PDA

View Full Version : If Blumenthal had seen combat

USNAviator
05-22-10, 06:52 PM
This was from the Washington Post today and written by Kathleen Parker

What Blumenthal might have learned from the war zone

I have a thing for Marines, always have. It began a long time ago when I watched my older brother amble away in the night toward his barracks at Camp Pendleton near San Diego.

I cried myself dry that evening, thinking that I might not see him again, knowing that the next morning he was off to Vietnam. Khe Sanh, his ultimate destination, might as well have been another planet. As it turns out, it was Hell.

Jack came home eventually, a different boy than the one who left. Still just a teenager, he was leaner and meaner. His eyes gave nothing away. When our father and I visited Jack at the Naval Hospital in Philadelphia, where he was being treated for "battle fatigue" and other afflictions, we stuck to safe subjects: college, cars and girls, his primary interests at that point.

To this day, I've yet to hear any stories of war from him, or, for that matter, from any of the men in my family, all of them veterans of various conflicts. A few scattered pictures of tough boys sporting knives and guns occasionally find their way to the top of a shoe box, but there are no videos or journals, no displays of Purple Hearts.

Like most veterans, with a few notable exceptions, my brother has expressed no desire to revisit that time and place, nor any need to boast of his exploits. When you've witnessed the horrors of war, you apparently don't need to tell anyone.

Blumenthal had every right under the law to seek deferments. He had every right to be proud of his service during the Vietnam era. But he did not have the right to build personal equity on the borrowed suffering of others.

Had he gone to Vietnam, as he apparently thinks he should have, he would have learned that, and this: Real heroes never brag, and real Marines don't lie.

hbharrison
05-22-10, 08:26 PM
Cmdr my brother in law was in the navy way back when and I know what he felt about serving my Father served in the Army WW2 I served in VN I still don't like to talk about it but when people say they were there an were not I get that old feeling of wanting to just kick the cr*p out of them then go have a beer for all those guys I knew that never came home thanks for the post.

Wyoming
05-22-10, 08:33 PM
Excellent post Sir, this is outbound.

ecfree
05-22-10, 08:37 PM
Cmdr my brother in law was in the navy way back when and I know what he felt about serving my Father served in the Army WW2 I served in VN I still don't like to talk about it but when people say they were there an were not I get that old feeling of wanting to just kick the cr*p out of them then go have a beer for all those guys I knew that never came home thanks for the post.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

micarr57
05-22-10, 09:29 PM
excellent couldn't be said better

Lynn2
05-23-10, 07:21 AM
"and real Marines don't lie"

If only that were so. Sadly what this pol has done has been done by so many and a lot more over the top in many cases.

I have not seen wiff of it here on this forum. But over the years you hang out or lurk and read on other MC forums and the list of combat lying marines turns out to be as long as your arm.

Little lies and big lies. Silly lies and dumber lies.

Guys who for years had everyone convinced he was a hardcore, in the mud, put through the ringer, VN combat marine. And then one tiny misspeak and someone starts to ask one pointed question after another.

The pizz ant never set foot in VN. And yes he was a marine. And yes he was welcome to other mc forums after being banned on one despite his history of lying.

One E-9 who was actually an E-8 but could have been an E-7 or maybe an E-6 but in fact turned out to be an E-4. A real E-4. The rest was all some strange movie that played in his head that no one else was privy to.

Maybe its the nature for so many to over the years have that movie that plays in your mind become blurred and disjointed. Maybe they actually believe their plt or company were all given dead mens boots to wear. Maybe that cook or admin guy actually believes he functioned as a scout at night. Maybe he actually believes he was a part of a 2nd Marine Division unit of specially trained tunnel rats that were sent to VN (stolen by the 1stMarDiv in fact) and they wandered ICorps as a unit unattached to anyone for months on end.....looking for tunnels to crawl in :-)

Maybe maybe maybe......but this lying is not nearly as rare as dear Kathleen thinks it is.

kenrobg30
05-23-10, 12:13 PM
Would I be out of line, in thinking, that this guy is a hemheroid ? That's a useless pain, that hangs around Azzholes.:thumbdown S/F! Ken