PDA

View Full Version : MCRD,San Diego 1981.

fespar
05-16-10, 07:23 AM
Looking to contact my Drill Instructors,Sgt.Baez,Sgt.Ferris and Sgt.Flynn.Also anyone from PLT.3034,Mike Co.,3rd Bn., May 18-Aug.7,1981.I was the "Old man" of my plt.:flag:

duragliter
05-16-10, 08:07 AM
I knew many of the Drill Instructors in "Murdering Mike" at the time. I was in "I" Company then, but you guys were right across the street. I went to DIScol with quite a few of them..

About a year after you were there, I worked with Ferris up at Edsen Range @ the Liason Office. He really enjoyed killing those friggan' gophers that tore-up the grass.

(laughing) You kids had a rough time in Mike then. Themz were some pretty friggan' nutz Drill Instructors...

fespar
05-16-10, 08:46 AM
Well,how about that!Yeah,we had a pretty rough time there then.Do you remember the recruit,in my platoon, who killed himslef with the pistol up at RFTD?You must've been in 3035 right?Did you have a Guide from Beaver Creek.OR who was the Honorman?

duragliter
05-16-10, 12:35 PM
Don't remember many recruits from other Companies but, I do remember the kid who shot himself at the Range. He was FAM firing the pistol, right?

I also remember that during the Congressional Investigation the little crap head caused, his father submitted a statement that there had to be a rogue sniper on CamPen.

After that, we did have to go to "benched-pistol" as opposed to "raised-pistol" during that exercise. During raised-pistol, the a33hole just turned his head and pulled the trigger. Cool thing was that the two Lance-Coolies that were supposed to be watching the string of fire (instead of shucking and jiving with each other) ended-up with brains all over them.

That was a tough year for MikeCo. A few more died. Hence, "Murdering Mike."

We lost a couple in ICo as well...

Was your CDI Naradzy at the time? He was VN kinda' nutz.

fespar
05-16-10, 01:19 PM
We were Fam firing and I was standing just behind him when he shot himself.I saw him put the pistol to his head pull the trigger.Remember well how the Marines around him ended up with blood and pieces of bone fragments on them.I don't know why he committed suicide but he had a hard time from the start always finishing last.And his cough!It kept us awake all night.The day he killed himself I noticed that he was crying in formation and wondered was was wrong with him.Yeah buddy,it was a tough time.

duragliter
05-16-10, 01:45 PM
Mike made some hard recruits.

Drill Instructor that slept in the rack above me at DIScol (Morillo?) went to Mike. He used to tell me how unusually loyal his recruits were from almost day one. Kinda' like they knew we weren't supposed to beat 'em, but, expected it.

Mike was always a week or two ahead of us. So, we kept in touch more. He told me once that "...I could cut one up and stuff him in a footlocker and they'd all cover-up and lie about it."

Perhaps that is the reason why the Company stayed in the crap.

We were smarter and sneakier in India...;)

samplrl
06-28-11, 12:17 PM
MCRD,San Diego 1981.
I was in plt 3039. May-Aug.
There was a suicide on the pistol range that cycle, not my plt.
My son is now in boot, and it is bugging me that I can't remember the kids name.

Anyone have a link to this story?

No, My son is doing just fine. He is now 4th squad leader.

MOS4429
06-28-11, 12:39 PM
I don't know why he committed suicide but he had a hard time from the start always finishing last.And his cough!It kept us awake all night.The day he killed himself I noticed that he was crying in formation and wondered was was wrong with him.

It's called depression.

The toughest hard a$$ can get it, right along with the most mild. When I went through bc in '78, I recall several instances of kids being depressed. One I met at AFEES in Oakland, talked sh!+ to no end. I was 17, naive, and couldn't figure out why after only a week of receiving before T-1, he went and requested a general, just couldn't handle it. Handle what? We did nothing but sit around and study knowlege awaiting to get everybody picked up, DI's off leave, and get rolling. Another kid, also during receiving, became depressed being away from home, tossed his skivvies in his laundry bag out the window behind a bush, was going to go AWOL that night, but again, being a naive 17 year old, I saw the bag, jumped out the window, crawled back in with it and took it to him. Shoulda seen his face! LOL. Anyway...I was told later what his plans were.

I was stationed at MCRD SD in '81, beginning in June, but didn't get down there much except to use the gym when Robbie Robertson was manager. My duty assignment was college up in Kearney Mesa and my job was to get good grades. LOL. But if recollection serves me, after this kid popped his cork, new training was implemented for early detection of depression.

fespar
06-28-11, 01:51 PM
The recruits name was Pvt.Franklin from El Paso.The Marines standing on either side of him really didn't have a chance to stop him.As he raised the pistol from the bench to fire another round he quickly continued raising his arm,put the pistol to his temple and fired away.

samplrl
06-28-11, 03:53 PM
Thanks Fespar,

Different plt but we were on the line when it happened. Scrambled off the line, in formation (half-A$$ed formation anyway), about face and stood there for 10 mins before scooted off to squad bay.

"Murdering Mike"? Never heard that phrase before. But then again, I never looked back, never had time in last 30+ years. Now that my son is in, that is all I find myself doing. Every time I remember one thing, FLOOD of Stuff comes back. Kinda cool. Me, I LOVED the Corps! Boot camp was nothing compared to my dad and numb nutz I hung out with and the times. Hard!

Was in plt 3039. 1981 May-Aug. I searched and CAN NOT find my plt photo.
DIs (Yes, still remember their names). They were all GREAT Marines. After 2nd phased I liked them that is. Not like swap spit or anything. Ha!

SSgt Moholand (spelling?) Grunt
Sgt Eskew - F Recon (Toughest 5'5" dude I ever meet! Still!)
Sgt Reveria - uh, chAir sWinger. Oh well, two out of three. LOL Sorry, Sgt, if you here, drop a line.

Some A$$ hole stole everything I had when in New Bern NC after Corps. Only thing I had left is my dog tags (which I wear every day with my John Wayne), shell frags, and my lanyard to my Howitzer. That's it!

I would REALLY like to get my platoon photos so I can have my grand dad, dad's, mine, and my son. And some day, perhaps my grand son too. I guess we ain't that bright of a family, but proud as H#LL ;)

If you run across anyone with plt photos I would GLADLY pay good money for them. You would think it would be request often since the unfortunate incident.

Again, thanks.

samplrl
06-28-11, 04:23 PM
All,
Oh yea, BTW, we had Cpl. Justin McLoud came home. Was SO FLIPPING proud of all my people painting the highway with Red, White, and Blue when he drove home.

Fund raiser on July 2nd for the young man and his family. GIVE!

fespar
06-28-11, 04:28 PM
I never heard "Murdering Mike" either,back then.Platoon photos from 1981 are no longer available from MCRD due to a fire some years ago.Have you tried contacting a fellow recruit to make a copy?It's been 30 years now,can't believe it.To think I was 30 at the time and 60 now.Sucks!

samplrl
06-29-11, 06:47 AM
Yea, how time flies when your getting old
raising next generation eh!

I am on / off here, which fourm would be best to
search for class of 81?

Rick

fespar
06-29-11, 08:43 AM
On top of this page is a SEARCH forum,try there.Also,why not place a free ad in Leatherneck Magazine?

raymopashow
09-06-11, 10:33 PM
I was in 2045 in 1981. we heard about the range incident and a drowning as well. reporters were starting to move around the base asking questions. our repelling was suspended until they investigated.

PD1981
10-28-12, 02:19 AM
Anybody ever establish contact with Sgt. M.D. Flynn?

He was my Senior Drill Instructor in Plt 3100 18Nov81-29Jan82. You'd think that after 30 years his influence would diminish, but on the contrary I find that each passing year brings an increased appreciation for what he and his team helped me become. His team by the way were Sgt. S.J. Corbitt and Sgt D.L. Ferris. I'd greatly appreciate the opportunity to drop them a note of thanks if anybody has contact info.

And btw... I remember well living in the recent shadow of the Murdering Mike stories. I came off range at Edson w/ a spent casing in my cargo pocket and the Drill Instructors just about sh1t a brick! To this day I don't know how it got there but guess it landed on prone/rapid fire.

Anyhow, Semper Fi and thanks in advance if anybody can help me make contact.

Recruit81
10-31-12, 05:31 PM
MCRD,San Diego 1981.
I was in plt 3039. May-Aug.
There was a suicide on the pistol range that cycle, not my plt.
My son is now in boot, and it is bugging me that I can't remember the kids name.

Anyone have a link to this story?

No, My son is doing just fine. He is now 4th squad leader.

I was in 3039. 1st squad leader. Remember that suicide SOB well. Can still remember looking down at the firing line. He was slumped over with a white sheet covering him. Remember Sgt. Eskue was mad as hell! Calling him a coward. Ah the memories!