PDA

View Full Version : United States Marine Corps Unit Awards Manual

thedrifter
09-10-03, 05:29 PM
NAVMC 2922

MMMA

3 JAN 2003

FOREWORD

1. PURPOSE. To publish a listing of all unit awards that have been presented to Marine Corps units since the beginning of World War II.

2. CANCELLATION. NAVMC 2922 OF 21 APR 2000.

3. INFORMATION. This Manual will provide a ready reference for commanders in determining awards to which their units are entitled for specific periods of time, facilitate the updating of individual records, and accommodate requests by Marines regarding their eligibility to wear appropriate unit award ribbon bars.

a. Presidential Unit Citation (PUC), Navy Unit Citation (NUC), Meritorious Unit Citation (MUC):

(1) All personnel permanently assigned or attached to the cited unit who were actually present and participated in the action or actions for which the unit was cited are authorized to wear the ribbon.

(2) Unless otherwise noted, transients, students, temporary additional duty/temporary duty personnel, and tenant commands are not eligible to participate in the award.

(3) Civilian personnel, when specifically authorized by the Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV), may wear the designated lapel device. Reservists who receive unit awards as civilians are not eligible to wear ribbon bars on their uniform.

b. Joint Military Unit Award (JMUA):

(1) Under Department of Defense policy, personnel must be assigned and/or attached by "official orders" to the cited joint unit or task force receiving the JMUA, either as an individual or member of an assigned or attached unit. Additionally, they must have participated in the service/achievement for 30 days or more, or the period cited, if less than 30 days.

4. DESCRIPTION. This publication is intended to provide an all-inclusive summary of unit award entitlements. It is supplemented by the periodic awards updates in Marine Corps Bulletin (MCBul) 1650.

a. Data regarding unit awards will be listed in four columns as follows: Unit, Award, Period, and Remarks.

b. The letters "SU" in the remarks column is an abbreviation for "Supporting Unit." The command, following the letters "SU", was awarded the decoration.

c. The commands are listed in numerical/alphabetical order. To facilitate the location of units within this Manual, use the index to locate the command and check the unit according to its numerical/alphabetical order.

EXAMPLE #1: To find Company A, 1st Battalion, 8th Marines, 2nd

Marine Division, check the index for the location of 8th Marine Regiment, then turn to the page number listed and find the 1st Battalion. Next locate Company A and verify entitlement to awards.

EXAMPLE #2: To find VMA-211, check the index for the location of the aviation units, then turn to that page and find the unit which is listed in numerical order.

d. The entry "See Individual Unit Listing" in the remarks column indicates that all subordinate units that are entitled to the award in question are specifically listed under the specific unit. In many cases, the units that were attached to a command receiving a unit award were attached for only a partial period of time during which the award was authorized. These dates are so indicated.

5. ACTION. Unit commanders are authorized to make appropriate service record book entries, once it has been established that the Marine is entitled to the award.

6. FREQUENCY. This Manual is revised and issued annually.

7. RECOMMENDATIONS

a. This revision contains a substantial number of changes and should

be reviewed in its entirety.

b. Requests for changes/additions/corrections to this Manual must be submitted via the chain of command to CMC (MMMA) and should include all necessary support material pertinent to the request.

c. This edition of the Unit Awards Manual contains all awards prior to 15 Jan 2000. Awards approved after this date can be researched using MCBul 1650. This Manual is applicable to the Marine Corps Reserve.

8. CERTIFICATION. Reviewed and approved this date.

T. P. MURRAY

By direction

DISTRIBUTION: PCN 10001361200

Copy to: 7000106 (50)

8145005 (2)

7000099, 144/8145001 (1)

Here is the Link.....and then click the blue box.....
https://lnweb1.manpower.usmc.mil/manpower/mm/mmma/awardsref.nsf/StoredFile/NAVMC+2922/$File/navmc+2922.htm?OpenElement#Firstfssg

Where to write for medals
Bureau of Naval Personnel
Liaison Office Room 5409
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Chewy
03-04-10, 02:31 PM
Are there any USMC Units that were in Vietnam awarded a "Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation" ?

Rocky C
03-04-10, 03:29 PM
Are there any USMC Units that were in Vietnam awarded a "Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation" ?

Yes Chewy. Here is a List. Scroll halfway down to Vietnam and you can see the Marine Corps Unit List, dates, etc.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Unit_Citation_(United_States)

IGNACIO CASTIL
03-04-10, 10:26 PM
Is there a website that shows what units in a supporting role in 66&67 that were awarded the Combat Action Ribbon?Looking at my ribbons given to me in Okinawa 67,and you look at my 214 and they don't match.All of my fellow Marines say I'm missing two ribbons,and one that is not in my 214.We were issued a brand new Issue just like in Boot Camp.Everything in our Sea Bag had mildew.As a matter of fact all my ribbons were already on my new Blouse.I would like to hear from old salt.Semper Fi----Ignacio

Sgt Leprechaun
03-08-10, 02:37 AM
No. The Combat Action Ribbon, or 'CAR', is a personal award and such won't show up on the unit awards manual. (Because there are Marines in the unit that might not rate the ribbon).

The DD-214 is likely the correct reading of what you have, unless you have documentation of something else you were 'given'. That documentation would be paperwork, certificates, etc.

If you think it's in error, you'll need to do some paperwork to request a change of records.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-08-10, 02:39 AM

No. No Marine Corps units were EVER awarded a "Vietnamese Presidential Unit Citation".

Only the MAAG assigned there in the mid 1950's got that award. It was a 'one time' thing.