PDA

View Full Version : How to tell my parents i want to go active

Caesar Augustus
09-10-03, 07:55 PM
I was going into the reserves because I was going to go to college and go thru the PLC so when I got my degree I would get commisioned and yet have experience as an enlisted Marine. But I have decided that I want to go active b/c I believe it will be better in the long run. I still have every plan on going to college because my goal is to become a Marine JAG. I just want to experience active duty first and then go reserves and get my degree. So what I'm asking is if you have any ideas on how I could inform my parents of my decision seeing how I will need their consent. They had no problem consenting to reserves but they may balk at me going active.
Any help is appreciated

Caesar

top1371
09-10-03, 08:17 PM
Any recruiters out there that can throw in 2 cents on this one? My brain is a little rusty, being off recruiting for 8 years, but if he is doing a component change I wouldnt think he would need to get another PC. (?)

As for the parents, you already sold them on the Marines, but as for the active side you might think about telling them about all the educational benifits.

Tuition in the active Corps is now 100%, plus you can sign up for the MGIB to use later. Some of your active training can transfer into college credit also.

firstsgtmike
09-10-03, 08:20 PM
Read the posts in both Poolee Forums.

They will provide a wealth of information for you.

The first and most logical "argument" that comes to my mind is: "Who will be paying for your college education, your parents or the Government under the G.I. Bill?"

ALSO, you will benefit more and get a better college education by attending as a 21 year-old Marine, than as a 17 year- old.

Read the forums, get the facts to back up those two truths.

If you can't win with those arguments, try crying. It worked for my niece.

Caesar Augustus
09-10-03, 08:32 PM
the Marines were already going to pay for my college so that wont work. My tuition was only 6000 and the PLC and reserve G.I. would cover that. no way i'm gonna cry that weak. not that men/boys cant cry cuz it is alright anyways thx. Uhh in your experience how hard has it been to go to college on a limited basis while you were active?

thedrifter
09-10-03, 08:36 PM
CA, if you truly want to become a United States Marine, you will find away to tell your parents what your plans are............Remember it is your life.........Adapt and Overcome......
If your parents refuse to sign for you to go active, go reserve than when you turn 18, you will still be in, you can always chance your status from reserve to active. Crying is not the way, only a fool would do this, and a true Marine is no fool. It has to be inside of you, it takes Heart and Soul to become a Marine and it lasts a life time.

The Drifter
:marine:

Sixguns
09-10-03, 08:54 PM
Top and the First Sergeant have covered it all!

Let the Corps foot the bill for your education while on active duty. Plus you will get job training, experience, travel and the pride of being a Marine at the same time. What a deal!!! Sign me up.... wait I already did that. Did I mention the great retirement benefits???

Follow your heart. You parents will support you no matter what. They have already supported your decision to become a Marine. All parents are skeptics at the thought of a son or daughter becoming a Marine. But, watch how much they brag about their child who is the Marine!!

Let us know how we can help.

SIXGUNS

top1371
09-10-03, 09:18 PM
As for going to college while on active duty...

My only regret was starting to go at the rank of Staff Sergeant instead of being focused from the beginning. Well, really I had no plans to go when I joined and it took time and experience in the Corps to change me enough to want to go.

I went off and on and got 114 credits to my name. Need a few more to finish the BS, but have put it on hold. I don't think it is that difficult, the only real sacrifice was the night life. Some people make excuses not to go, like no time. But they sure had time to watch tv and go out, while I used mine to go to school.

I am now retired and pursuing a few more Microsoft certifications which are related to my current job.

Once you become a Marine and get settled at your first command, learn what's going on, you should be able to start school.

Caesar Augustus
09-10-03, 09:39 PM
Yea I am dedicated to getting my degree but I want to go active because I know that if I dont go now I may regret it later but if I go active the worst that happens is that i get even more money from college and more respect from my peers as an officer. (I am not trying to call my self a Marine just saying what I hope to become.) Its good to hear that college is possible even if it entails sacrifice. The reason I dont want to go reserve and then switch is b/c right now if I switch I can either get 44, 02 or 26 just depends on what I feel is better for me and what the Corp needs more. Also has anyone been in one of the afore mentioned MOS's? If so would you mind telling me what it was like .You can get credit for your MOS training right. I heard that Intell has some training that in all is about two years. Do you know of any universitys that accept your Corporals course and other leadership courses you take while in? Srry for all the q's I'm just so anxious to become a Marine
Thx so much for the help
P.S. Heres a little story
While I was driving to my RS one day a guy in a truck sped in front of me and cut over into my lane as we stopped at a light. Well I noticed a Marines sticker on his truck that was faded and then he gave me a thumbs up b/c he saw the stickers on my back windshield. That was thoroughly motivating. That is why I want to be a Marine. Only the Corp has that type of bond that last forever. The Marine had to be atleast 55 and he was still proud to be a Marine. Man ya'll are awesome:D :D

marinemom
09-11-03, 05:51 AM
From a parent's point of view, tell them what you have posted here - and tell them now.

Your parents want what is the best for you in life - and you have made it clear that you feel the Corps is it. - Good choice!

With regard to the colleges and universities, and who accepts the courses, have you gone to MarineLink - www.usmc.mil? There is a lot of information on the site for you.

And once more, tell your parents what you have decided - clearly, concisely - and they may surprise you.

Caesar Augustus
09-11-03, 07:14 AM
thx Marinemom I guess I'l hope they understand

Apache
09-12-03, 03:42 PM
Roger that,your parents only want what is in your best intrests.Talk to THEM>

Caesar Augustus
09-12-03, 06:11 PM
if any of u have info on the 02 and 26 MOS's it would be greatly appreciated

Caesar Augustus
09-12-03, 06:19 PM
which one gets deployed more cuz i want to get deployed to have that experience before goin reserves. I dont want to sound nieve(sp) but I'd like to get the experience before I get married well if i get married. It would be easier also. Do officers get deployed as often as enlisted?
thx

GySgtRet
09-15-03, 05:40 PM
Caesar Augustus,

There has been alot of excellent information pasted here to you. Above all let your parents know what you want to do. They allready have confedence in you and what you want. As far as 02/26, I know one is Intel and the other I am not sure what it is. If I had the MOS chart I could help.

Sorry,

Semper Fidelis,

GySgtRet

Caesar Augustus
09-15-03, 09:02 PM
yea i just told em and they said they'd sign for me to switch but they thought it was stupid and didnt really support me but when I come back they will see why it is a good decision. thx everyone for your help!

Sixguns
09-17-03, 09:50 PM
Well, the reality is your decision will be financially beneficial to all parties concerned. You will obviously gain the most by going active duty. You cannot put a price tag on the experiences and pride you will gain from being a Marine. You can always go Reserves later. If I had a dollar for every bar fly who told me "I almost joined the Marines" or "I wanted to be a Marine," I'd be a rich man. Don't regret not having had the chance to be on active duty. THe Corps is a young man's game... GET IN THE GAME WHILE YOU ARE YOUNG!!! You can retire at an earlier age or be that much younger when you complete your first enlistment. I am proud of your decision and soon your folks will be too.

SIXGUNS

Caesar Augustus
09-17-03, 10:15 PM
thx six for the boost I know it is a good decision and I will be proud of it for the rest of my life