PDA

View Full Version : US Army enlisted to US Marine Officer

Tango707
05-16-10, 08:38 AM
My enlistment for the US Army is up in 2013. I am a 28 yr old male E5 with 6 yrs Active duty, Combat Arms MOS. My Bachelors will be complete by 2012. I was wondering if anyone had any idea if I had a chance to become a Marine Infantry Officer. I was doing some research and to start over in the Corps as an Enlisted Marine would put my family in to much of a financial situation. As from my research it seems that I would be busted down from an E5 down to an E1 and might get E3 after basic, but I am not willing to go that route if I could join the Corps as an Officer.

I know its still a few years out but if this is a possibility I want to start saving for the transition for my family from Military to civilian life now so we are not in a financial bind when we become "civilians" until everything that needs to go through goes through. I don't know how many Army guys have done this, I am sure not to many cross over like this. I sent an email through MarineOffficer.com already and just hitting up some forums and hoping if anyone has any first hand exp. in this matter. Thanks for you time and your service.

Tango707
05-16-10, 12:49 PM
Can no one shed light on this subject? I can get school done at a much faster rate and get a DD 368 done. Just want info to get the family ready.

Zulu 36
05-16-10, 02:01 PM
Can no one shed light on this subject? I can get school done at a much faster rate and get a DD 368 done. Just want info to get the family ready.

The vast majority of us on here are enlisted Marines. There are a few officers, but they pop in and out.

Regarding your questions, I suppose it is possible for you to apply for OCS if you otherwise qualify with education, physical fitness, age (possible waiver required, but your Army service should mitigate this).

OCS is not an "officer school". It is a 10-week leadership assessment and selection course. "Officer school" is done at TBS.

Regarding MOS, officers are not guaranteed an MOS except JAG officers and pilots. However, you do get to submit a wish list. If you are at the top 10% of your OCS and TBS classes, you may get a crack at infantry. Believe it or not, infantry is a hard MOS to get into in the Corps these days, whether officer or enlisted.

TBS is the basic school and all Marine officers (warrant officers, pilots and JAG included) are trained to be basic infantry platoon leaders. Officers selected to be infantry officers go "across the street" (literally from TBS) to the IO course (I think it's 8-weeks long).

I believe you are paid at E-5 rate in OCS, and of course, at O-1 rate while in TBS.

Normally I would suggest you find the local officer selection officer (OSO), but you're out of the country. Hopefully, you'll get a response from your e-mail soon.

Also, regarding going the enlisted route: yes, you would take a bust, but to E-2 (called contract PFC). Lance Corporal is only possible if you were a platoon or company honorman on top of that. During boot camp, your pay grade may be E-2, but your rank is Recruit and are treated as one until you earn the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Your prior service may give an early crack at a recruit leadership slot (squad leader, guide) which often lead to honorman.

Also, the Drill Instructors won't give you too much crap for being former Army, especially since you're a combat vet and have a PH. They will quietly respect that. Otherwise, they will demand the same of you as other recruits.

Tango707
05-16-10, 03:13 PM
Thanks for your reply and information on this subject. Did not know that Infantry was so hard to get. I know in the Army enlisted they give out Infantry like motrin. Thanks for your service to our country.

Zulu 36
05-16-10, 03:32 PM
Thanks for your reply and information on this subject. Did not know that Infantry was so hard to get. I know in the Army enlisted they give out Infantry like motrin. Thanks for your service to our country.

It just seems that everyone wants to be in Marine infantry and the boat spaces fill up fast.

It's the allure I suppose. :D

Thank you for your service too.

Tango707
05-16-10, 06:59 PM
Well from the MarineOCS.com I had a few responses and it seems that I have a better chance if I got out and became a student and did PLC due to little openings with the OCC route, know I am wondering if I should just do a DD 368 and do some enlisted Marine time and then try OCC. I apologize if I got some of the terms wrong, jargon is a bit different. Looked at some TIS/TIG for rank and don't know what I googled was uptodate. I don't mind losing some rank and relearning the Corps way which I understand (Wife keeps telling me Californai, Sexy man in new uniforman and a real boot camp to still real pride into me). So many avenues of approach unto my objective, don't know which one yet to maneuver on that would be best to complete my mission.

Tango707
05-16-10, 07:00 PM
So would I talk with a regular recruiter or a PSR?

BR34
05-16-10, 07:08 PM
You would have to speak with a officer recruiter (not sure what they're called). Enlisted recruiters only work with the enlisted ranks.

TunTvrnWarrior
05-16-10, 08:54 PM
So would I talk with a regular recruiter or a PSR?

Tango, call a Marine Recruiter in your area and ask him/her for the regional OSO phone number. Also, the following thread is the most in depth info I have read on Marine Corps OCS, I encourage you to read it. http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89794

brian0351
05-16-10, 11:59 PM
www.marineocs.com

DIBLO7
05-17-10, 01:06 AM
You're going to want to talk with an OSO (Officer Selection Officer) they are the officer recruiters. There are a couple routes you could take. There is the PLC course which it sounds like you've gotten yourself a little smart on, and the OCC course. The OCC is what you would apply for if your degree was already done. It is a 10 week course for OCS.

Unlike enlisted (most, there are a couple exceptions) officers don't sign up with a predetermined MOS. That is all decided at TBS which is 6 months long and goes after OCS. Being prior enlisted my understanding is that you'd be getting O1-E pay, even though your past time was in the Army.

indygti
05-19-10, 07:09 AM
Ignore this post.

Wyoming
05-19-10, 07:29 AM
Ignore this post.

DAYAM!

WTF.

We got a new Mod?

Sgt Leprechaun
05-20-10, 01:27 AM
Not to my knowledge, anyway...LOL.

Keep us up to date, Tango 707. And stay low.

v/r

JWDevilDog
05-24-10, 02:29 PM
If you go the Marine enlisted route first, and then later go through MECEP (Marine Enlisted Commission Education Program) I believe the minimum requirements are E3 (usually looking for E4s though) with at least two years in. I don't know if your previous TIS as Army would count towards that time requirement. They might want you to be a Marine for two years.

But everyone is saying the right things. Try to get in contact with a regular Marine recruiter and he can give you a phone number (or email address) to an OSO. An OSO can answer all your questions about this.