I wanted to be a part of that same feeling for these Marines."

The Marines, who were part of 1st Battalion, 4th Marines, and 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion, were first picked up by Ch-53Ws and taken to Al Kut. From there, the Rangers of VMGR-234 brought in their C-130s to complete the retrograde and take the Marines back to Ali Al Salem Air Base.

This was only one of many flights VMGR-234 has flown since the beginning of the retrograde, but their missions have stretched the length of the war and continued on through the Phase IV currently in progress.

"We could not have done any of the things we've done out here without these Marines," Amos said. "I don't think, in the history of conflicts, has a reserve squadron done what these Marines have."

Although the flights are becoming more frequent as the days go by, Marines are not losing site of how important their role is, and what it means to their fellow devil dogs.

"It's important to get the Marines out of there as soon as we can," said Sgt. Paul J. McGuirk, loadmaster, VMGR-234. "They've been in the field for so long, that it makes the whole crew happy to know that they'll soon be going home."

It goes without saying that this excitement will extend over seas to the families who know their loved ones are coming home.

"We made a lot of mothers and wives happy today," Amos said. "The only thing that would possibly make this better would be having a Burger King trailer set up for these guys when they land in Ali Al Salem."

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: