PDA

View Full Version : Question about acceptance of high school diploma from other country.

tekorei
05-12-10, 09:56 PM
Hello Marines, this is my first post in this forum, after looking into the other posts I learned a lot, but have one question.

I'm from Paraguay, a South American country, recently I've been given my green card and wanted to join the Marines to give something back to the great Country that is giving me the opportunity to live here, The United States of America.

After talking to my uncle that is a former Marine, he told me that my Paraguayan high school diploma maybe won't be accepted because there is a difference in the education of each country, can you point me if i need something else than my Paraguayan high school diploma, to join the marines? Do i have to do my high school again in the United States? and if i have to do it again, will it be better to do a G.E.D. instead?

Any recommendation will be appreciated.

Hope you can take away my worries.

Best regards.

Lisa 23
05-12-10, 10:02 PM
I can't help you with your questions, but you'll need to fill out all of your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to :thumbup:......and you may also want to read the site rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums, too.

Also, Marines is always capitalized.

tekorei
05-13-10, 11:26 AM
My profile it's now fillet out properly, I apologies to all Marines because i didn't fillet it sooner.

I'll wait for a recommendation, in a few more weeks I'll go to a recruiter center/office and see if they can accept my high school diploma. The reason I can't go now is my work, can't just drop it.

Meanwhile, if anyone can make me a recommendation or orientation I'll appreciated.

Thank you for your guidance WMarine.

Best regards.

tdrt
05-13-10, 12:09 PM
This is all I could find from another thread. You're just going to have to go in and talk to a recruiter about the diploma and/or other educational requirements.

"Enlistment into the U.S. Marine Corps, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 — commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently."

Wyoming
05-13-10, 01:33 PM
This is all I could find from another thread. You're just going to have to go in and talk to a recruiter about the diploma and/or other educational requirements.

"Enlistment into the U.S. Marine Corps, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 — commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently."

... and using a Spanish to English translator does not qualify.

tdrt
05-13-10, 01:37 PM

ya know, if I didn't know you better, I'd call you an assh....:D

Wyoming
05-13-10, 02:01 PM
ya know, if I didn't know you better, I'd call you an assh....:D

... but I am. Thanks for the compliment.:bunny:

tdrt
05-13-10, 02:11 PM
... but I am. Thanks for the compliment.:bunny:

Any time, muffincakes.

Wyoming
05-13-10, 02:20 PM
Any time, muffincakes.

Muffincakes?:angel:

My gawd, that is giving me the beginnings of a wooxxxxxx.:D

Ooops my bad, can't say stuff like that in the wading pool.:bunny:

tdrt
05-13-10, 03:02 PM
Muffincakes?:angel:

My gawd, that is giving me the beginnings of a wooxxxxxx.:D

Ooops my bad, can't say stuff like that in the wading pool.:bunny:

Yes, dear, not in front of the children....

tekorei
05-13-10, 04:18 PM
Thank you tdrt, as my mother use to say, if it's not prohibit, then it's allowed. As much as i had look in the internet about the ASVAB and the high school diploma your answer is the most completed i had found.

BigAlHolmes165, i do speak and write a weird English, i know, but i do not use a translator. But this shows that maybe i need more practice in the common English, thank you for the highlight.

Finally, thank you all for taking interest.

Best regards.

tdrt
05-13-10, 04:26 PM
Good luck and let us know how it goes. You do plan on speaking with a recruiter soon, I assume.