PDA

View Full Version : Which MOS are best suited to attend college as well?

xSatanos
05-22-10, 08:59 PM
I have read a lot of posts about attending college as active duty, and they mostly cover the fact that you will be attending school part time. I DEP'd in last week, and got a 99 on my asvab, so i have every MOS available (or so I'm told). My ultimate goal is to try to get a BA while enlisted to then apply as an officer. So what I am looking for is advice on which MOS options are better suited to allow me to attend college. Any and all advice is welcomed! Thank you :D

TinDragon
05-22-10, 09:02 PM
You want a desk job. Intel perhaps. In my specific job I have plenty of time for college (though usually in my case, and in most other cases, it'll probably work out better if they're online courses). Infantry and more combat related jobs are usually in a field a lot more, which means less free time and less access to the Internet.

Intel, Admin, Communications in a lot of cases, jobs like that.

J Cooper
05-22-10, 10:22 PM
Do it online. Any MOS. Its easy and only requires like 6 hours a week whenever you want. I go through Phoenix Online and its great. Plus you get your degree quicker online and its all accredited.

xSatanos
05-23-10, 05:44 PM
How many online courses can you usually fit it a semester? and does Tuition assistance cover the whole cost of classes? I was looking at the phoenix online website and it says its 250 a credit for military students, which would be 750 per class on average? Thnx for the insight!
oh, and any additional information or opinions on the online courses is much appreciated, I've always been a little curious about how online courses work

TinDragon
05-23-10, 05:56 PM
I would personally recommend AMU. They charge you exactly the max you can get from TA for a class, and you not only pay for the class with that money, but any books needed as well. Most other...

indygti
05-23-10, 06:01 PM
My recommendation to you would be focus on your initial enlistment before you start diving into college. That is unless you were in admin, or something that a hired monkey could do, but even so, I highly doubt you're going to have that much time to focus most of your attention on school, which shouldn't be the case anyways.

I also would advise against choosing an MOS for the sole purpose of having time to take college courses during your enlistment as well. If you hate your MOS you're more than likely going to dread being in the Corps in the first place, which will probably sway you from wanting to become an officer.

You haven't even completed boot camp yet brother, so how do you even know you'll like the Marine Corps? Let alone, like it enough to want to put yourself through your first enlistment and college, then have to go the arduous task of becoming a Marine Corps officer?

Take one step at a time. Choose an MOS that interests you, something that you could see yourself enjoying for the next four years, because there's no changing it. Once you complete your first enlistment and decide you really want to become an officer, re-enlist into the reserves and just go to school full time and then submit your officer packet.

haebyungdae
05-24-10, 06:14 AM
This may sound kinda dickish, but think about the Marine Corps first before decided on what college to go to. If you initial questions about enlistment are how to go to college and what the best job is in order to get your free educations is, then I would beg to ask why you are even considering/enlisting in the Marine Corps. You could attend much easier just going to the Air Force.

Chances are, if you want to spend your time in the Corps taking as many classes as possible your best bet would be, like indy said, get a non-combat arms, non-technical MOS that a drunk monkey can be trained to do and spend your time there. Then watch as you began to hate your time in the Corps because you're not doing "stuff."

Vice what TinDragon said, do not come to intel. We do not need Marines who are not fully focused on their job, at least in my job given the very technical nature of it, 51s are a little different... in many ways ;)

Sorry again if I'm being a dick

xSatanos
05-24-10, 10:36 AM
No worries, I see all your viewpoints. Reason I am joining the Marine Corps is because I feel like I am an exceptionally talented individual at anything I dedicate myself too. Currently I am a Starbucks Manager and have done great things for that company, with many opportunities of promotion, but recently I decided that I would rather put my leadership skills and talents to a better use. I would have love to serve as an officer from what I have learned, but obviously I don't have a degree. So I plan to go to mustang route, enlist, serve to the best of my ability, and to keep in sight my goal of eventually serving as an officer and serve my men well. I am a highly motivated individual, and had I simply wanted to become an officer in any branch, then I would have picked Air Force. But I have a higher respect for the Marines Corps, and would be proud and honored to serve in it. Thank you for your perspectives Marines. :)

TinDragon
05-24-10, 05:40 PM
Vice what TinDragon said, do not come to intel. We do not need Marines who are not fully focused on their job, at least in my job given the very technical nature of it, 51s are a little different... in many ways ;)

Based on the fact that this is a public forum I'm not gonna comment on this except that I wish he was wrong. He's not wrong and you should see some of the people who passed 51 school. Haha.