PDA

View Full Version : Reserve MOS question

SpartanMullet
05-19-10, 07:12 PM
Greetings!

Here is my story: I served as a combat photographer from 2000-2004. Got out with a RE1A. I went to college, got my Bachelors degree and now I am strongly considering going back to the Corps. Come to find out, it's not as easy as I hoped it would be. I called the OSO the other day to find out some info about going to OCS and leading Marines. Apparently I am too old (28) and have too many tattoos (5). I was pretty upset, but no point in arguing. So now I am thinking about going back in active duty enlisted, but apparently the Corps is only taking reservists right now. I know I have been rambling, but my main quesiton is this: is there a website out there that I can search my MOS and see what units I could serve in? I would like to keep my MOS, but if I had to change I would go infantry. Not sure how any of this reserve stuff works, but I really just want to get back into the uniform. Thanks!

il duce
05-19-10, 10:57 PM
Any Recruiter should be able to check the open MOSs at the Reserve stations in your surrounding area... or, may take longer, but each station should have a career planner that should be able to provide the same info

itzs4m
05-19-10, 11:28 PM
The Corps. can always use some Motor T Marines. haha but since you've served in the Marine Corps. already I'm definitely sure you'll be able to pick where you want to go and what you want to do. I would check with the recruiter again to make sure.

SpartanMullet
05-20-10, 08:16 AM
Thanks Marines.

indygti
05-20-10, 09:36 AM
28 is too old to become an officer?

AAV Crewchief
05-20-10, 10:19 AM
Greetings!

Here is my story: I served as a combat photographer from 2000-2004. Got out with a RE1A. I went to college, got my Bachelors degree and now I am strongly considering going back to the Corps. Come to find out, it's not as easy as I hoped it would be. I called the OSO the other day to find out some info about going to OCS and leading Marines. Apparently I am too old (28) and have too many tattoos (5). I was pretty upset, but no point in arguing. So now I am thinking about going back in active duty enlisted, but apparently the Corps is only taking reservists right now. I know I have been rambling, but my main quesiton is this: is there a website out there that I can search my MOS and see what units I could serve in? I would like to keep my MOS, but if I had to change I would go infantry. Not sure how any of this reserve stuff works, but I really just want to get back into the uniform. Thanks!

Too old? Hardly, especially since you were out earning a degree after having been prior enlisted. I had applied and been accepted into the PLC program at near the same age. I decided against it later (regret that decision today). Find another recruiter who will work with you.

indygti
05-20-10, 11:13 AM
I've founded conflicting information in the internet, one site saying the max age is 28 (30 if currently enlisted), and another saying "less than 30."

Either way, 28 isn't too old like I thought. The tattoo situation is a fickle one (I think it's a load of b.s. personally, but whatever). I recommend following AAV's advice anyways and search for another OSO. Good luck!

SpartanMullet
05-20-10, 05:24 PM
Yeah I was shocked when the OSO told me that I was too old. He basically said with my tattoos and age, don't bother. But I am gonna call another OSO and get up to a 300 PFT and see what happens. I definitely don't feel too old to lead Marines. I feel I am much more qualified than some 22 year old with no experience in the Corps! Even if I must go to the reserves as an officer, I can handle that.

USNAviator
05-20-10, 06:01 PM
I've founded conflicting information in the internet, one site saying the max age is 28 (30 if currently enlisted), and another saying "less than 30."

Either way, 28 isn't too old like I thought. The tattoo situation is a fickle one (I think it's a load of b.s. personally, but whatever). I recommend following AAV's advice anyways and search for another OSO. Good luck!

Not sure if you tried the site below. It's geared only for Quantico, has forums similar to Leatherneck. You simply register and start looking

Obviously since you've graduated, PLC is out of the question. But as far as being too old at 28, I think that's faulty intel

Good luck

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

Dan

brian0351
05-21-10, 12:39 AM
Yeah I was shocked when the OSO told me that I was too old. He basically said with my tattoos and age, don't bother. But I am gonna call another OSO and get up to a 300 PFT and see what happens. I definitely don't feel too old to lead Marines. I feel I am much more qualified than some 22 year old with no experience in the Corps! Even if I must go to the reserves as an officer, I can handle that.

Did you tell him your a Former Marine? I do believe that for officer service adjusted age does count (i.e. 27 Max Age for officer + 4 years service = 31)

Although Officer recruiting could be experiencing the influx of people that enlisted recruiting has, where there are so many people out there that you don't want to bother with the ones who require waivers.

SpartanMullet
05-21-10, 03:20 PM
He definitely knows I am a former Marine. I am just going to have to do a lot of research and get myself in somehow. If I have till 31, then that will give me enough time to have tats removed....