PDA

View Full Version : Marine just wants to fly Corps' flag

thedrifter
09-10-03, 10:27 AM
Marine just wants to fly Corps' flag
The Intelligencer

The last thing Joe Fels wanted to do was start a war. All he wanted to do was fly the flag.

Joe flies two flags outside his home in the Legacy Oaks development in Warrington, the American flag and the U.S. Marine Corps flag.

Joe spent eight years in the Corps in the 1950s. He was a sergeant in the intelligence section with 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines. Like all Marines, he's proud of his service.

So on Nov. 10, 2001, the Marine Corps' birthday, Joe put out the red flag bearing the golden eagle, globe and anchor that is the emblem of the nation's most elite fighting force.

It was two months after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, and the way Joe saw it, flying the flag of the Marine Corps next to the national ensign was just another expression of patriotism during a time of national crisis.

And so the two flags have flown proudly outside Joe's house ever since.

But this summer the residents' association at Joe's development told him that the Marine Corps flag would have to come down. The community has rules about what can and cannot be displayed outside homes, and while it's OK to display the American flag, it's not OK to display the Marine flag, Joe was informed. If he didn't take it down, he would be assessed a fine.

But Joe wasn't going to lower the colors of the Corps without a fight. He petitioned about 60 of his neighbors, and a vast majority of them supported his efforts.

A retired director of media services with Unisys, Joe sounded off about his predicament in the Vent section of the Intelligencer in August. That got the word out and also landed the issue on some of the many Marine Corps Internet sites. Soon Joe was getting e-mails of support from Marines all over the country.

What it all comes down to, Joe says, is how one interprets the section of Legacy Oaks' regulations that deals with flags.

The rules permit a flag mounting bracket attached to a home for an "American flag display."

Not permitted are signs, decorative flags or seasonal banners or flags.

The way Joe sees it, the Marine Corps flag is neither decorative nor seasonal, and flying it next to the Stars and Stripes constitutes an "American flag display."

He'll air his case at a meeting with the community's executive board this week. Hopefully, they'll agree with his interpretation of the rules and permit the Marine Corps flag to be displayed.

But Joe's willing to compromise. He pointed to a recent piece of legislation in Florida that allows condominium unit owners to fly flags of the armed services on certain military and patriotic holidays.

Joe could live with something like that; it's not all or nothing.

"I didn't want to start a war over this," he remarked last week. "I like where I live, and I like my neighbors. I only wanted to rile up a little patriotic fervor during a national crisis."

Semper Fi, Joe.

Lou Sessinger's column is published Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. It's also on the Internet at www.phillyburbs.com. He can be contacted at the Montgomery County office of The Intelligencer, 145 Easton Road, Horsham, PA 19044; phone (215) 957-8172; fax (215) 957-8165; e-mail, lsessinger@phillyburbs.com.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/137-09072003-155057.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

GySgtRet
09-10-03, 10:58 AM
Joe,

Don't give in! The pride of your country and your service are both expressed in the flying of both of these patriotic symbols of our nation. Soon we will have to get permission to breathe,...BS, don't let them do this....!!!!
I was the president of my homeowners association and there was a stigma that we were natzis. In some occations you have to step in. With to great symbols like that it is a no brainer.

Joe, you have my support. And that you for your years of service to our COPRS and COUNTRY.................!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fidelis,

GYSgtRet

Red Dragon
09-10-03, 11:24 AM
There are four (4) flags that Marines should be allowed to fly/display everywhere in this great country of ours.
1. AMERICAN FLAG
2. MARINE CORPS FLAG
3. POW/MIA FLAG
4. YOUR STATE FLAG

Red Dragon aka HL

jryanjack
09-10-03, 12:05 PM
I heard about another vet, here in the Philly area, that raised the POW/MIA flag in his association and went through the same problems. When it comes to patriotic flags, these associations are way off. The rules are designed to not to offend anyone, however, if anyone is offended by any of the flags that Red Dragon lists they can go to hell!

SemperFiGirl79
09-10-03, 03:43 PM
Joe,
Last time I checked, America, was still a Free Country! A country you helped serve I might add. :) Don't give up, and Don't back down! Myself & many others support your cause & stand behind you.

Take Care,

Kate ~ SemperFiGirl79

top1371
09-10-03, 04:12 PM
That's why I made sure I didnt have a HOA in my neighborhood before buying a house. The only drawback is that there is one junky yard in the entire block.

One family went as far as putting a 10 Commandments sign in the center of their front yard.

Devildogg4ever
09-10-03, 04:22 PM
I'll never understand why we live in America and some people will not let you live like an American!! How can anyone be offended of an American military flag? If not for the military, would we have an American flag to fly? I think not! I also agree totally with Red Dragon!!

thedrifter
09-10-03, 04:38 PM
I fly my flags Proudly.....and only live about 15 minutes from this Marine.....

Are any members of this board...anti-military...wanabee's...?
There prejudice...shows thorough and don't belong on the board.....

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

JAMarine
09-10-03, 04:43 PM
As for me, I will fly mine.

Sempers