PDA

View Full Version : question for Fellow Marines

wbk9
05-10-10, 04:42 PM
curious to know what is the longest you or anyone you know has been out of the Corps and then re-enlisted either active or reserves. I really miss the brotherhood and the challenges of the Corps and have talked with some fellow Marines about maybe trying to get into a reserve unit but have been out a while. Semper Fi Devil Dogs

Bdchi1
05-10-10, 05:11 PM
wbk9 -- I believe it has less to do with your duration of seperation than it does with your actual age minus time served. For example, take your actual age and subtract your time served...if the difference is less than 35 years at your date of reenlistment, then you are still eligible. I think your biggest problem will probably be the fact that there is high retention rates and high enlistment rates at this time. Therefore, you may not be able to compete for the positions of those that are on active duty since the get first dibs over your return to your potential slot.

But what do I know...I'm just an old fart that is no longer eligible for reentry in the Marines. Search the threads on this site. I am sure this has been covered at least once.

Search on line for MCO 1130.80A Prior Service And Reserve Augmentation Enlistments.

S/F

wbk9
05-10-10, 06:41 PM
thanks for the info i have already talked to a prior service recruiter and with my time in service and age i am still elligible i just feel like i have been out a while and was seeing if any one had a story i could relate to

Sgt Leprechaun
05-10-10, 11:39 PM
Ha! I was out from 1989 and reenlisted in 1997. It was a different Corps than what I remembered....but still the same in many ways.

You aren't gettin' any younger, so JUMP now LOL

wbk9
05-11-10, 08:52 AM
I appreciate the replies Devil Dogs Semper Fi.

usmc3521
05-12-10, 08:38 PM
I was out in 1999, working with my psr right now. Going to my unit tomorrow to have the C.O sign off on my tattoos and get my hiv test on the navy side then more paperwork lol!! So over ten years for me, I can tell you first hand that there is no chane of going active sadly(the corps is 3-4000 over manned right now) but lots of boat space in the reserve side(atleast where I am anyway)

make the leap bro!! S/F

Blutic
05-12-10, 10:09 PM
I joined in 1995, did active duty and reserves until 2001. Got out and just got back in.

wbk9
05-13-10, 09:33 AM
I really appreciate the replies Devil Dogs I have already talked to a psr and he thinks I have a chance just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't crazy, truthfully if I had Known what I Know now I would have never left. The wife has said i am good to go so i am working my butt off to prepare myself physically. The psr said it was somewhat of a long process so better get it started and cross the fingers and hope for the best.

mattymedic9
05-13-10, 02:49 PM
I got off active duty in 1997 and got back into the USN-R last year. I am currently trying to go back to the USMC Reserves. My Navy unit will grant a release to go Marines, they have done 2 in the past year. One was for someone to go back AD in the Marine Corps and the other was for someone to go Navy Reserve to Army NG.

I emailed the Marine reserve unit I want to attach to and the career planner there told me they could take me but then I called the PSR and the Gunny told me that he could not put me back in right now. I would need to go to an MOS school and this late in the fiscal year they could not swing it. He (The PSR) told me to call him back again and maybe he could fit me in later. The PSR told me that being in the USN-R would make it easier to go back to the Marine Corps rather than coming in off the streets.

I was hoping I could just release from the Navy and attach to the unit regardless of MOS. I have a buddy there who got off active duty and attached there even though his AD MOS(Air Crew) was nowhere near any MOS they rated and he waited 2 years to go to MOS school.

Anyways, all I can do is keep trying. By the way I am 35 years old and I have 4 years active duty and 1 year Reserve TiS. I'm an E-4 and would go back to E-3 if that's what it took to get back green.

S/F

tdrt
05-13-10, 03:00 PM
I really appreciate the replies Devil Dogs I have already talked to a psr and he thinks I have a chance just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't crazy, truthfully if I had Known what I Know now I would have never left. The wife has said i am good to go so i am working my butt off to prepare myself physically. The psr said it was somewhat of a long process so better get it started and cross the fingers and hope for the best.

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

...and take me with