PDA

View Full Version : Being aboard Ship ?

gkmoz
05-22-10, 04:32 PM
Who liked being aboard ship ? And what was the type/name of ship you served on ? Temporary/permanent ? maneuvers ? I served on the USS dubuque LPD 8 ( used to be called LSD )1969 out of San Diego for a week and an LST that I don't remember the name of ? Getting old ya know LOL 1833 amtrac crewman ( gas powered ) the diesels were just coming in late 69-70. Who can ever forget coming off ship and going below the water for 20-30 seconds !!!!! ) 03s used to c..p their pants LOL !! Me to first time !!:D Gary / Moz

haebyungdae
05-22-10, 05:36 PM
2007 was on the USS Essex (LHD 2) with the 31st MEU. It was...okay lol. Spent most my time sleeping, PT'ing, or smoking because there wasn't must work to be done since I was mostly just there for the ride.

TinDragon
05-22-10, 05:45 PM
Pretty much the same story as haeb for me, except in 2009, and replace smoking and PT with video games and anime.

Also flew over to the USS Denver (LPD-9) during that time via helo. That boat was friggen small in comparison.

Danny C Smith
05-22-10, 06:06 PM
LST the Frederick now de-comissioned as I understand it.
Feb. 1989 I believe.
Everything sucked and I stayed sick as a dog the
entire time. No sea legs on this Marine.

Smitty:usmc:

Old Marine
05-22-10, 08:05 PM
Got to ride the Merchant Marine troop ship USS Gordon to Korea. In the Mess Hall all the troops stood to eat meals. It was a long ride and lots of puking Marines.

gkmoz
05-22-10, 08:25 PM
Got to ride the Merchant Marine troop ship USS Gordon to Korea. In the Mess Hall all the troops stood to eat meals. It was a long ride and lots of puking Marines.
Fortunately I never had any sea sickness (buying a buiccccccccccckkkk ! ) LOL !!

Old Marine
05-22-10, 09:25 PM
Fortunately I never had any sea sickness (buying a buiccccccccccckkkk ! ) LOL !!

A Buick is a great car and that is why you see a lot of old foggys driving them. Pretty much maintenance free.:evilgrin:

Big Jim
05-22-10, 09:31 PM
Who liked being aboard ship ? And what was the type/name of ship you served on ? Temporary/permanent ? maneuvers ? I served on the USS dubuque LPD 8 ( used to be called LSD )1969 out of San Diego for a week and an LST that I don't remember the name of ? Getting old ya know LOL 1833 amtrac crewman ( gas powered ) the diesels were just coming in late 69-70. Who can ever forget coming off ship and going below the water for 20-30 seconds !!!!! ) 03s used to c..p their pants LOL !! Me to first time !!:D Gary / Moz

I was on that very same ship in summer of 1988...we were in Korea for Team Spirit near Sa-Song range and we were shipped on a LCAC, HOVERCRAFT, from the well deck of the boat inland for almost a mile........!!!

I was also on the Duluth....the Peoria...and the Germantown......all while in the far east.....as far as liking it....well I didn't like it too much but I did it. LOL....

sparkie
05-22-10, 09:33 PM
1971, On float. Dubukue was one o the 4. My boat was the Tripoli LPH-10. Good times. Might of been the Duluth,,,,,,,, Don't remember.

SlingerDun
05-22-10, 09:54 PM
Heard tell Vice Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount, 1st Duke of Bronte suffered terrible sea sickness from high seas and heavy winds:sick:

Komenko
05-22-10, 10:52 PM
I was on the USS Dubuque (LPD-8), USS Germantown (LSD-42), USS Belleau Wood (LHA-3) during the 31st MEU in 1998 out of Okinawa. USS La Moure County (LST-1194) and USS Tortuga (LSD-46) during UNITAS 41 in 2000. both the Belleau Wood (She was sunk off the coast of Hawaii as part of RIMPAC '06 exercises on 13 July 2006) and La Moure County (Sunk as a target, July 2001 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_La_Moure_County_(LST-1194))) are sitting on the bottom of the Pacific. Was stuck in Chile for 30 days waiting on the Tortuga after what happened with the County.

ameriken
05-22-10, 11:11 PM
WESTPAC '77 with 3/9, took the Alamo LSD-33 from Oki to Japan, then the Juneau LPD-10 from Japan to PI, then the Dubuque LPD-8 back to Oki. Was on another LPD in 78 or 79 for an exercise off Pendleton but I dont remember the name of that one.

Being aboard ship was perhaps one of my best times in the Corps. Not to mention the 5 weeks in PI.

Quinbo
05-23-10, 03:51 AM
Having a hard time remembering the names of some of the ships I was on for a week or less. There were a couple.

I do remember
Bristol County
Frederick
Belleau Wood
Essex
Wasp

Excluding the Belleau Wood and the Bristol County, a lot of those ships I was only on for a few hours or days as part of a beach landing training exercise.

rktect3j
05-23-10, 07:01 AM
West Pac 1992. LSD40 USS Fort Fisher. About 8 months living on ship. One of the best times I had. I highly recommend a tour on a ship if you can get it.

Garyius
05-23-10, 08:42 AM
WESTPAC '77 with 3/9, took the Alamo LSD-33 from Oki to Japan, then the Juneau LPD-10 from Japan to PI, then the Dubuque LPD-8 back to Oki. Was on another LPD in 78 or 79 for an exercise off Pendleton but I dont remember the name of that one.

Being aboard ship was perhaps one of my best times in the Corps. Not to mention the 5 weeks in PI.

Alamo in 89. That was a well run ship then.

New Orleans in 88. I think I would have been better off being in prison.

I just rode around mostly, went to the workout equipment a little, worked just a wee little, but mostly laid around and watched TV or read.

Mongoose
05-23-10, 10:30 AM
1971, On float. Dubukue was one o the 4. My boat was the Tripoli LPH-10. Good times. Might of been the Duluth,,,,,,,, Don't remember.
Sparkie, we were SLF BRAVO LAST OF Dec. 68. I really cant remember , have to ask Fist. But I think we were on USS Tripilie

Lynn2
05-23-10, 10:52 AM
It was just like a movie.

Don't know the actual number but it looked like maybe 2000 Marines and 12 Docs all combat ready except for rifles and ammo lined up to go aboard the USS Billy Mitchell.

Sailing out of SD Harbor on a sunny day on our way to VN via Oki. I was going to war. And I was the happiest most excited tadpole you ever saw.

The ship itself sucked. The stacking of racks down deep in that hot airless hole was a misery. When the 12 of us were discovered by the ships crew of Corpsman the 2nd day we gladly left those Marines, none of them we knew nor were going to be stationed with, behind and went to the sickbay (it was so nice and cool up there I needed a sweater) to lend a hand and to spend our days and cool sleeping nights.

The ride over was great. And each day that passed I got more and more excited.

The only concern I had , and this was June 1965, was that my FMSS fellow grads had except for the 12 of us all flown over.

I was concerned that this delay in transit meant that I might miss something. The Marines had landed. They were going out hunting. The war would be over in no time of this I was sure. I was afraid I was going to miss it.

Yes I was young....happy....and far to stupid for my own good.

Old Marine
05-23-10, 11:05 AM
Two years ago I rode the Princess to Hawaii and back to San Diego.We really had it rough on there. Even had one foot waves. People were puking all over the place because of the rough seas.

rg2o3
05-23-10, 11:29 AM
Ill be on ship pretty soon for a bit, I will let you guys know how it was.

Skosh59
05-23-10, 12:03 PM
APA36 Camberia 1 month fld. prob.; AKA100 Oglethorpe 6 months;
AKA100 Oglethorpe 3 month; LST1159 Tom Green County; plus a few more that I can't remember.

Life was great, petty as_ inspections, powdered eggs & milk, water hours, fire watch, battle drills, etc. Some positive moments, playing cards & reading skin books.

gkmoz
05-23-10, 12:47 PM
That reminds me, The LST i was on was named by a county somewhere in Oklahoma if I remember correctly ?? Anyone remember an LST like that ?

gkmoz
05-23-10, 12:52 PM
Here she is !! http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/lpd8/Pages/DubuqueAwarded11thGreen%27H%27.aspx

exnitro
05-23-10, 12:58 PM
I rode some flat bottom boat from Da Nang to Subic Bay, 2 days of seasick Marines. Then we got on the Valley Forge, a LPH 8, from there back to Nam. On an off the carrier for the next 7 months. Food was great and showers were hot.

gkmoz
05-23-10, 04:11 PM
I rode some flat bottom boat from Da Nang to Subic Bay, 2 days of seasick Marines. Then we got on the Valley Forge, a LPH 8, from there back to Nam. On an off the carrier for the next 7 months. Food was great and showers were hot.
Yeah ! Me too ! ( food/Showers) That and sitting on the rear of the ship at sunset smokin a cigarette enjoying watching the sun go down. Loved it !

SlingerDun
05-23-10, 04:13 PM
Ill be on ship pretty soon for a bit, I will let you guys know how it was.Thanks, and don't forget to pick up a zippo at the ships store

sparkie
05-23-10, 05:50 PM
Ah,,,,, the old zippo,,,,,, lost mine.

Damm flat bottom LST,,,,, Friggin cork. But I got a strong stomach.

Bruce59
05-23-10, 06:25 PM
Well Well, let me see. was on 16 different ships and two Subs, and no I
can't remember all there names. Two USNS Ships two Okinawa and back,
one was the Gen Hue J. Gaffy, APAs, a lot of LSTs, and the old Boxer
not the new one jeep Carrier. The subs were old ww2 ones, we would
train on for night landings 3rd Recon.