PDA

View Full Version : Possible Retrain to NBC.....

SgtYac
05-24-10, 06:43 PM
Hey guys whats up. I've been on IRR since 2007 when i got off active duty. I was active from 2003-2007 last duty station was MCAS Cherry point. Soooooo my IRR time is up in Sep, I'm getting married in Aug to my wonderful fiancee whos a e-6 in the air force reserves. After watching her drill/etc for years i've decided to go back. I want to do the reserves. My current MOS of 7051 Crash Fire Rescue its not open right now or some ****. So i'm able to retrain. Seems like my options right now are PRP or NBC. Chose NBC its closely related to my paid civilian job as a firefighter. Anyone here got any info/low down info on this 3 month school in MO. Good MOS for reserves etc? Thanks in advance.

LandsNGrooves
05-25-10, 03:46 PM
I dont know what you seek in life, but being a CBRN guy in the Reserves wouldnt be bad,since your already a Firefighter. I'm not sure if they are doing it yet, but sometime in the near future they will be incorporating Civi Hazmat training into the CBRN school at Fort Leonard Wood. Just to let you know, this isnt super cool training dealing with top secret chemicals and wearing lab coats. Your basically a glorified car wash attendant. The schooling isnt really advanced. You basically learn about all the different types of hazards, learn of to manually plot hazard areas on a map which you will then learn how to do in a extremly redundant PC program. Then you will learn how to run the M17 senator which is a "lightwieght" (450lbs) 2 man carried olive drab pressure washer. You training will culminate in a 3 day FX which is actually good training and fun.You sent up COCs, run patrols and do casivacs all while instructors are chucking CS grenades at you. The instructors will call in CBRN attacks, then you have to plot them,and usually your slimed, soo you have to MOPP up til it dies down.

For you just being a reserve guy, it should be fine. For anyone who reads this now or thru a search latter, I would NOTTTTTT pick this MOS. Besides being boring, most CBRN guys are made into S3 *****es, which is ok if you like being a officerat.

Most of all, we had a little MOS meeting and were basically told that in the near to distant future that promotions to ssgt and Gunny would cease to exsist,because we are soo top heavy. Most Sgts thru Gunnt right now are looking at either going W.O. getting commissioned, or lat moving or cross decking to another branch.

PM me with any other questions.

polizei
05-25-10, 04:20 PM
Ft Leonard Wood SUCKS, and so do the reserves. Think about you decision for a long time, and choose wisely.