PDA

View Full Version : Perception is Reality

LandsNGrooves
05-22-10, 06:16 PM
I need some wisdom from the more salty personnel here. We've all heard this. "Perception is Reality". It's seems to be unofficial doctrine. I've never jumped on this boat, but would like to know the theory behind it.

After my google search turned into and 2 hours multiportal jumping internet adventure that finally ended at some kinda strange Navy Officer/JAG message board where some stated a mil court judges service members to the facts apparent at the time, not in retrospect. Is this deduction close to the true meaning?

USNAviator
05-22-10, 07:16 PM
I need some wisdom from the more salty personnel here. We've all heard this. "Perception is Reality". It's seems to be unofficial doctrine. I've never jumped on this boat, but would like to know the theory behind it.

After my google search turned into and 2 hours multiportal jumping internet adventure that finally ended at some kinda strange Navy Officer/JAG message board where some stated a mil court judges service members to the facts apparent at the time, not in retrospect. Is this deduction close to the true meaning?

Would you mind clarifying this? I believe the quote is "Perception is more important than reality"

You know somehow I don't believe your profile, Smuckatelli!!!

Wyoming
05-22-10, 07:19 PM

Run this by me again. :confused:

Marine84
05-22-10, 08:09 PM
Yes, perception IS reality!

My perception of you is you're weird - reality is YOU ARE!!

Wyoming
05-22-10, 08:26 PM
Kim, good scotch is hard to come by in the Tetons.:beer:

Please give a warning.

micarr57
05-22-10, 09:32 PM
perception is how you want it to be reality is how it is

DocGreek
05-22-10, 10:41 PM
The Prophet speaks....."VERY rarely do one's expectations equal the reality of life."
It's the "YING & YANG" thing!!.......:p

The DUKE
05-22-10, 11:13 PM
THERES WHATS TRUE, THERES WHATS NOT TRUE, THEN THERES WHAT YOU REFUSE TO BELIEVE ++++

Hence percertion is reality, or versa visa.

SlingerDun
05-22-10, 11:27 PM
1980, Urban Cowboy hit the Americas and directly mechanical bulls were bolted onto the decks of barrooms across the country, surrounded by stained mattresses and honyocks. "Charlie One Horse" lids and Lonestar beer were common as Nike gear and Gatorade today.

Many of these people who dressed up after work for two-step lessons and a turn on the hydraulic minotaur really did perceive themselves as sure-nuff cowhands. They were not, and that was reality.

What came of that fad? Western work garments became stylish, Carhartt and Levi jackets, Resistol and Stetson hats, cowboy boots, prices on all things western busted loose!http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif and that was reality

--->Dave

CalmaSAdkisson
05-23-10, 01:48 AM
I thought perspective was a way of looking at reality, a coping skill.

CplGiraffe
05-23-10, 04:09 AM
I think in a Marine Corps way, what you found seems to be correct. For example, a military court judging on whether you should have shot someone for some reason. The fact that their weapon had no bullets in it has nothing to do with the fact that you shot them because they had a weapon and were running towards you. Perception is they could have killed you, the reality is they had no bullets so they never would have hurt you. However, you won't be judged based on the fact that they had no bullets, how are you to know about that. So... perception is going to be the natural response to a situation and the expected response to a situation....if you stick with what any normal person would do, you should be ok. Even if in reality it was a wooden rifle, the perception that it looked real so you made a decision should not be questioned. Maybe this response will get some salty gears ticking of some others.

Quinbo
05-23-10, 04:16 AM
Henny Penny percieved that the sky was falling when in reality an acorn had fallen out of a tree and smacked that chicken on the head.

There was no convincing henny penny that the sky wasn't actually falling.

LandsNGrooves
05-23-10, 10:01 PM
I think in a Marine Corps way, what you found seems to be correct. For example, a military court judging on whether you should have shot someone for some reason. The fact that their weapon had no bullets in it has nothing to do with the fact that you shot them because they had a weapon and were running towards you. Perception is they could have killed you, the reality is they had no bullets so they never would have hurt you. However, you won't be judged based on the fact that they had no bullets, how are you to know about that. So... perception is going to be the natural response to a situation and the expected response to a situation....if you stick with what any normal person would do, you should be ok. Even if in reality it was a wooden rifle, the perception that it looked real so you made a decision should not be questioned. Maybe this response will get some salty gears ticking of some others.

YUT.