PDA

View Full Version : Ran a redlight.

biesseb
05-08-10, 09:05 PM
I was in Escondido, CA browsing apartments for my wife and I to move into. Driving down Valley Pkwy, I briefly looked down at the directions I had written down only to look up a second later and see that I was going through a red light.

I suspect the light might of actually been yellow than turned red as I went through, but regardless I have no way of really knowing. I went back to the intersection that I believed I had passed through and didn't see any traffic cameras set up.

Anyway, to cut to the point. What is the Marine Corps response to this? I believe I have heard something like "traffic fines that are $500 are more warrant an NJP." Any truth to this? Obviously I'll consult an NCO, but seeing as it is a weekend I thought I would get some responses from the board here.

Running a redlight in California seems to stoop just below the $500 mark from my brief research. Hopefully I can learn from this without the Corps getting involved.

polizei
05-10-10, 11:28 AM
Did you actually receive a ticket?

Komenko
05-10-10, 12:17 PM
I was in Escondido, CA browsing apartments for my wife and I to move into. Driving down Valley Pkwy, I briefly looked down at the directions I had written down only to look up a second later and see that I was going through a red light.

I suspect the light might of actually been yellow than turned red as I went through, but regardless I have no way of really knowing. I went back to the intersection that I believed I had passed through and didn't see any traffic cameras set up.

Anyway, to cut to the point. What is the Marine Corps response to this? I believe I have heard something like "traffic fines that are $500 are more warrant an NJP." Any truth to this? Obviously I'll consult an NCO, but seeing as it is a weekend I thought I would get some responses from the board here.

Running a redlight in California seems to stoop just below the $500 mark from my brief research. Hopefully I can learn from this without the Corps getting involved.

$370 to be exact! don't believe you will get a NJP for that. I've been a Legal Chief for 7th ESB and i've never wrote up a UDP for out in town traffic fines. if there were no cameras don't worry about it. I've seen my fair share of Drivers in Temcula run red lights and no cops or cameras around!

Sally
05-10-10, 12:36 PM
No, you won't. I accidentally did that a couple of times and I still haven't received a ticket and it's been a year. I'm not sure what's going on, they'd sent me the pictures and a form for me to fill in to send it back. Anyway, I know friends who had gotten the tickets and never been NJP, SNCO wouldn't have to know either since its off base, you just gotta pay the tickets.

I ran through a toll road without paying because I forgot my change at home, I looked at the camera and I said I'm really sorry but I don't have any change please send me the bill. I haven't received anything in the mail yet.

Komenko
05-10-10, 12:45 PM
lmao Sally you rebel!

Marine84
05-12-10, 09:30 PM
LOL @ Sally! I did something going through a toll up in PA - I thought I would need change so I made sure I had enough change on me. You have to pull a ticket at this thing and pay when you get off at whatever exit. I understood the sign above to read "NO TICKET" so I went through one of those lines and nobody was standing there (the machine kicks a ticket out at you but I couldn't see it) so I drove on through. I get off at my exit, pull up to booth and ask the woman in there "how much?". She asked where my ticket was and I asked her what ticket. She then schooled me on how toll booths work in PA and that I owed the State of PA 21.00! :scared: .................and they wouldn't take a credit card. I'm lucky as hell to have had a checkbook on me.

B - if you haven't had a ticket yet, don't worry about it. If you do have a ticket, just pay the damned fine and go about your merry way. You're guilty, you said yourself you "looked down" and "the light might actually have been yellow and turned red when I went under it". Loose lips sink ships - pay the fine!

blackup
05-13-10, 02:05 PM
If you never report it nobody will ever know. I know Marines with DUIs that never told their command, they didn't get double-****ed by the Corps.

Garyius
05-13-10, 05:35 PM
Seriously. If your CO gives you office hours for a traffic infraction off base, and you otherwise haven't been in trouble, post his name here-- I would be happy to confirm it with him-- and then beg my congressman to block his next promotion. I expect most of the folks here would do the same.

The fact you think he would has me worried about him or his SNCOs--which at the end of the day are him.

Rocky C
05-13-10, 05:45 PM
I ran through a toll road without paying because I forgot my change at home, I looked at the camera and I said I'm really sorry but I don't have any change please send me the bill. I haven't received anything in the mail yet.

PRICELESS!!!:thumbup::D

Zulu 36
05-13-10, 08:11 PM
I always enjoyed the drivers who argued with me until they were purple in the face that they didn't run a red signal, that it was amber.

So, OK, no problem, I'm like Burger King, have it your way. So I wrote them for entering an intersection on an amber signal and gave it to them saying, "You win." They almost acted smug.

The sad thing? The fine and points were exactly the same as a red light violation.

Yes, I know I'm an ***hole. My ex-wife still frequently reminds me.

Komenko
05-13-10, 08:31 PM
I always enjoyed the drivers who argued with me until they were purple in the face that they didn't run a red signal, that it was amber.

So, OK, no problem, I'm like Burger King, have it your way. So I wrote them for entering an intersection on an amber signal and gave it to them saying, "You win." They almost acted smug.

The sad thing? The fine and points were exactly the same as a red light violation.

Yes, I know I'm an ***hole. My ex-wife still frequently reminds me.

lmao you *******! :D

Osotogary
05-13-10, 09:04 PM
Went through a Sun Pass Prepaid Florida Toll Booth because I missed the Turnpike Ticket Booth (I was in the wrong lane and couldn't get over to the extreme right lane where the Turnpike Toll Booth was). No way to turn back, so I drove home, called the folks that operated the Florida Turnpike and mentioned that I had inadvertently by-passed the ticket booth. I wrote them a check for, I believe, 75 cents or $1.25. The paperwork probably cost more to process. I made sure to make copies of both check and Turnpike ticket.

Wyoming
05-13-10, 10:45 PM
Gary, why does that not surprise me.

Of course you did this.:banana:

You are such a Boy Scout.:bunny:

Did you ever hear back from them?

BTW, what is the fine for simply running the toll?

Tolls are not something we have in the Tetons. Our county, is larger than the State of Connecticut and we don't have any traffic lights.

Quinbo
05-14-10, 01:52 AM
I was at shoneys at the all you can eat breakfast buffet and I didn't eat all that I could eat. Do you think I should report it to my command? Do you think I will get office hours for not eating all that I could eat? I'm not sure if there were cameras there and I didn't get a ticket but still.... Do you think I should turn myself in?

Osotogary
05-14-10, 03:54 AM
Did you ever hear back from them? - No.

BTW, what is the fine for simply running the toll? - Beats the heck out of me, Big Al.

Boy Scout? - I don't think so. LOL.