PDA

View Full Version : Lawful/unlawful order...?

srdiniz88
05-18-10, 04:24 PM
I am tryin to find out if there is any orders describing what a unlawful order is or how to respond to it. I was told to do something stupid and felt that it was unlawful and voiced it and so i was told to find where it says what a unlawful order is and report back. If anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

USNAviator
05-18-10, 05:20 PM
I am tryin to find out if there is any orders describing what a unlawful order is or how to respond to it. I was told to do something stupid and felt that it was unlawful and voiced it and so i was told to find where it says what a unlawful order is and report back. If anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You need to fill in your profile! And can you expand a little more regarding your problem? It's a bit vague

Dan

Rocky C
05-18-10, 05:28 PM
Since you're listed as a Marine and should know what a Lawful Order is, one would think all else would be an Unlawful Order???
Or Not.................

Danny C Smith
05-18-10, 06:33 PM

What were you ordered to do?
That is the question.

Smitty:usmc:

Quinbo
05-18-10, 06:45 PM
If a Sergeant tells you to lick your elbow then you better break your neck trying. That is a lawful order. Anyone who questions orders is a liability to the unit. That is your out any way... my sergeant told me to put maple syrup in the crank case of this humvee. I didn't have a stupid attack he told me to do it.

Zulu 36
05-18-10, 06:55 PM
The concept is very simple. If the order requires you to do something illegal, then it is an unlawful order. Simple stupid orders do not count.

Just because it seems stupid to you, doesn't mean it is. It might be stupid, but that is immaterial as to whether you obey it or not.

Look up Article 92, UCMJ, and read that. Therein should lie your salvation.

haebyungdae
05-19-10, 04:45 AM
As Marines we have all had to follow a lot of stupid orders, especially as non rates cause that's how it is. Like Zulu said; it might not be as stupid as you think it is. If it causes you to break the law then call it as an unlawful order, or if it is hazing call it as such, but you better be damn sure that you are right or those above can bring it down harder. Advice: if its just something stupid and annoying, just do it, its easier to do it then to give those above you lip.

Dragonscript
05-19-10, 07:46 AM
What has been explained to me the difference between lawful and unlawful orders is this, could you defend yourself at a Court Martial hearing?

Situation:
If you were at a Rifle Range and while you were in the pits, a higher ranking Marine told you to stick your hand over the berm to grab something while live fire is going on. Is that a lawful or unlawful order?

CalmaSAdkisson
05-19-10, 08:04 AM
Perhaps the way it is written in the UCMJ ~

809. ART. 90. ASSAULTING OR WILLFULLY DISOBEYING SUPERIOR COMMISSIONED OFFICER.
Any person subject to this chapter who--
(1) strikes his superior commissioned officer or draws or lifts up any weapon or offers any violence against him while he is in the execution of his officer; or
(2) willfully disobeys a lawful command of his superior commissioned officer;
shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, and if the offense is committed at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.
891. ART. 91. INSUBORDINATE CONDUCT TOWARD WARRANT OFFICER, NONCOMMISSIONED OFFICER, OR PETTY OFFICER
Any warrant officer or enlisted member who--
(1) strikes or assaults a warrant officer, noncommissioned officer, or petty officer, while that officer is in the execution of his office;
(2) willfully disobeys the lawful order of a warrant officer, noncommissioned officer, or petty officer; or
(3) treats with contempt or is disrespectful in language or deportment toward a warrant officer, noncommissioned officer, or petty officer while that officer is in the execution of his office;
shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

CalmaSAdkisson
05-19-10, 08:49 AM
This might help also: <br />
<br />
Text. <br />
<br />
“Any person subject to this chapter who— <br />
<br />
(1) violates or fails to obey any lawful general order or regulation; <br />
<br />
(2) having knowledge of any other...

AAV Crewchief
05-19-10, 10:08 AM

You're a Marine?

spotts
05-19-10, 11:27 AM
His profile says he joined in 2007 and is still active as an E1. Sounds like a ****bird to me.

BR34
05-19-10, 11:32 AM
His profile says he joined in 2007 and is still active as an E1. Sounds like a ****bird to me.

That's cause he didn't fill his profile out. Those are the default figures.

Quinbo
05-19-10, 11:54 AM
There used to be a charge called silent contempt. You could be charged if you said yea sure instead of yes sir. You didn't have to say a word but give an officer stink eye and you were getting ran...

Garyius
05-19-10, 12:29 PM
Were you ordered to risk your life or endanger the life of another outside of combat or approved training?

Were you ordered to violate safety regulations?

Were you ordered to commit a criminal act?

Were you ordered to commit fraud, waste, or abuse?

Were you given an order in violation of your rights?

Were you ordered to engage in personal servitude?

If you don't give us more we can't help.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-20-10, 02:01 AM
Bulk, it was known as "Silent Insolence" and yeah, by god, SNCO's could and would put a hurtin on you for it.

Anyway....methinks this one is going to go bye bye. Either it's a Sea Lawyer looking for a way out of something stupid, or just something dumb. LOL.

Whenever some sea lawyer PFC questioned MY orders, I figured he/she had waaaaay too much free time to think of such things, and kept them nice and 'occupied' until they were too tired to think up stuff. THEN I'd assign 'em a little 1000 word 'essay' due in a day or two, giving me a rundown of the UCMJ or some such.

(What, you think I got the name 'Malignant Leprechaun' from my looks? LOL)

Quinbo
05-20-10, 02:27 AM
At tun tavern the first recruit was given a free beer and told to go set on a bench. The next recruit was given two free beers and went and sat on the bench.

The first recruit said they gave you two beers? Let me tell you about the old corps... back when I joined we only got one free beer.