PDA

View Full Version : General McChrystal: No Need for A Different Medal

Rocky C
05-15-10, 02:07 PM
By William H. McMichael (bmcmich@atpco.com?subject=Question from MarineCorpsTimes.com reader) - Staff writer
Posted : Thursday May 13, 2010 18:14:23 EDT
<FORM id=hidden> </FORM>
The top general in Afghanistan said Thursday he believes the concept of “courageous restraint” should be recognized but that a new medal to do so isn’t the answer.

A spokesman for Gen. Stanley McChrystal’s International Security Assistance Force confirmed earlier this week that a proposal was making the rounds for a medal that would recognize heroic efforts to protect innocent civilians during combat — a key tenet of the force’s counterinsurgency strategy to win hearts and minds.

McChrystal said in response to a question on the proposal during a Pentagon press conference that he agrees with the concept and that courage in uniform “can come under actions that may not be as expected or as traditional, involving killing the enemy. They may involve protecting civilians.

“There’s a great photograph from the Marjah operation,” McChrystal continued. “I think it’s a U.S. Marine shielding an Afghan man and an Afghan child with his own body. He wasn’t shooting anyone. He didn’t kill any Taliban. But I would argue that he showed as much courage as any that I’ve seen on the battlefield.”

But, McChrystal added, “I don’t think we need a different medal to differentiate different kinds of courage.”

ISAF spokesman Rear Adm. Greg Smith said McChrystal has made his intent clear in video conferences with commanders and that it will be up to them to determine the appropriate level of such an award.

Possibilities might include the services’ various commendation medals, and the Bronze Star or Air Medal, awarded for meritorious achievement or acts of heroism “in connection with military operations against an armed enemy.”

HST
05-15-10, 04:15 PM
This guy is just another army, I'm a tough guy, bullsh*t artist, like westmorland. The President needs a real military leader to advise him, A Marine!

AAV Crewchief
05-15-10, 06:37 PM
This guy is just another army, I'm a tough guy, bullsh*t artist, like westmorland. The President needs a real military leader to advise him, A Marine!

Oh here we go......

Tango707
05-16-10, 09:34 AM
I am relatively new here and way not in my own waters but I do not see what is wrong with his statement and also Gen. McChrystal's using a Marine as an example should merit some credit.

Wyoming
05-16-10, 10:08 AM
I am relatively new here and way not in my own waters but I do not see what is wrong with his statement and also Gen. McChrystal's using a Marine as an example should merit some credit.

You are Army, so I can see where you would want more medals.

FoxtrotOscar
05-16-10, 10:20 AM

We need to have a real President first....!!!!!!:mad:

HST
05-16-10, 11:17 AM
We need to have a real President first....!!!!!!:mad:
Oh Here we go

HST
05-16-10, 11:40 AM
Incidently, I've got nothing against soldiers, I've known many that were balls to the wall, its the army leadership that I don't like. The azz kissers seem to be the ones that rise to the top while the real fighters are shown the door. The Corps has their share but we haven't sunk quite as far as the army...yet.

Tango707
05-16-10, 12:23 PM
I can only see your point of view to a certain extent the only real one I care about is my Purple Heart.

Tango707
05-16-10, 12:40 PM
I never stated saying we needed more medals. I agreed with Gen. McChrystal's statement saying that we do not need more medals for different kinds of courage and further gave Marines credit my saying that he gave a Marine as an example of courage that did not require a medal.