PDA

View Full Version : PMO School/dog handler/mounted color guard?

lizanator
05-09-10, 04:03 AM
Hi everyone, just wanted to get some info on PMO school and being a dog handler. I know a dog handler is part of PMO, is it a seperate MOS? If I got into that, could I keep on doing it or would I have to go back to being regular PMO eventually? Where is PMO school? I heard it was in Quantico, is this correct?

If anyone is a dog handler here (or was) I'd appreciate some info, I've tried to do as much research as I can. I work well with animals and think I'd be good doing something like this, as well as having tons of fun!

Also, does anyone have any info on the Marine Corps Mounted Color Guard in Barstow? I've only seen the stuff they have on the internet, and can't seem to find a POC. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? Is it a volunteer type thing, a FAP, or an MOS? This would interest me most, but it's pretty far from my house in Cali...would I be able to get some kind of geo bachelor status if I was there for only a few months, if it's a FAP/TAD type thing?

Thanks a lot!:)

ADTraill87
05-09-10, 06:54 AM
As far as I know you must meet the prerequisites (like any MOS) but I know that first you must complete MOS school in the top 10th percentile and you'll be asked if you'd like to be a dog handler. That's what I've got for information from some of them I've worked with. I'm sure once you're in the fleet after a couple years and dedicating your free time to be near the dogs and trainers, they might let you go to school. Just like any MOS you must first play Russian roulette with a specific field. Do your best you'll be alright.

ADTraill87
05-09-10, 06:58 AM
Gotta' finish PMO MOS school top 10th percentile, they'll ask you if you would like to go to school for it. Good luck, it's a hot field.

lizanator
05-11-10, 05:29 AM
Well I've been in the fleet almost three years, and it's getting down to either getting out or staying in. I'd only stay in if I could lat move to something I'd be better at...I can get by with my job, but I'm not great at it.I'd be better working with animals, and would enjoy it more.

If I reenlisted specifically for the dog handler job, would I be guranteed it? Or would I have to reenlist for PMO and take a chance at not getting it? My career planner is working on getting an answer, but it's been a while now.

thanks for the input!