PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Going AR....

BJM0481
05-17-10, 09:14 PM
I got out of the Marines last year to try and live the civilian life with my husband, but miss being in. I am going through a divorce and think this is the perfect time to try and get in the Active Reserves. I was Active Duty before, got out a SGT. I am collecting 50% disability but don't have PTSD listed. I am claiming a bum knee and some other small minor physical issues. I still work out and am not worried about passing a PFT. I don't know what they do with the disability but I'm sure I would have to stop receiving it once I got back in. I have an RE-code 1A. Type of separation: Released from Active Duty, and Character of Service: Honorable. I had an MOS of 0481 while in and want to LAT-move to 0431 in order to have more opportunity for promotion as well as there are more available slots open to that MOS. I already have experience in it and a couple certifications preferred for the MOS. I have been attending college while out and have about 62 credits, but was told by a reliable source that in order to reenlist as an officer I would have to go active duty. I also am not sure what reenlistment bonuses are available for me. I don't think the MOS reenlistment bonuses apply if I go Reserve. I don't want to go DI or recruiter either. I am 25 years old so the age limit does not apply to me. I just wanted some opinions on the best way to go about getting back in, and how hard is it to get into the AR vacancies. Do I have to go Reserve first and then apply for the AR position?

Semper Fi

Wyoming
05-17-10, 09:17 PM
Forget the bonuses.

Worry about boat spaces.

BJM0481
05-17-10, 09:19 PM
Do the same boat spaces apply for the MOS in AR as they do on Active Duty? Where can I look to find out more information on that?

Wyoming
05-17-10, 09:22 PM
One of those recruiter types.

BJM0481
05-17-10, 09:26 PM
That's true. I just need to find a prior service one, because those regular recruiters don't want to waste their time with me. I was just hoping I could find someone on here who knew about going back in as Active Reserve and get some hands on advice.

Wyoming
05-17-10, 09:31 PM
So true, who are you?

<LI class=profilefield_category>About BJM0481 <DL class="list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><DT class=shade>Rank <DD>E-1 <DT class=shade>Year Entered Marine corps <DD>2005 <DT class=shade>Year Exited Marine Corps <DD>Still in Service </DD></DL>

BJM0481
05-17-10, 09:37 PM
I guess I should fill out my profile....

I got in 2005 and got out 2009
I got out an E-5
Went to boot camp on Parris Island (duh right? I'm a female)
My first duty station was Okinawa Japan with 3rd LSB
I went on one tour in Iraq in 06-07
Last duty station was Beaufort, SC
Got married while in but didn't work out
Been attending college but am bored with civilian life

Wyoming
05-17-10, 09:39 PM
I guess I should fill out my profile....

I got in 2005 and got out 2009
I got out an E-5
Went to boot camp on Parris Island (duh right? I'm a female)
My first duty station was Okinawa Japan with 3rd LSB
I went on one tour in Iraq in 06-07
Last duty station was Beaufort, SC
Got married while in but didn't work out
Been attending college but am bored with civilian life

That would be nice.

<LI class=profilefield_category>About BJM0481 <DL class="list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><DT class=shade>Rank <DD>E-1 <DT class=shade>Do you own a business? <DD>No <DT class=shade>Where did you attend bootcamp? <DD>MCRD Parris Island <DT class=shade>What date did you graduate bootcamp? <DD>September 2005 <DT class=shade>What was your bootcamp platoon number? <DD>4027 <DT class=shade>Year Entered Marine corps <DD>2005 <DT class=shade>Year Exited Marine Corps <DD>Still in Service </DD></DL>

BJM0481
05-17-10, 09:45 PM
Ok I fixed it now. Thanks for your help. Hope I can get back in soon. I am hoping to be back in by August...

Dragonscript
05-18-10, 07:30 AM
BJM0481: Here are a few links for you:

https://www.marines.usmc.mil/RS/PSR/PSR-RecCmd.html
http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/units/index.asp

I did something similar to what you want to do, so if you have any questions let me know. The first link above has contact info for prior service recruiters.

Right now you have two choices. The first is to re-enlist with a AR contract, but before you can do so you must find a unit, which the second link provides locations for units, which has openings for your MOS. A prior service recruiter can provide the info on which units need which people.

The second choice is to voluntarily activate yourself to AR, which i assume you do if you have any IRR time left on your contract. My squad currently has a former active duty Marine who is doing AR on his IRR time.

If you have more questions just ask them.

jarhead-0311
05-18-10, 07:39 AM
I got out of the Marines last year to try and live the civilian life with my husband, but miss being in. I am going through a divorce and think this is the perfect time to try and get in the Active Reserves. I was Active Duty before, got out a SGT. I am collecting 50% disability but don't have PTSD listed. I am claiming a bum knee and some other small minor physical issues. I still work out and am not worried about passing a PFT. I don't know what they do with the disability but I'm sure I would have to stop receiving it once I got back in. I have an RE-code 1A. Type of separation: Released from Active Duty, and Character of Service: Honorable. I had an MOS of 0481 while in and want to LAT-move to 0431 in order to have more opportunity for promotion as well as there are more available slots open to that MOS. I already have experience in it and a couple certifications preferred for the MOS. I have been attending college while out and have about 62 credits, but was told by a reliable source that in order to reenlist as an officer I would have to go active duty. I also am not sure what reenlistment bonuses are available for me. I don't think the MOS reenlistment bonuses apply if I go Reserve. I don't want to go DI or recruiter either. I am 25 years old so the age limit does not apply to me. I just wanted some opinions on the best way to go about getting back in, and how hard is it to get into the AR vacancies. Do I have to go Reserve first and then apply for the AR position?

Semper Fi

i got out of the marines in 03 and i cameback in 08 active duty if you are trying to comeback in and you are claming disability you will have to show that you are no longer medically dis-abaled also you will have to pay back all the money you have gotten in disability payments before they let you back in .

Wyoming
05-18-10, 07:59 AM
i got out of the marines in 03 and i cameback in 08 active duty if you are trying to comeback in and you are claming disability you will have to show that you are no longer medically dis-abaled also you will have to pay back all the money you have gotten in disability payments before they let you back in .

OUCH!!

That will take the wind out of some sails.

oldtop
05-18-10, 08:41 AM
You do not have to repay any disability that you have received, you do, however, have to renounce your disability with the VA in order to return to AD.
Contact your nearest reserve unit, go drilling reserve, then request AD. You will have to submit a package to the AR board. If you are selected for AR, you will be offered a position usually for 3 years.

BJM0481
05-18-10, 09:32 AM
Thank you for all your information Marines! I made an appointment with a prior service recruiter for today at 1400 so I have lots of questions ready for him now. I did ask him on the phone about the disability thing and he said I don't have to pay it all back (thank God cause it's like $11,000). I also found a unit in GA that needs my MOS, but I don't know if it is just on the reserve side or if there is an AR vacancy there...guess I will find out today. Wish me luck!

Semper Fi

BJM0481
05-18-10, 09:45 AM
DragonScript

Are you in the Reserves? Is the Marine you are talking about filling a specific billet in your Unit to fulfill his AR time? I know you can volunteer for Active Duty during your IRR time from 2 weeks up to the remaining amount of your term. I want to reenlist for 4 more years though. I just don't want to be stuck in some Reserve Unit drilling once a month and never get the AR billet. Well I guess I will find out more today like I said earlier... Thanks for your help and I will let you all know how today goes!

Semper Fi

temarti
05-18-10, 10:04 AM
The Savannah Unit is an LSB unit, they do deploy a lot.

BJM0481
05-18-10, 10:18 AM
I was under the impression that if you had an AR billet you did not deploy with the unit?

Dragonscript
05-18-10, 02:45 PM
DragonScript

Are you in the Reserves? Is the Marine you are talking about filling a specific billet in your Unit to fulfill his AR time? I know you can volunteer for Active Duty during your IRR time from 2 weeks up to the remaining amount of your term. I want to reenlist for 4 more years though. I just don't want to be stuck in some Reserve Unit drilling once a month and never get the AR billet. Well I guess I will find out more today like I said earlier... Thanks for your help and I will let you all know how today goes!

Semper Fi

I'm currently in the reserves, but i used to be active duty. I'm not sure if he has a billet, i think he is still on his IRR time.

I wouldn't worry about the AR billet too much. When i came back in, the unit i went to was already over TO for the MOS i wanted, so i have a 3 year IRR contract instead of a 4 year AR contract. That meant no re-enlistment bonus but i got the MOS i wanted so that's good enough for me. Because i'm technically on an IRR contract i can walk away at any time, but i've talked to my chain of command and told them i plan on doing AR for at least the length of my current contract, and because of that i'm treated the same as anyone else with an AR contract.

I was under the impression that if you had an AR billet you did not deploy with the unit?

I'm not sure about this question. I don't have an AR billet slot with the unit i'm with, but next year when we deploy i'll be going with them.